Lost 100+, had surgery, now finding challenges.

Options
I had jaw surgery a few weeks ago. Not allowed to exercise for 14 days, and now only light non-impact for the next 2-4 weeks. I had to be on a liquid diet for the first week and dropped 12lbs but I quickly was able to chew soft foods and let that be an excuse to over eat while I was not exercising. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it but I gained back all I had lost the first week and since I've started losing I've never fallen back that far, maybe 4 lbs but never more than 10. One big blockage to success has also been my schedule, recovering from surgery meant no work for 3 weeks and I'm just about to start a new job next week which will get me back on track, plus I am moving in about a month and the new place has such a great gym- I hate the current one but my allergies make working out outside harder. *sigh* lots of excuses, low motivation.

I know I can apply the same resolve as I did before, I just need it to click in my head again. I would love to hear a few short stories of bouncing back from a physical or emotional set back that caused a gain for you. I am keen to hear what got you back, what worked for you personally. I'll see if I can adapt your method to myself!

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far... 100+ is a tremendous achievement. So both times that I've been pregnant I've used that as an excuse to take things easy and eat any thing I wanted. Two things that really aren't recommended when you're having a healthy pregnancy, as a result I put on 50+ lbs each time... oops. I'm currently working on baby#2 weight, but after baby#1 I lost the weight plus some and was literally in the best shape of my life. But I struggled. The trick for me was to be connected with people who could keep me accountable on a daily basis. People that I checked in with everyday, who shared their successes and struggles, and who cheered me on. Find that accountability, create it yourself if you have to. It sounds like you know what you need to do, you just might need that extra push to finish the race. Let me know if I can help... best wishes! Dala
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You will be able to bounce back. You've already made such progress! You already know how to do this!

We had a house fire back in March, and I got derailed to say the least. Being uprooted and having our lives turned upside down was a great "excuse" for me to binge eat, eat out, and quit trying to find time to be active. Rebuilding a life is hard. But 3 1/2 months later, I have gotten myself back on track and I know I will be able to reach my goals if I keep moving steadily forward, because I already know what I have to do. I think the big thing for me was realizing every day that I had a CHOICE. I know how to be successful. I know what works. I just need to CHOOSE to do it. It's all in my control, even if the bad thing that happened to me and my family wasn't in my control.

So no matter what life throws at you (and life has a crazy way of throwing stuff at you), you will be able to overcome it and get yourself moving in the right direction again. :-)

Best of luck to you!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a similar story. I myself lost over 130lbs and I did it with a ton of walking. Well around the time I was gonna be hitting a milestone my Plantar Facia tore. So walking was out of the question for a while. This happened around last thanksgiving, and I didn't get back to stepping until mid April. Long story shot I gained back around 40lbs during that time. When my foot was finally back to normal I went back at it hard and I am one week or so away from being right back where I was before.

It kills me to think that I wasted around 3 months, and I wonder where I would be if it didn't happen. It really got to me because I was doing so well, and I think a younger me would have given up altogether. But this time I slipped but caught myself before I gave up, and that is all you need to do. We all want to give up at some point, it seems so much easier at times then continuing.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better (and it should), most of what you lost that week was probably from dehydration, not real weight loss, and what you put back on was just rehydration from normal eating again. In reality you probably only lost and put back on 3 or 4lbs at most.

2 weeks isn't a big deal, you have a lifetime of health to look forward to.