Do you track gum?

Options
aevonvett
aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
Maybe an odd question, but do you log gum? The gum I chew has 5 calories per slice, but I tend to chew it for a long time so it would seem to cancel itself out. Curious ponderings for a Tuesday...

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I chew gum all day long, probably up to 30 pieces a day. I don't log it. I probably SHOULD, but I am usually at enough of a deficit that it isn't going to make a difference. Mine is also 5 calorie a piece.
  • raelsea
    raelsea Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't count it because I feel that all the chewing has to burn a couple calories at least!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Not if it's sugar free, which it always is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    can't be bothered.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    30 pieces? and you don't count them at 5 calories each? that's like 150 calories... which is more than 10% of some people's daily total... Hmm okay... o with your regular programming :noway:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Personally, I log every stupid, little thing I eat. I don't chew gum, but I log things like sriracha on my eggs or small portions of condiments or fresh herbs or whatever. I'm totally an all-or-nothing kind of person, so if I start making little exceptions, I'm soon making big ones. If you're not that kind of person, maybe it's no big deal. But little stuff adds up; maybe not gum, but condiments and a couple of fries off of your friends plate and half a beer that your spouse couldn't finish... honestly, considering that stuff as "no count" is probably one of the reasons I wound up on this site in the first place.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If it has any calories, then I track it.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow, never occured to me that I should.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    30 pieces? and you don't count them at 5 calories each? that's like 150 calories... which is more than 10% of some people's daily total... Hmm okay... o with your regular programming :noway:

this and the picture next too it were simply priceless- perfect. I totally read that like you had just popped your head into the screen to make an announcement.

totally needed a laugh. thank you.
  • Veil5577
    Options

True, but I am eating 1200 calories a day or under, so I don't worry about the gum I am chewing.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: The FDA or whoever is cool with a product that contains 10 or fewer calories and allowing the company to say it contains 0 calories. Think splenda, diet coke, whatever.

Then you go on to a fun healthy site that gives you a recipe to make low-cal or sugar free dessert. Then, to make that recipe, you open 30 packets of that zero calorie sugar substitute and wind up with 300 calories unaccounted for.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I log everything, gum, Advil, Diet Coke, EVERYTHING.

Rigger
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    I personally log everything that passes my lips. If I don't, I get into the habit of not logging little bites, sips of drinks, pieces of gum... and those can really add up if you're not careful.
    If you know yourself and you're on top of things, then logging it or not shouldn't be a big deal :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Not if it's sugar free, which it always is.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't log gum.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't log gum but I probably should since I chew a lot of it...I will log the 7 m&m's that I eat but not the 7 pieces of gum that is probably the same number of calories. I think because I'm not actually swallowing it then I shouldn't have to log it...that makes sense, right? :laugh:
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I had a peice of trident today, was too lazy to record it. If I have 30 it's worth noting for sure.
  • Veil5577
    Options
    I figure just chewing it burns up that 5 calories... maybe I'm stupid :ohwell: I am chewing regular gum because I'm trying to wean myself off of Nicorette gum.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I chew one piece of Orbit Sweetmint every day after lunch and never log it, which is weird for two reasons. I pretty much log every single thing that has even one calorie or any sodium, and I eschew all other artificial sweetneners. Not sure why I don't include the gum.