What can I do to get more energy?

Options
I am 22 and I am tired ALL THE TIME. I get 6-8 hours of sleep a night and could still fall asleep at almost any point during the day. On the weekends I could easily sleep 12-14 hours, but i try not to. I had my thyroid tested a few years back and although my levels were slightly off, the doctors said it was not enough to be on medicine.

I understand that I am overweight, but so are both my parents and they constantly tell me I'm a huge baby (in a mostly joking way) because I fall asleep everywhere all the time. I seriously could fall asleep at work most of the time, and have once!

I can't go to the doctor as I am without insurance and in a state that chose not to expand medicaid to the poor. I can probably go in a few months when I save some money, but it's legitimately not an option at this point. The closest doctor is over $250 just for a visit and much more for tests, etc. and I simply don't have the money. I understand that my health is important, so please, please don't tell me I'm being irresponsible. My state has zero options for healthcare for lower income.

What kind of diet/ lifestyle changes could help with this? I am working out almost every day, even when it's agony. Sometimes I have to take a caffeine pill or drink some coffee just to have enough energy to move for a workout. I don't like to take it too much as caffeine upsets my stomach. Do you think maybe a low-carb, high protein and fat diet would help? Any other suggestions to get past the tiredness and have more energy during the day?

Replies

• aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know you said that you don't have the money to see a doctor, but honestly that's the only way you are going to find an answer. People are really helpful on this site but they can't give you medical advice.

Maybe you could find a doctor who would see you on a sliding scale based on your income. Do a google search and see if you can find someone.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Some ideas- Get more sleep. Check for calories too low. If you just started low calorie, it's normal to feel tired the first week or two. Check for depression symptoms. Make sure you drink enough. Get more exercise. Eat more iron rich foods and/or take a multivitamin with iron. Good luck!

Also- $250 for a gen. practitioner sounds crazy high. Might want to call around and make sure that's right. I think my doctor charges like $59 for an office visit. Some tests are cheap.

Also also- Are you in college? Most have school clinics.
  • emmaalyssaa
    emmaalyssaa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was (and barely coming off of) the same boat. Being overweight makes you feel like that in general.. but honestly it's best to see your doctor! I know you are having trouble w/o the insurance but I would suggest getting a blood test and checking EVERYTHING.

That's what I did. I found out I have very low vitamin D. Also, this might be a TMI but PCOS is something that can cause fatigue too. My thyroid was clear but I'm waiting to be tested on PCOS. Which are cysts in your ovaries. They have almost the same symptoms as thyroid (except missed periods, cysts etc). Just a thought!

Also, what kind of a diet do you eat? Generally a diet with heavier grains *for me anyway* makes me SO tired. Have you tried Paleo/Primal? It's basically a grain free, processed free way of eating. I stick to lean meats, veggies, some fruits, nuts, and dairy. Granted I fall off every now and then but my diet mostly consists of this. If you haven't heard of it, check it out :)
  • megjr8
    megjr8 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would recommend looking into increasing your iodine in your diet to support your thyroid.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I was experiencing a lot of fatigue it turned out I was ultra low in vitamin D. Healthy levels are between 40- 100 and mine was 9.

Go to the doctor because we won't be able to tell you what the problem is or if you're deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you are a caffeine drinker that could contribute (not knocking caffeine). Before I got pregnant I drank redbull daily and felt like a zombie without it. I have heard the same complaint from some coffee drinkers. Some medications can also have the same effect. You could also try going to bed a little earlier and see how you feel after a week or two. Sleep issues such as sleep apnea could also be a factor.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Estimate your TDEE and eat close to it. Establish a good sleeping pattern at night. Exercise MODERATELY. See a doctor as soon as possible.

Don't drink caffeine to combat the tired. I know, I know. I only drink 4 cups of coffee on the days ending in "y" but if I drink more, I crash. Caffeine stimulates serotonin production in the brain, altering mood and aggression patterns in users. When these serotonin levels drop, the results can range from loss of mental acuity to anger and exhaustion (see Majithia, 2007).
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    In for any good advice.

