Why am i gaining weight :(

Options
2»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle on a deficit...
    There are circumstances in which you can. It doesn't generally happen, though.

It's negligible and is usually only known to happen in people who are very overweight and / or have never done any real strength training before or in the recent past.
    Right. So "can't" is wrong. I'd guess there are any number of first time lifters around here. And very overweight people.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle on a deficit...
    There are circumstances in which you can. It doesn't generally happen, though.

It's negligible and is usually only known to happen in people who are very overweight and / or have never done any real strength training before or in the recent past.
    Right. So "can't" is wrong. I'd guess there are any number of first time lifters around here. And very overweight people.

Well if you want to split hairs, be my guest. My point was that you really can't gain substantial, or even visibly noticeable, muscle mass on a calorie deficit. Hence the use of the word "negligible". It's nothing someone should be worried about and surely not something they should be upset about. Muscle is a good thing.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3" but I weigh a little more than you - about 135 pounds. Lifting weights has been my new hobby and will NOT make you bulky. I do very little cardio. It changes the shape of your body and will make you less "squishy" and you'll be more firm and have a better look overall. You won't necessarily lose weight while you do it - but really, as many people on here will tell you, the number on the scale does not tell the whole story so you should try to get out of that mindset. Weight can fluctuate day to day for a number of reasons. Progress can be seen in many other ways - like how you look and how you feel. Do not be afraid to lift weights! Also, you may be overestimating your calorie intake which is causing you to gain.

<- Edit: I am 135 lbs in both of these pictures. Thank you weight lifting ;)

Fantastic job!

Jumping on the whole denial of the weight training makes you bulky. Like my friend above I too started a weight routine. and am the same weight in all the pictures (153 pounds).
    a13a3c75-5cc2-419b-87bb-dc8350de977e_zps3f116fc1.png

So no a weight routine will not make you bulky (unless you are eating enough calories in order to gain weight - ie 3000+) but if you start out on a new exercise it will likely cause water retention. You can and hopefully will gain muscle, which could account for your gain on the scale as well, but the muscle is going to occupy a smaller space than the fat does. You will look better overall than simply being thin will do for you.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Your diary isnt open and when it was you were eating less than 1100 at most.
    With the amount of calories put in and the amount of exercise youre doing. Cycle class. Elliptical and biking, and then back to the gym in one day, i dont know why it baffles you that you are gaining. You arent giving your body the energy it needs so it holds on. You need a lifestyle change or you will really jeoperdize youre health and life. (Some of your posts are suicidal because you gained 2 lbs or belly fat).

You need to love your body and start treating your body with love. Nourish it, you will have that body for the rest of your life. If you dont start loving it, what about five years down he road? Will this be your life struggle?

^^ Yep. I don't even remember her eating that many calories :(

I removed her because I can't watch her slowly kill yourself. :(

I hope you get well, RaychelLouderback n when (if) you do please feel free to add me back.