Ali vs Tyson

Options
2»

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    My opinion against Tyson may stem from the money I wasted on PPV for a 1 round KO's.

I think he still owes me a partial refund for the Spinks fight.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My opinion against Tyson may stem from the money I wasted on PPV for a 1 round KO's.

I think he still owes me a partial refund for the Spinks fight.

Yeah, no joke, I looked down to open my beer and my apartment erupted from the KO.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Tyson got floored with Buster Douglas. It took some of the greatest in the business to floor Ali.

blah blah blah A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IKEA Furniture assembler
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor... just don't hit my face
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied--but have no degrees to show for it--kinesiology and nutrition

Tyson was 24, not 20, when he fought Douglas. Also, he wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind at the time. Though it can be argued that Mike has never truly been in the right frame of mind.

And we saw a small glimpse of Tyson in his boxing mind in the 7th(?) round after Douglas hit him with a low blow. Woke Tyson up for a second.
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    ALi in his prime - before the 4 year layoff.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hard to say.

If I had to guess I'd say Tyson, based on where each was at in their careers at 20. Tyson won the WBC title when he was 20. Ali didn't even get a title shot until he was 22. Ali had a relatively unimpressive performance against Sonny Banks in 1962 (when he was ~20) and was still early in his career with Dundee as a coach.

On the other hand, by many accounts, Sonny Liston was as ferocious as Mike Tyson, if not more, at the time Ali beat him soundly.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Tyson if it went less than 6 rounds. Ali if it went the distance.

Ali was a fighter, if it was going to take 15 it would go 15. Tyson was a brawler and couldn't spell sweet science

I'm sure more than one fighter thought they could dance with Tyson due to him being a puncher until the right or uppercut hit them out of no-where.

That's my point. Tyson never faced a fighter as gifted and smart as Ali. I'd also suggest you watch a couple of Ali's fights. He took some punishment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Tyson was 24, not 20, when he fought Douglas. Also, he wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind at the time. Though it can be argued that Mike has never truly been in the right frame of mind.
    Most guys after getting knocked out, don't do very well. In fact, TKO on them seem to increase. Tyson never reclaimed his titles even while under 30 years old. There are/were still very GREAT fighters who fought past their 30's. I like Tyson (I think he's hella funny) but I believe that if he an Ali fought at 20 years old, he'd fall once Ali tagged his jaw a few times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The way the question was framed, I'm going with Tyson.

I think Ali in prime would win fairly handily, but 20 was part of Tyson's prime, while still relatively early for Ali.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Tyson had the power, but Ali was quick. I think I would have to go with Ali, personally.