Mucus due to Milk Consumption - EWWWW!

Hi,

I've been having 200ml of Skimmed milk every morning but found that I've reverted back to an issue I had when I was younger where I found my body was producing too much mucus and I would end up backed up and blocked up. When I did pass a stool it would be jelly like and gross. This is happening again, it also happens if I consume too much pasta.

Does anyone else suffer with this and I'd also like to know how much different it is to consume Almond or Rice Milk instead of cows milk... Any experiences?

Thanks

Doris x

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,369 Member
    Have you considered that you actually intolerant to dairy and perhaps gluten? If that is the case, almond or rice milk should be fine.
  • I used to have a regular colonic and it seemed to completely me clear me up, that was 4/5 years ago. It's just the last few weeks that it seems to have got worse. Mostly through milk consumption.

I'll be trying Almond milk, I was just concerned about the calories but it appears to be better than cows milk!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Almond milk has lots fewer calories than cow's milk, but less protein. Also more expensive. I drink almond milk and love it.

I wouldn't say you're intolerant to either gluten or lactose if you aren't having symptoms like stomach ache, diarrhea, nausea, etc, but I've had that before from drinking milk where you develop more mucus in your sinuses and stuff like that.

I'd try out different forms of milk that aren't dairy. Some of them are pretty good! And low in calories.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Milk can produce mucus, yeah. It's why, as a high school choir geek, I was told to avoid it before rehearsals and concerts. I love milk though so I didn't always follow that, oops. I'm too broke to afford it every week though, let alone alternatives so eh. There are other ways to get calcium if it bugs you.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I wouldn't say you're intolerant to either gluten or lactose if you aren't having symptoms like stomach ache, diarrhea, nausea, etc, but I've had that before from drinking milk where you develop more mucus in your sinuses and stuff like that.

A food intolerance can cause many side effects and they don't have to be related to gastric distress. Food intolerance can show itself through things you wouldn't even link to food, like joint pain, headaches, etc. I am dairy intolerant and it causes me to break out (acne) and straight up milk or yogurt will make me congested.

Edited to add: I did an elimination diet with the supervision of my doctor to determine my dairy intolerance. The OP doesn't need to go that far but it certainly sounds like they could have a food intolerance.