Question For Those Who Weigh Themselves Daily

Options
2»

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What's killing me is not only do I have the fluctuations like your experiencing, I've gone from the upper 130s to low 140s. It's maddening. BUT, all my clothes fit exactly the same if not better and I'm running faster than i did a year ago. So, while I'd love for that scale to move back to the 130s, I'll say I'm good where I'm at!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally normal to me.
    My fluctuations can be 3lbs in a day or 5lbs in a weekend. Often I know why (salty foods, alcohol, big meals, long cycle ride, heavy training.....), sometimes it's a complete mystery.

My final weight loss was 2lbs in three weeks and then 2lbs in two days without changing anything.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Other things affect your body's weight. Sodium, hormones, time of the month, stress, sleep. Even when you try to be 100% consistent, things vary. Its the overall trend that matters.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Mine is slower. Typical 7 days of weigh ins for me is something like this:

Monday 180.2
    Tuesday 179.8
    Wednesday 179.2
    Thursday 180.2
    Friday 180.0
    Saturday 179.4
    Sunday 179.0

(sorry if this is TMI but the only time I see a jump of like 3 lb downward in a week is the week preceding my period)
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes...I have the same problem - I weigh myself every single morning when I wake up - and I can be up or down by a pound or whatever. I am maintaining so the reason I weigh every morning is because I want to make sure I am not losing anymore weight...the gain is okay as it is not by much and most likely water retention but if it gets too low then I know I have to eat more.
  • ABBAbode
    ABBAbode Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    very normal. its water weight

its not just diet that effects water retention, stress, exercise, environmental factors, sleeping patterns all play a role. thats why you have to look at trends over time not just day to day weight

True that !! During my 36 pound loss over 6 months, the TREND was down. The daily weight varied up to 8 pounds per day. The weekly trend was encouraging but the monthly trend was best.

Water weighs the same in a bottle as in your body. Namely,
    1.0 Kg per Litre or
    100 grams per 100 ml or
    1.0 pounds per 16 ounces or
    0.5 pounds per 1.0 cup or
    1.1 pounds per 500 ml
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies! I'm just so surprised that my water weight or whatever it is, will retain for like 4 days and then drastically drop... but it's good to hear there isn't anything wrong.

I'm not sure anyone is actually addressing your question. If I understand you're not just seeing "plateaus", you're seeing multiple days in a row where the scale reads exactly the same. Is that so? Here are the images you posted:
    BoKFdgL.png
    DD9jDlP.png

I have seen evidence that my scale retains its previous measurement if the new measurement is close to the previous measurement. For example, if I weighed in at 165.2 on one day, and the next day actually weighed 165.0, the scale would still report 165.2. The rumor that I heard (and it's only a rumor as far as I know) is that some scale manufacturers do this to keep people from freaking out over small daily changes.

I have worked around this in the past by taking something that weighs more than a pound with me onto the scale, weighing, and then re-weighing without the extra weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have seen evidence that my scale retains its previous measurement if the new measurement is close to the previous measurement. For example, if I weighed in at 165.2 on one day, and the next day actually weighed 165.0, the scale would still report 165.2. The rumor that I heard (and it's only a rumor as far as I know) is that some scale manufacturers do this to keep people from freaking out over small daily changes.

I have worked around this in the past by taking something that weighs more than a pound with me onto the scale, weighing, and then re-weighing without the extra weight.

I have this issue with our newer scale. I usually put a big dictionary on it (do people use paper dictionaries for their intended use anymore?) and then stand on it and then let it clear out and weigh myself alone again. Then I get on our older scale and compare the numbers. One weighs to the tenth of a pound and one weighs to the half pound so I like to see if they match up. FWIW, the scale that gets stuck is one of the WW body fat models.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The expectation that you would see a linear drop of incremental ounces on a daily basis is completely unrealistic. Weight control is not a linear function and your body weight isn't static. Nobody weighs exactly XXX lb all of the time. You have all kinds of stuff going on here that is going to result in NATURAL body weight fluctuations. People have mentioned water retention/release...a number of things can effect this including hormonal changes, exercise, sodium, dehydration, etc. You also have the timing of food in/out...more or less waste in your system from the previous weigh in, etc.

You need to be observing the overall trend, not the day to day fluctuations.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    yep im usually at a pound loss for a day, will shoot up to 2-3 pounds up, then suddenly be four pounds down when all is said and done. it's odd but as long as the big picture/general trend is moving the the right direction, i dont stress about it.

my weights for the past two weeks:

Weight 6/24/2014 132.7 lbs

Weight 6/23/2014 134.5 lbs

Weight 6/22/2014 131.4 lbs

Weight 6/21/2014 131.8 lbs

Weight 6/20/2014 132.3 lbs

Weight 6/19/2014 132.3 lbs

Weight 6/18/2014 133.6 lbs

Weight 6/17/2014 132.9 lbs

Weight 6/16/2014 133.6 lbs

Weight 6/15/2014 134.9 lbs

not worried about it because i am now bouncing around 131-135, rather than bouncing around 133-137 as i was two weeks ago - so i can see a difference and itll all keep slowly going down eventually. i track every day just for personal interest BTW.

Thank you for posting your recorded numbers! I just got a digital scale a few days ago and was wondering about it as I thought I might see a small decrease every day...this was good info, I will just record it and see. I am curious too just for myself to see if I can find patterns, or what my pattern might be :smile:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    ^yup.

Mine did the same thing in weight loss. Sometimes, it goes up a p o in or two as well and then goes back down. Ah, the scale. Ever will I hate you. Take measurements too! And pictures! They'll be more telling when the scale is being mean! ;)

This! Or try on some clothes at least. I was frustrated because of the scale these past few days. Then I put on some pants that were too tight a week ago. They fit great. So the scale is a filthy, sadistic liar. As usual.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I find this to be completely normal. I fluctuate all the time, but always just a couple of pounds... it is particularly bad once a month and I usually gain a bit that week only to see it disappear when it is over. It used to be quite discouraging, but at some point this year I stopped caring (no idea why or how) and it has been better for my ability to keep moving forward.

I also noticed that my scale "saves" weights, so I weigh myself more than once each morning. The matching 2 out of 3 wins.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I never get numbers that bounce up and down but I still don't like the inconsistency of the numbers.

Believe it or not your weight does fluctuate, if you weighed yourself at night you most likely would weigh more. The jagged weight loss is normal. I weigh daily and at odd times to learn my range, it is normally about 4lbs over 48hours. When a new low will be hit, the day before my weight stays in the bottom of my current range, then the next morning I see the new low.

Being consistent on timing and water intake, does help stabilize nthe numbers but hormones, digestion, workouts, sodium, alcohol, humidity and a million other things effect the numbers as well.