Fitbit calories all weird

Options
I dusted off my fitbit one and had fun with it. Problem is its added my calories weirdly. On the fitbit dashboard it says I have a sensible 200ish calories left, on mfp it says I have over a thousand because it's deducted all the exercise calories I guess without adjusting for the fact I'd have burned calories doing nowt also. How to fix?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Has the MFP app synced/updated?
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Has the MFP app synced/updated?
    yeah
  • robgmartin
    robgmartin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    how are you syncing? are you going run keeper->MFP->fitbit? if so there were some timezone issues causing weirdness that made me stop using that combo. I now have iSmoothRun posting directly to run keeper and MFP and i do not have run keeper syncing to MFP
  • candistyx
    Options
    how are you syncing? are you going run keeper->MFP->fitbit? if so there were some timezone issues causing weirdness that made me stop using that combo. I now have iSmoothRun posting directly to run keeper and MFP and i do not have run keeper syncing to MFP
    i don't use runkeeper
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ...on mfp it says I have over a thousand because it's deducted all the exercise calories I guess without adjusting for the fact I'd have burned calories doing nowt also. How to fix?
    Can you rephrase that sentence above? I don't understand.

MFP and Fitbit do use two different calorie plans but usually Fitbit gives you less food because it has no floor value.

Have you logged any exercise manually at MFP today?
  • candistyx
    Options
    The base calorie level is close on both. I'm pretty sure what it's done is that fitbit is using the calories burned per time unit alone and mfp seems to have added those calories to the base calorie level. Maybe it's just because it's the first day I've used it in years? But I dunno why it would make a difference.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Are you looking at the Calories In vs. Out gauge on the Fitbit dashboard? It's just comparing how much you've eaten up to now with how much you've burned up to now. It's not much use until the next day, if you ask me. Is your Food Plan tile closer to the MFP calories left?
  • candistyx
    Options
    No, it says about 300 calories left versus over 1000 on mfp.
    http://imgur.com/ubkeY4i
    http://imgur.com/YmN70xg
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Your Fitbit adjustment of 1119 is huge (assuming you didn't manually log any exercise at MFP). Go to Exercise here and click the "i" by the Fitbit adjustment and read where it's coming from.
  • reshmapatel12
    reshmapatel12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with mine and issues with logging food. So I've reverted to fitness pal for food logging and using the cals burnt from my fit bit
  • candistyx
    Options
    Your Fitbit adjustment of 1119 is huge (assuming you didn't manually log any exercise at MFP). Go to Exercise here and click the "i" by the Fitbit adjustment and read where it's coming from.
    yeah nope didn't log any extra... Looks pretty weird here http://imgur.com/fO72HV1

I don't know where the heck it's getting those numbers from. I fiddled with the calories on both apps a bit earlier so I guess from that. If I delete that and resync do you think it would fix it (will the real adjustment come).
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    set mfp to sedetary and log exercises.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe you use it differently, but I say ignore Fitbit adjustments (other than what you expect to get based on your planned activity) until the end of the day. It does some weird estimate of how much you will burn based on what you've already burned that always seems confusing. I normally only look at it at the end of the day (since it doesn't sync 'til I'm home) and it's consistent with MFP, but I've noticed on weekends that in the middle of the day it makes projections that are probably not true, since I don't move the same all day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, but just to get a sense, is MFP on sedentary? How many steps do you have when getting this? Any other exercise logged?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    yeah nope didn't log any extra... Looks pretty weird here http://imgur.com/fO72HV1

I don't know where the heck it's getting those numbers from. I fiddled with the calories on both apps a bit earlier so I guess from that. If I delete that and resync do you think it would fix it (will the real adjustment come).
    Is it normal for you to burn 2400 calories by 1pm? It almost looks like you manually entered a big activity at the Fitbit site? No? Did you set your Fitbit on an oscillating fan for hours or anything? Walk 5+ miles?

When you say you fiddled with the calories, did you change any profile data at Fitbit? I'd check it for typos. If you entered you're 400 lbs. when you're 200, that'd cause a huge burn level.

May as well delete stuff you added and see what happens.

I know a lot of people here unsynch and resynch their accounts but I've read that it causes problems for the servers when enough people do it and that it doesn't solve anything. I don't know, I've never heard any synch issues.
  • candistyx
    Options
    No, but 1pm is about when I started using it. Maybe it's the estimation thing being an idiot?

I deleted that adjustment but I didn't disconnect/reconnect. If it happens again I'll turn off estimation.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and I had the estimation turned off because when it was on it was giving me all kinds of crazy reading and way too many calories. Try shutting that off and see what happens.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    If you didn't wear it until 1pm, that might've been the issue. It's in Setting, Calorie Estimation. Set it to disabled. It should only affect what it does on days you don't wear it. Enabled means it uses some past burn average as an estimate. Disabled means it uses a more sedentary, BMR-like value. Once it noticed motion, it should've stopped estimating and started using what it detected, though.

I hope it's ironed out today!