Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1st 1/2 marathon, any advice?

2»

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    When should I attempt a longer run? I know I may have to walk. Is it better to jog the eight and attempt the 5 as a walk first? Is it bad I may have to walk some? I feel guilty walking but I don't want to push to fast where I injure myself either. Is it bad that my rest day is my 12 hour work day working in a busy ER?

The half marathon training plans will typically have you do several short fast runs during the week, and a long slow run on weekends. Your total mileage for the week will typically increase 5% to 10% until you do 10 to 12 miles one to two weeks before the event. If you're concerned about walking, don't be! Check out Jeff Galloway and his run-walk-run method. You switch between running and walking at regular intervals, and are able to go faster. Your 12 hour day in the ER wouldn't strictly be a rest day, but if you're not pushing your heartrate constantly for those 12 hours, you're probably OK.

I prefer Gu Chomps with caffeine as my fuel when I run.

As a general rule, find what works for you, and don't do anything new or different the day of your event. No new shoes, socks, clothing, foods, fuels, liquids, etc. Training is the time to try things. Event day you need to rely on what you know works.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    That's what happened in my half-marathon, I messed up on my phone, I was trying to ignore a call and stopped my runkeeper. So I had to stop and fix it, went back to run and the cramps just would not let me. So I had to walk about 100 feet, then get back into running - it was my last mile too!
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    Some advice that I got from my doctor friend who is my running inspiration...1 walk thru the water stations....2 for every hour you are out there, eat your beans or gel. 3 go easy on your nite before eating, or you will poop your pants. Ok, maybe not, but your tummy will thank you.