Do you recommend 30DS or Instanity for newbies?

Options
Flyers1010
Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
Hello everyone! I started MFP a week ago and have had about 25 pounds to lose consistently for the past 5 years. I CAN be successful when I track food and commit to exercise, but for about 10 years I've been a yo yo (since having kids, quitting smoking, and getting a desk job).

I run short distances and do weight training off and on these days - not terribly consistent - and I haven't lost a pound in forever. I signed up for a Warrior Dash that's less than 8 weeks away and need to begin a strength training program that will make a difference fast.

Anyone love or hate either 30-Day Shred, Insanity, or other in-home or gym-based routines? I would love feedback and recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS once. It is a decent program but I have issues with it. I NEVER did it daily. There is no way. If your muscles are not used to the workouts, you are in so much pain after day one that you can't walk. I did it every other day....and I got shin splints.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    They both can be intense workouts. I did Insanity every day for awhile and ended up with a knee injury. I would say either is fine for a few days a week, but as a beginner, do not do them daily! You will be so sore and you don't want to end up hurting yourself. Personally I think 30DS is a little less intense and I like it a lot better.
  • moniquejanaeh
    moniquejanaeh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done both during my yo yo days. As a newbie, I would suggest 30DS over Insanity by a long shot. In fact, I'm back from not working out consistently for about a year and I'm starting with 30DS and plan to move on to Insanity afterwards. I will say that 30DS is by no means easy. It WILL be hard and you WILL be sore. Best of luck!
  • LWBanks
    LWBanks Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you considered 21-Day Fix? It is a great program for a newbie to working out. Incorporates cardio and strength training in 30-minute a day workouts. I did it recently and got awesome results! Message me if you have further questions.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity as a beginner and lost 1.5 stone and had no injury problems. I would recommend it if you understand your limits to start with and do more each workout to progress.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 of level one and I am 59. B/C of a lower back disc problem, I have to modify anything with impact. Before I started this I had been walking and riding a recumbent bike for 4 months.
  • luna323
    luna323 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recently started the 30DS as well and it definitely has been challenging. I complete it every other day for right now. I think insanity will be a great goal to get to once 30DS is complete.
  • CLA1134
    CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've done 30DS though not as directed. I tend to lose interest quickly if I have to do the same thing over and over again. I've had it for a few years and haven't tried level 3 (plan to give it a shot soon). I use L 1 or 2 as a filler on days between walking/running, some of the P90X workouts, and other stuff. It's a lot lighter/shorter, so it's like a break.

It does hurt a lot when you first start, but after a while, it's no big deal. I work out and watch Netflix at the same time, so this video is perfect. It's easy to memorize so you don't have to listen to her talking. It helps me stick to it when I can focus on something more interesting.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 Day Shred, but it was NOT for me. I didn't even make it a week because I was so bored with it. Personally I love p90x3. Its only 30 minutes and everything in it can be modified. Although I happen to love Insanity and Les Mills Combat too ... all of which can be modified. And no ... I'm not a Beachbody coach. I just happen to love their workouts :) I think the key is finding something you enjoy and will keep your interest. That's my biggest issue, because if I'm bored I won't stick with it. I know 30 Day Shred is on Youtube if you wanted to try out a workout or two and see if you like it. Just a thought.
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! I think I will begin with 30DS, probably doing it every other day, as some of you recommended; and then try to work my way to Insanity or one of the others that you suggested. I know one workout at a time is better than no workouts at all!

Hope you all have a happy and strong day! :-)
    - K
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I started out with the 30DS first, and then moved right into Insanity about a week after I got done with the 30DS.

I had no issues doing the 30DS everyday. It's challenging, but it's not as hard on your body as Insanity is.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, I hope you get a lot out of it! I just am not cut out for working out at home. It's kind of like college, I need to be in a designated place for school or I won't do anything! Same with fitness. If I'm at home, I will sit on my but. If I go to the gym, I am focused.