So upset-hols looming, feel disgusting..please help :-(

Options
Hi,

Yesterday I went in M&S to try on a dress...not a problem, I already know I'm overweight and knew the dress wouldn't look right. The problem was...I caught site of myself in a 360 degree mirror and had absolutely no idea that I looked as terrible as I do.

I can't believe I have let myself get so overweight and I have no idea why my husband still finds me attractive, three and half stone heavier than I was five years ago before giving birth to my first baby, I've since had another and have gained another stone.

So...I am 5ft 3, and weigh 176lb!!! I am going on holiday in 6.5 weeks and would love to wear a bikini, I know I won't look like I did 5 years ago but is it possible? I joined the gym last night and have booked a class for the next five days. I plan to exercise 5 times a week.

Can anybody give me some tips, ideas and suggestions on how I can lose at least 14lb before August 9th?

Karyn x

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be able to lose a stone by August but you need to except this may not happen. Your goal shouldn't be by a particular date but to get the weight of keep it off and be healthy and active.. Don't hate yourself it happens the best thing you can do is move forward. The best tips are in the links I will post below just remember this is no quick fix you didn't put the weight on over night so it wont come off that quickly. The links give you advice on how to lose wait in a sustainable way that you are likely to keep it off. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be able to lose a stone by August but you need to except this may not happen. Your goal shouldn't be by a particular date but to get the weight of keep it off and be healthy and active.. Don't hate yourself it happens the best thing you can do is move forward. The best tips are in the links I will post below just remember this is no quick fix you didn't put the weight on over night so it wont come off that quickly. The links give you advice on how to lose wait in a sustainable way that you are likely to keep it off. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Please read these links. Work on getting healthy for your family, rather than getting into a specific bathing suit.

If you can find a bikini that makes you feel great - go for it. But if you can't, find a one piece that you feel good in and enjoy the holiday. It sounds like your husband loves you, your children love you and they will never remember whether you had a bikini or a one piece suit on vacation. What they will remember is whether you were having fun with them or sat covered up, under an umbrella because you were too self conscious.

Find some vacation clothes that fit you well and that you like and then please - go have a good time. :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best thing you could do for yourself is read those links and start implementing those suggestions into your life.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Please read these links. Work on getting healthy for your family, rather than getting into a specific bathing suit.

If you can find a bikini that makes you feel great - go for it. But if you can't, find a one piece that you feel good in and enjoy the holiday. It sounds like your husband loves you, your children love you and they will never remember whether you had a bikini or a one piece suit on vacation. What they will remember is whether you were having fun with them or sat covered up, under an umbrella because you were too self conscious.

Find some vacation clothes that fit you well and that you like and then please - go have a good time. :flowerforyou:

Yes to all of this.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Yes to all of this.

Agree as well. You've gotten some great advice right out of the gate OP.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    kayk22, I was 5'2" and 185 when I finally decided to lose the weight and get fit!
    I turned my feelings of sadness and despair at my weight gain after 3 children and unrestrained eating, into determination to turn things around for myself.
    It took me a while because I would lose 20 pounds and then stay at that weight for a time. I was trying to get my body accustomed to each loss and teaching myself to maintain.
    You don't have to rush. You will get there and stay there if you really want it!
    I feel so much better now in every way!
    My husband also was attracted to me no matter what my size but I still wanted it for me AND him because my children and husband deserve a happy, healthy wife and mother and I deserve it most of all.
    Above all-read the links provided and take them to heart.
    The slower way is the most sustainable and healthy!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    The best thing you could do for yourself is read those links and start implementing those suggestions into your life.

^^^ I agree. Short term aims are OK but this needs to be a lifestyle you can stick with or you'll lose weight and then put it all back on. Please make a start on your healthier lifestyle - you will be able to enjoy being more active and feel better, not only for your holiday but every day - but don't fret about whether you can wear a bikini by then or not - enjoy your holiday with your family - they grow so fast, don't waste the precious times worrying about how big you are. I wasted so many years with my children being reluctant to join in with them because I was too big - didn't feel comfortable in a swimsuit. You know what, they didn't care how I looked, what they cared about was whether I played with them, swam with them and had fun.

