Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

scales?

So I bought a new digital scale, thought it would be interesting to see smaller differences, and it measures bodyfat, muscle etc.

Well, it seems to vary a lot....both my weight (when stepping on and off same time).
Even the body fat and muscle is different when doing this.

I am considering returning it even if i thought it would be fun to see all the variables.
And can a scale give a decent idea on the bodyfat? (it's okay for me if it is not 100% but at least i figured I could see if it goes down but not so sure anymore)

Replies

• chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Well, it's like anything you buy, you get what you pay for. The more $$ you spent, the better you get. And the more $$ gets you the extras that will give you an average of body fat etc.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    They normally need calibrated (zeroed out) when you get them. Directions should be in the manual, also you can't move them around...they need to stay on the same level hard surface.

As for body fat% .....No it measures water in your body, this varies moment to moment. Plus you need your feet damp and everything to be the exact same, that will never happen.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    I got the fitbit wifi scales. They were about £100 in UK money and log your weight, bmi and body fat % to the fitbit app and can connect directly to mfp.

The weight is usually accurate but for body fat... You can't really rely on home scales for that. They aren't accurate. It varies a lot depending on hydration levels, etc.

I also heard they use an electric current to pass through your body..... Some people said it only real measures your lower body.... Basically because electricity takes the path of least resistance, so it goes up one leg and then straight back down the other! I'm not entirely sure on the truth of that. But the general consensus is that they aren't very accurate.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    They normally need calibrated (zeroed out) when you get them. Directions should be in the manual, also you can't move them around...they need to stay on the same level hard surface.

As for body fat% .....No it measures water in your body, this varies moment to moment. Plus you need your feet damp and everything to be the exact same, that will never happen.

will check into the calibration, didn't see anything about that when setting it up.
    it is supposed to measure bodyfat %. hydration % is also given, they are 2 different.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    As far as I know, the most accurate scale on the market is the Eatsmart Precision Scale. I don't know how anybody gets by with anything else, especially since it's so inexpensive. Seeing my weight bounce around with two immedialty consecutive measurements would frustrate me to no end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0032TNPOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1403643960&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    As far as I know, the most accurate scale on the market is the Eatsmart Precision Scale. I don't know how anybody gets by with anything else, especially since it's so inexpensive. Seeing my weight bounce around with two immedialty consecutive measurements would frustrate me to no end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0032TNPOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1403643960&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40

thanks! that one is affordable too! I am going to return the one I have, cost me more than this one you are showing me.

appreciate the suggestion :smile:
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    No problem. You'll be really happy with it.