Sore muscles and size debate

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
So, I was just talking to a friend. We had a discussion the other day about what I think he needs to improve. He's over 6 foot, i'm not sure his weight but he looks great to me. I just suggested he works on muscle tone, specifically arms/chest and abs. I asked him today if he lifted while at the gym yesterday and if he was sore. My back and sides are a little sore from my work out yesterday. He told me that he's been lifting for a while and that he's never sore, other than his legs from starting to run more. I told him that I've been strength training/lifting for a while too and that I still get sore. He informed me that it's because I'm small (I'm 5'5" and 130). Is that true that just because he's a big guy that he should never be sore from lifting at the gym? I've never heard of that making a difference but then I haven't ever known any big guys that work out.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    So, I was just talking to a friend. We had a discussion the other day about what I think he needs to improve. He's over 6 foot, i'm not sure his weight but he looks great to me. I just suggested he works on muscle tone, specifically arms/chest and abs. I asked him today if he lifted while at the gym yesterday and if he was sore. My back and sides are a little sore from my work out yesterday. He told me that he's been lifting for a while and that he's never sore, other than his legs from starting to run more. I told him that I've been strength training/lifting for a while too and that I still get sore. He informed me that it's because I'm small (I'm 5'5" and 130). Is that true that just because he's a big guy that he should never be sore from lifting at the gym? I've never heard of that making a difference but then I haven't ever known any big guys that work out.

LOL, not at all. Soreness comes as your body adapts to the training stimulus. When you first start training you were probably very sore because your body was having to adapt to something very new. Overtime you probably still feel some soreness but are probably less sore than when you started. There are probably some days where you're not sore. Some of it also depends on how you train. If one week you Squat, have soreness, and then don't squat again for another month then your body never had time to adapt to the Squat, which despite popular believe about muscle confusion is not actually a good thing. You need to adapt to get stronger.

I'm not sure what your friend is doing, but it sounds like you probably have a better clue than he does.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Yeah, I get the feeling that he needs to add more variety to his work outs, maybe up the weights, and I don't think he's eating enough protien to gain the desired results.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If I'm not at least a little sore after a workout I think I cheated myself and could have done more or lifted more. But that's just me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I agree.

Dude's just so condescending, I don't think he'll ever admit I'm right! Oh-well, doesn't matter to me, I've got my work outs down great!

He laughed when I told him that I didn't think size was a factor :huh:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I think your friend was indulging his "creative" side.... I have been at this since I was 21 and the only time I am ever sore is after I have slacked off for over a week and a half. And I am tiny. And I am 57. So..... the experiential evidence does not agree with him.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sore is only related to how often you do- or do not do something.

now. The only connecting thread is- he has bigger muscles? he's been working out more- which means he doesn't get sore.
    You don't have big muscles- you haven't been working out as much- you still might get sore.

correlation=\= causation.

so if you do yoga regularly- and he doesn't- odds are he's going to be sore as *kitten* the next day.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    He informed me that it's because I'm small (I'm 5'5" and 130).
    :laugh:

I suppose he must stand next to 8 or 9 foot people often given his stated lack of "soreness."
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

now. The only connecting thread is- he has bigger muscles? he's been working out more- which means he doesn't get sore.

Not necessarily. He can be strong but if he were to increase an acute variable such as volume, he would likely get sore. Soreness is how the body manages the training stimulus and just about anybody is susceptible to it under the right conditions. Often you'll see recommendations for advanced lifters to tone down the volume as to minimize soreness and increase recovery.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. He can be strong but if he were to increase an acute variable such as volume, he would likely get sore. Soreness is how the body manages the training stimulus and just about anybody is susceptible to it under the right conditions. Often you'll see recommendations for advanced lifters to tone down the volume as to minimize soreness and increase recovery.

I realize this- I was pointing out that could be where his boneheaded comment stemmed from.