TREADMILL & ELLIPTICAL BOREDOM

Options
I NEED TIPS ON HOW TO OVER COME THE BOREDOM OF TREADMILL AND ELLIPITCAL. I LIKE TO BURN CALORIES ON EACH OF THEM BUT I CANT SEEM TO STAY ON LONGER THAN 20 MINUTES BECAUSE I GET BORED, EVEN WITH TV AND MUSIC. WHY DOES IT TAKE 20 MINUTES TO BURN SOMETHING THAT TOOK 2 SECONDS TO CHEW??

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    LOL! I hate them too. I have both so I do 15-20 minutes on each. Music and TV don't cut it for me either but I do what's gotta be done. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Check out exercise.about.com. They have tons of treadmill intervals routines. You start out with a warm up walk, then you up the speed and/or incline and create a baseline pace then the harder intervals start. You go back and forth for as long as you want. I'm so busy watching the time on the treadmill because I have to keep changing the speed and incline that I don't have time to get bored. Plus you burn more calories in less time. What's nice is the harder intervals are usually only a minute or two and you can adjust the speed/incline to your own pace. I taped the sheet to the treadmill.
  • pellenga
    pellenga Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a gym with a track that you can walk around instead? Also there are other ways to get your cardio like: Aerobics, Walleyball, Racketball, Swimming, Rollerblading (if its nice outside).
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    And they have 20 minutes to 60 minute routines!
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    Read a book. Hold hand weights and do upper body workout. Talk to yourself. ;) Try other machines. Lift weights after your 20 min and then go do another 20 min.
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    totally agree..its boring! but..... i do find my favorite music makes it allot better, esp my two favorite artists. but regardless its gotta be done! think of what your motivation is ... new skinny girl clothes? sexier you.... what ever makes you motivated! keep it up!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    The tips above are great!
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    Take Spin Classes. Last an hour long and get you going with intense cardio for fat burning and one hour of that class if you do well can burn you 1000 calories! DO IT DO IT!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I have the same issue.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I first got my stationary bike, I was like you said. Bored, bored, bored.. Could barely make it a half hour, and that was pure mentaI torture! Now I use my Ipod, put on music that is very high energy (not sure your music taste, but I have used everything from Green Day, to The Offspring, to OK GO), and can go for an entire hour on the stationary bike. I don't let anyone interrupt me either, because I'll lose my focus. I also have to increase the difficulty level every few days, as well as music variation to help me keep the motivation and focus. Good luck!
  • katoka97
    katoka97 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    :) I know the feeling,...
    I tell myself you have do it...
    I listen to the music, 30 min. of exercise is only about 6 - 7 songs :)...
    you can make a playlist of your favorite 20 songs...sing along
    remember, hard work will pay off!
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think 20 mins is a great amount of time.
    500 deficit from diet
    200 to 300 depending on your machine

Wow! 800 daily * 7 = 5600
    You'll be melting off a 1 1/2 lbs. Week.

Exercising is like dieting, Even your favorite food can get boring, You need to switch it up. Take it outside, Videos, Get a workout buddy, Get a workout buddy.

70 to 80 percent of a fatloss program is diet.