Water Water Everywhere

Options
So I am really working hard towards drinking more water. This is my first week and it is hard to get it all in. You know, it's not the best tasting stuff on earth. Dumb question- If I drink water with something like crystal light added, will that still count? What are some other good ideas to keep the water flowing?

TIA!

Becca

Replies

• ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on other users' opinions on the forums, some users apply any fluid as part of their water intake (juice, soda(?) water), while others strictly add water. I haven't used those little packets in an awfully long time, but if crystal light has little to no nutritional value anyway, adding it to water for flavor won't hurt. So it will still count.

Unfortunately, I don't know any other ways to encourage water drinking, as I enjoy drinking it as is especially when I'm parched. But those little flavor packets help a lot, so definitely take advantage of them. :)
  • Shibuh
    Shibuh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would avoid things like Crystal Light. Some flavors of Crystal Light contain aspartame, one of the most dangerous artificial sweeteners. Side effects of aspartame include headaches, anxiety, abdominal pain, nausea, heart palpitations and irritable bowel syndrome. Acesulfame potassium is another artificial sweetener used in some Crystal Light varieties. This sweetener contains methylene chloride, which is a known carcinogen. Therefore, long-term use of this carcinogen may cause cancer. Other side effects include nausea, headaches and impaired liver. It also contains Phenylalanine, which can cause nerve damage.

I had a hard time with increasing my water intake as well. Drinking reverse osmosis filtered water made it a little easier - pretty much no taste to it. Also, adding some lemon juice to it helps if you like lemon.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If YOU PERSONALLY don't have any problems with artificial sweeteners/colors/flavors, then absolutely go ahead and drink the Crystal LIght. That's how I got started upping my water intake, and I didn't get cancer. I still drink it on occasion, and absolutely count it as water. It does have a calorie value, however, so if you're drinking multiple packets per day, it can add up. Be sure to log it.

What I've switched to recently is flavoring extract- the kind used for baking. I couldn't find drink mixes in some of the flavors I wanted (PLAIN coconut, orange that wasn't super acidic) so I started adding about 1/4tsp of extract to my large (24 oz) water bottles. Works a treat!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I would avoid things like Crystal Light. Some flavors of Crystal Light contain aspartame, one of the most dangerous artificial sweeteners. Side effects of aspartame include headaches, anxiety, abdominal pain, nausea, heart palpitations and irritable bowel syndrome. Acesulfame potassium is another artificial sweetener used in some Crystal Light varieties. This sweetener contains methylene chloride, which is a known carcinogen. Therefore, long-term use of this carcinogen may cause cancer. Other side effects include nausea, headaches and impaired liver. It also contains Phenylalanine, which can cause nerve damage.

I had a hard time with increasing my water intake as well. Drinking reverse osmosis filtered water made it a little easier - pretty much no taste to it. Also, adding some lemon juice to it helps if you like lemon.
    can i get sources to the bolded statements?
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    You could try making these... They aren't really strong, but they do add some flavor to the water. The amount of juice from the fruit infused into the water isn't all that much, probably about the same as the few calories a Crystal Light packet adds. Plus, they are pretty.... and no added artificial chemicals if you are worried about that.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water

http://www.infusedwaters.com/

Edit to add: I drink a couple packets or squirts of MiO each day. I've felt no ill effects. Your body can make use of the water even if you add something to it. Drink your Crystal Light and enjoy... Beats being dehydrated!
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was a huge soda drinker and happily I've kicked that habit with water. For me it was as simple as adding ice. I do not like water unless it's ice cold and I won't drink it. So I brought a few ice cube trays into my work and I keep them filled and drink away all day long. Also I got a great water bottle with a straw funtion and it makes drinking water so easy. I often find myself sipping on it without even thinking about it. Next thing I know I'm over 100 ounces down.

If adding Crystal Light or some other sort of flavoring helps you make the transition, than do it. Drinking water with flavoring is better than not drinking water at all!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that some of the Crystal Light packets do actually have calories (not a lot, but not zero - the lemon tea, for instance, is 5 calories per serving and the little tube packet is 2 servings, so 10 calories. If you drink a lot of them, it will add up), log it and move on.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Me too! I drink Crystal Light Lemonaide and I love it. I also drink Diet Coke. I never get nausea, abdominal pain, anxiety or headaches. I have noticed that I get a headache when I have something sweetened with Stevia.

Info I found -
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/02/artificial-sweetener-aspartame-cause-health-problems/

The panel concluded that Aspartame does not cause cancer at the levels consumed by humans, and it doesn’t cause problems during pregnancy. Overall, “There were no safety concerns at the current ADI (acceptable daily intake) of 40 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.”