If you don't lose enough to wear a bikini this year - you could do so easily next year! But don't put life on hold and hate yourself until that time - get out there and have fun regardless.
  • kkay22
    kkay22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely people! :heart:

I am so overwhelmed by your lovely words and advice.

I totally understand that this has to be a change of lifestyle and I am so ready for it. I want to be a good and healthy role model for my daughter and my son, I want to look amazing for my husband and I want to feel as healthy, strong and confident as I did before I let myself slip.

It's amazing how many women fall into this kind of situation after having children. I can honestly say that I really didn't know how bad I looked until yesterday and it has been a shock, an eye-opener and has given me the kick I needed to get back in control.

I am going to read the links posted - thank you. Log all my food honestly get active! Oh, and enjoy my holiday with my wonderful family. :smile: Karyn xx
  • KaseyMackenzie
    KaseyMackenzie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post 100%. I would aim to get as fit and healthy as possible, withOUT putting stress or pressure on yourself to meet some hypothetical standard that may or may not be possible, especially in such a short period of time. Then find a bathing suit you feel awesome in and enjoy the heck out of your holidays for you and your family because you all deserve it! And if you don't feel comfortable in a bikini THIS holiday, there is always next year. The most important thing is to start getting healthier and more active now, however you are personally able, and enjoying life rather than making yourself feel bad.

You can do it!

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    WTBbikinibody2.jpg
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I totally understand that this has to be a change of lifestyle and I am so ready for it. I want to be a good and healthy role model for my daughter and my son, I want to look amazing for my husband and I want to feel as healthy, strong and confident as I did before I let myself slip.

It's amazing how many women fall into this kind of situation after having children. I can honestly say that I really didn't know how bad I looked until yesterday and it has been a shock, an eye-opener and has given me the kick I needed to get back in control.

Just so you know, this happens to guys too (minus the pregnancy part):bigsmile:

Change of lifestyle is key thing to remember. A diet implies there is a finite end once a goal is reached. I think you will find with the people in this community, youre not going to want to stop once you start.

Feel free to friend if youd like.

Fsunami
  • jennb529
    jennb529 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This, this this!!!! I was in the same position a few weeks ago before leaving on vacation. Seriously trying to starve myself thinking I could lose weight fast...of course that only led to sabotage.

Although I didn't want to to buy bigger clothes than the too small shorts in my drawer, I finally broke down and went shopping. I had a great vacation, gave myself a break on how I looked, ate when and what I wanted and enjoyed my family.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some excellent advice in here and you seem like a very level-headed person who will take that to heart. I just want to add that even for people at a healthy weight, the lighting and mirrors in a dressing room are extremely unkind. Don't get too discouraged by what you see in an artificial environment!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

^well said.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so worried what the look like on vacation one week a year? The other 51 weeks they don't care. But on vacation week it matters. It's kind of a thing.

Can you think of any other week out of the year when there's a camera out at all times with people asking you to smile?

Unless you're a selfie junkie, vacation is as much about the pictures as anything.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I am going to read the links posted - thank you. Log all my food honestly get active! Oh, and enjoy my holiday with my wonderful family. :smile: Karyn xx

I was in your spot at one point as well. 5'8" 200lbs with two very very young children.
    I found MFP started logging my food, and working out regularly. It's done wonders.
    Follow the advice that's given here, it's all good advice. Be disciplined but ENJOY your precious time with your family.

And let me say, even after losing all that baby weight.. Mirrors are STILL unkind. I think any woman would agree.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A bit off thread, but it always makes me feel a little sad when women berate their amazing bodies because they change after giving birth to, and breast feeding, babies.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm going on holiday in 4 weeks, I decided months ago I wanted to wear a bikini this year (first time in over 20 yrs). Every time I start to go off the rails with my eating I take a look at my new bikini and ask myself do I really want to eat that cake/biscuit/bag of crisps.

Saying that I'm not sure if I'm going to reach my goal weight in 4 weeks so now I'm not worrying about the number on the scales and trying to tone up my body.

Like others have said the most important thing though is to have a fantastic holiday and enjoy every moment relaxing with your family.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am going on holiday in 6.5 weeks and would love to wear a bikini, I know I won't look like I did 5 years ago but is it possible?
    If this is about a holiday, you will not succeed. Unless it is a lifestyle change, you will not succeed. Many tried and failed.