Meeting Nutrient Goals

Options
So, I've been calorie counting for little more than a week now, definitely found if I don't count calories I go overboard. Anyway, I am meeting my daily calorie goal, but am going over my daily protein and sugar goals on a consistent basis. Granted I do drink a protein shake for breakfast everyday, and I also incorporate a lot of fresh fruit into my diet as well. Should I be concerned? And should I change this habit?

Replies

• reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    depends on what your purpose for being here is.. if you're looking to just lose weight.. then you're fine.. if you're concerned about overall health I would tweak your daily intake to get closer to those macros
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Consider the protein goal a minimum, not a maximum. MFP's suggestion is the low end for intake. Personally, I changed mine to almost double what MFP recommends. It will not hinder your weight loss.

The sugar goal is based on added sugar, unfortunately MFP does not differentiate between added sugar and naturally occuring sugar. Honestly, if you don't have a medical issue where you need to monitor it, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I also track carbs, which sugar is counted in, so if I am keeping my carbs at a good level, the sugar usually follows.

If you do find the number high, look at where the number is coming from. If it is coming from a lot of sources with little nutritional value, you could make a change, if not, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • anabarbarosie
    anabarbarosie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is from fruits, it's okay (as long as you're healthy and don't need to watch your sugar intake - just don't go overboard with it). The protein is healthy so don't worry about it, especially if you practice any kind of sports. You can eat about 1-2 grams per pound of body weight per day.

PS: Did you set your goals manually or used the recommended ones? With a little research you can find the best ratio of carbohydrates-protein-fat that could work for you!