For your reference, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS), there are on average about 180 mg of aspartame in a typical 12 ounce can of diet soda. So an adult weighing 165 pounds would need to drink about 16 cans of diet soda per day to exceed the recommended limit, which itself is set drastically below dangerous thresholds. Specifically, according to the ACS, the acceptable daily intake is set at “about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns, based on studies done in lab animals.” Not that you’d be able to in reality, but if you actually managed to drink 1,600 cans of diet soda in a day (one every 54 seconds), you’ll have much bigger problems than aspartame intake.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yes, the water you added Crystal Light to still counts as water. Some people are more strict with their water intake, insisting that only plain water counts. But to your body, water is water, no matter what comes with it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I count everything as water. Crystal light is lemon flavored water. Coffee is water flavored with beans. You get the idea.

Also, the anti-aspartame poster.... Please stop spreading misinformation and back up your claims with credible sources.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It becomes a habit. I used to drink Pepsi and Lipton Green Tea all the time. Now I only drink water. The first week was the hardest, but after that I got to liking drinking water and now drinking the tea or soda is harder to do, because it's too sweet to me.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time, but I love plain water. I enjoy it most when it is chilled or iced. Occassionally, for a change, I will infuse stuff in it. My favorites are raspberries or strawberries or cucumber with mint and ginger (you won't get a super strong taste from infusion, but it's enough for me). I also enjoy adding fresh lemon juice to my water once in a while. I personally have never cared for the taste of those artificial flavorings.

When I started upping my water years ago, the first thing I had to do was get over the idea that it has to have a taste. I don't like to drink my water straight from the tap, but that's just because our water can get a little funky sometimes, so I run it through a filter.
  • TriBecca_14
    TriBecca_14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the info! I am a firm believer in free will so I will drink, eat, think whatever I want. :tongue: That being said I really only add the packets once or twice a day so I don't fill up on useless calories. Throwing some lemons and stuff in has helped as well. Over time I am sure it will become habit. I noticed today that I only wanted water with breakfast so that is a good start. I have a weakness for sweet stuff so I need to learn to curb the need for those items.

Thanks all! This is a great forum and lots of good information! :drinker:

Becca
  • Shibuh
    Shibuh Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I copied directly from here after continuing my research and a few of the links are listed below. The first link has several references on it, one of which is the FDA's report.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22810-dangers-aspartame/

Here is a link directly to the FDA's report:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

Here is another link to Dr. Mercola's website on aspartame and Phenylalanine:

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

It's not misinformation, there are many people who have issues with products containing aspartame. I'm not saying every person will experience the side effects, but there are quite a few who do. There are many articles and studies showing it's not fantastic and I prefer to avoid it. She asked for opinions and information and I gave my opinion and here are some of my sources.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light is a great option. Just keep in mind your body needs to be hydrated which means it needs fluid. This could be from fruits, veggies, tea, coffee as well as H2O.

As far as running scare from aspartame, I will just leave this for you as I plan to drink a Diet Pepsi later this evening:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found that adding True Lemon, True Lime and True Orange packets to water gives a refreshing pop to plain water. I can usually get them at my local Wal-Mart in the baking section. It is just crystalized versions of each of the citrus and it is pretty good.

I don't log my water as I have a 750ml water bottle that I keep with me at all times and fill it at least 5-8 times a day depending on what I am doing.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I copied directly from here after continuing my research and a few of the links are listed below. The first link has several references on it, one of which is the FDA's report.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22810-dangers-aspartame/

Here is a link directly to the FDA's report:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

Here is another link to Dr. Mercola's website on aspartame and Phenylalanine:

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

It's not misinformation, there are many people who have issues with products containing aspartame. I'm not saying every person will experience the side effects, but there are quite a few who do. There are many articles and studies showing it's not fantastic and I prefer to avoid it. She asked for opinions and information and I gave my opinion and here are some of my sources.

For the vast vast vast majority of people in the world, Aspartame will have no affect whatsoever. It is nothing more then two bonded amino acids (which are the building blocks of protein). People who have side affects to Aspartame do so because they have a rare condition which prevents the processing of one of the amino acids phenylalanine. It's not the Aspartame per se that is causing this reaction, but the amino acid within which can also be found in many other products.

For the OP, most liquids go ahead and count towards your water goal. Your body won't discriminate against water just because there's a bit of added chemicals, it'll simply separate them and go about it's business. Shoot, soda is practically 99% water so feel free to add that to you water goals as well.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    apartame isn't bad, if you dont feel worse when drinking it then go ahead.
    poeple say things about carcinogens but the level is so low it doesn't matter.