I feel you OP! I am tired ALL the time as well. I went to the doctors and had a physical and test done. The doc said I was healthy and all blood work came out fine.

I don't know what it is.

The best to you!
  • lovesquirrels
    lovesquirrels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a possible case of Sleep Apnea.
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was (and barely coming off of) the same boat. Being overweight makes you feel like that in general.. but honestly it's best to see your doctor! I know you are having trouble w/o the insurance but I would suggest getting a blood test and checking EVERYTHING.

That's what I did. I found out I have very low vitamin D. Also, this might be a TMI but PCOS is something that can cause fatigue too. My thyroid was clear but I'm waiting to be tested on PCOS. Which are cysts in your ovaries. They have almost the same symptoms as thyroid (except missed periods, cysts etc). Just a thought!

Also, what kind of a diet do you eat? Generally a diet with heavier grains *for me anyway* makes me SO tired. Have you tried Paleo/Primal? It's basically a grain free, processed free way of eating. I stick to lean meats, veggies, some fruits, nuts, and dairy. Granted I fall off every now and then but my diet mostly consists of this. If you haven't heard of it, check it out :)

Just the office visit would clear out my entire bank account, let alone tests, etc. I am not trying to make excuses I am just saying that I live in an extremely small town with only two doctors who are both very expensive. I cannot call around as there is no one to call! I am not wanting medical advice from anyone on this site, just some friendly tips. I will be moving in a few months to another state where I can hopefully get on Medicaid.

I am not sure getting more sleep would be possible at this point. Getting 10-12 would seriously cut into my schedule and leave me time for nothing. Plus, I can't go to bed at 7-8 every night. I do not have PCOS, but I have been diagnosed with endometriosis so it could be hormones. I think I might try getting more Vitamin D.

I eat pretty healthy, but lately I have been playing with the idea of trying Paleo/Low carb. I know my dad cut out wheat for a few months once and felt a lot better. Has anyone else had experience with this helping with energy?
  • hpaschetag
    hpaschetag Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It could be sleep apnea - where you stop breathing in your sleep, so even though it seems like you are getting alot of sleep, you really are not going into deep sleep.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    while doing what you can to adjust your diet is great, you do need to see a doctor.

I understand the dilemma but please try this; call the clinic AND hospital closest to you, talk with their business office/billing and ask about different options you have.

Many clinics/hospitals offer programs, discounts etc. to help out in different ways.
    You need to explain you are feeling terrible and do not know what to do as you cannot afford to pay but need to see a doctor.

They can help you find out if they have a program that you would be eligible for. Never hurts to ask.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    Estimate your TDEE and eat close to it. Establish a good sleeping pattern at night. Exercise MODERATELY. See a doctor as soon as possible.

Don't drink caffeine to combat the tired. I know, I know. I only drink 4 cups of coffee on the days ending in "y" but if I drink more, I crash. Caffeine stimulates serotonin production in the brain, altering mood and aggression patterns in users. When these serotonin levels drop, the results can range from loss of mental acuity to anger and exhaustion (see Majithia, 2007).

I hate that I use caffeine for energy. I try to only use/drink it 1-2 times a week as I hate the idea of becoming dependent. I have a pretty good sleep schedule, but I do not sleep deeply if that makes sense. Even in my deepest sleep, a whisper could wake me up. I have considered the possibility of sleep apnea, but what even can they do? Sell me a $2000, super nosy (so by-by husband in my bed) machine? I would absolutely hate to be diagnosed with that, but I guess I'd have an answer.
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Iodine, Iron, Vitamin D, and Evening Primrose Oil. Covers basis for ovary disfunction, thyroid imbalance, and anemia. If it persists after a month of CONSISTENT supplement use, then you might have a bigger problem. Don't leave something like this to strangers on the internet. :/

Just sayin'.

