Red Cabbage

Options
lauzie123
lauzie123 Posts: 3 Member
Hi all,
I have just found out how nutritional red cabbage is so I want to try it but I have no idea what I can do with it!
Any ideas?
Thank you!! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    slice it into thin slices and saute. I also use red cabbage in stir-fry. roast wedges in the oven. raw on salads mixed into your greens. I also do a red cabbage ferment and make my own sauer kraut.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like it as a red coleslaw ( I use 3/4 Greek yogurt to 1/4 mayo).
    I also love,love,love to make saurkraut with fresh, red cabbage. Comes out much prettier than green. I like to add red onion and Granny Smith or Macintosh apples to mine. Caraway seeds or juniper berries also taste great.
    Saurkraut is super easy. Basically, add two tbsps salt to every 5 lbs of produce. Smash the cabbage down with a wooden spoon, add a plate and ziploc baggies full of salted water. Let sit in a cool dark spot for 2-6 weeks. I check very few days to see if any added brine is needed to keep produce below the liquid ( the first 24 hours, cabbage lets off lots of liquid) and if any mold or yeast is on the top just scrape that off, it's harmless.
    Taste every week until as sour as you like and freeze to store.
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    slice with yellow onions, very thin slices, add raisens, carrots, and olive oil :)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    We slice it into wedges or cube it, mix with garlic, red onion, tsp of splenda and some balsamic vinegar and then roast it on the bbq in a tinfoil package. It is so sweet and delicious and even our 4 year old likes it this way.