Edit: Melatonin at night to help you get GOOD sleep.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I ended up sleeping all the time, no energy and ended up in ICU. please see a dr and get your ANA and DNA checked.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess it has to do with your diet but hard to say without much logged.

Higher protein and healthy fats may help. If you're used to a lot of carbs, consider a gradual transition as a major drop in carb intake can make you feel a bit off. Consider more of a South Beach approach (lower, healthier carbs) rather than an Atkins approach (very little carbs at first). Meaning when you eat carbs, try picking more fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc.

You may also want to consider taking a mutli vitamin. Could be you're lacking iron, Vit D, etc.

Keep saving up for that doc's visit too just in case the change in diet/nutrition doesn't help.

Good luck!
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When you do get a chance to go to the doctor, get them to test your iron levels. You could have low iron, and it could be contributing to feeling lethargic, sleepy, tired, no energy. It's very common in women. I am also anaemic (low iron) and have to take iron supplements and eat very high iron foods, to keep my iron lvls at a normal range. Otherwise I feel like a sleepy zombie :( Just a suggestion, I know you'll probably get many different responses, but I thought I'd just suggest this one because it sounds very similar to what I experienced.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    while doing what you can to adjust your diet is great, you do need to see a doctor.

I understand the dilemma but please try this; call the clinic AND hospital closest to you, talk with their business office/billing and ask about different options you have.

Many clinics/hospitals offer programs, discounts etc. to help out in different ways.
    You need to explain you are feeling terrible and do not know what to do as you cannot afford to pay but need to see a doctor.

They can help you find out if they have a program that you would be eligible for. Never hurts to ask.

The closest hospital is over 2 hours away and I've already asked and they do not offer programs for those with financial programs. I really do understand your point, but it's simply not happening for me right now. I am planning on going to a doctor in a few months when I move to a different state, but for now it's legitimately not possible in any way, shape or form. I am just looking for some tips. Not medical advice.
  • redmagpie91
    Options
    Iodine, Iron, Vitamin D, and Evening Primrose Oil. Covers basis for ovary disfunction, thyroid imbalance, and anemia. If it persists after a month of CONSISTENT supplement use, then you might have a bigger problem. Don't leave something like this to strangers on the internet. :/

Just sayin'.

Edit: Melatonin at night to help you get GOOD sleep.

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

I promise I am going to see a doctor in a few months when I move, but for now I was just looking for some tips. Until my husband was in the military, I had been to the doctor maybe twice in my life. If the choice is between my rent and a non-emergency doctor visit, I'm picking rent every time. I am working on it, I swear.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are maxing sleep at 8 hours/day (weekday?) your max is actually the minimum recommended amount (anyone correct me if I am wrong)... BUT IF you can swing it... add an hour so you are sleeping 8-9 hours/day... there are studies suggesting that a lack of sleep can lead to weight issues in adults...and there are links to sleep issues based on overweight (obesity) (apnea) ...

IF you are too tired to get some exercise... try taking a 15 minute "rest, nap, meditation, before your workout... How is your diet? think about adding a multi-vitamin... do you work at night?

Generally when some is "TOO ANYTHING" .. it means something is out of balance... plot out your day... keep a log...for a couple of weeks...keep track of everything you do and when you do it...

My wife is a bit jealous of me... she has timed me and I can fall asleep in as little as 7 seconds of my head hitting a pillow... I wake at 4 and turn in at 9 during the week... if I end up laying on the couch watching TV on the weekend... I will fall asleep... so maybe your issue is just being too comfortable... BUT ... IF you think there might be something wrong.. then you owe it to yourself to get it checked out... before seeing the doctor.. it will help him if you can provide that daily log.. and the longer and more detail you can keep in that log will be of more help to the doctor...

Best of luck... and having overweight parents doesn't mean you have to follow that path...