Need some help here

Options
I admit it, I'm getting frustrated. Since about last year, almost around this time, I have been stuck.
I started my weight loss journey at 202 lbs on my 5'7 frame.
I was unhealthy, unhappy and sick.
Now I'm at 156/157/158/159/160 depending on the day you ask me.
That in itself is a great success story however now I'm stuck with what Jillian Michaels calls the "vanity pounds"
I cannot seem to lose the last 10-15 lbs!
I get down to 156.5 and then shoot up to 158 the very next day. I've tried tracking my calories for a while, got frustrated after a couple of weeks when it always seemed like I was going nowhere.
I've dropped calories a lot, I've exercised a bit here and there, (biggest issue in my current job is time, no surprise there, how many others have that one!). I have a Bodymediafit that I wear, helps me track my calories expended so I keep a pretty close eye on that.
At this point, after riding on the carousel for so long I'm pretty much screaming "LET ME OFF!"
Uggh. Help!

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you know you're not ACTUALLY gaining and losing a pound or two from day to day... That being said, do yourself a favor and get off the scale.

Second, what are you doing for exercise? I'm doubting Jillian is going to get you where you want to go.

Third, Make the time... I'm sure you've heard this, but make the time if you find it that important. If you don't make the time, don't complain about your appearance/weight, etc.

Fourth, are you measuring/weighing, etc.? Not yourself... your food.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    yes. you need to measure and weigh your food on a food scale to get an accurate idea of your intake.

Peanut butter and cereal measure way differently on a food scale than by the cup or tablespoon, for example....even protein powder...that one was a wow.

:flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to track your food more carefully and to reevaluate your exercise program.
  • tnebell
    tnebell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do record food by a scale, like peanut butter, or cereal. I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, in fact that is most of what I eat as that is what is coming from the garden right now. I don't use the heavy creamy salad dressings and instead eat clean with vinegar and oil.
    One thing I haven't been able to fit in is more than two times a week, exercise (when I say exercise I mean working on the elliptical or stationary bike. I almost never get the time for lifting weights except for when I'm at home.
    That is usually a quick routine with free weights. )
    I'm obviously doing awesome with maintaining but just not quite enough to lose.
  • tnebell
    Options
    Oh forgot to add, when I mention exercise, where I don't get much at the gym, instead is spent with about 1 to 2 hours a day working in a garden. (we grow a lot of what we eat)
    Its not high intensity though of course.
  • merrynrp
    merrynrp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Given that I'm just a newbie on this weightloss thing I'm probably not very qualified to say much, however, for my wedding almost 10 years ago, I lost 10kg in about 3 months, from eating in moderation but also doing Scottish Country dancing twice a week for 2 hours. I can highly recommend dancing or anything aerobic for quick weightloss. I know you have been doing the eating thing well, but according to my dietician I saw last year, eating only accounts for 70-80% of weightloss and the rest is exercise. You need to get that metabolism going - not just weights - you need to get your heartrate up in aerobic exercise. Also give yourself mega pats on the back for how far you've come and how consistently you have eaten well - you are an inspiration! I have started a little blog on here too called Keep On Keeping On - might see you round :)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    step weighing yourself everyday thats really unhealthy for starters, maybe try and add more exercise, sometimes the body doesnt want to lose weight, once it thinks your at a healthy weight
  • merrynrp
    merrynrp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that weight fluctuates a lot with hormonal changes and water gain/ loss, so weighing once a week would be the maximum you would want to do - another dietician tip.
  • tnebell
    Options
    thx merrynrp! Crazy thing, the first 30 lbs or so fell off, almost literally within 6 mos. But then I slowed down. By the time I hit 160 it went down to a crawl.

Now, one other reason I weigh myself everyday?
    I get points at Walgreens for shopping and I'm almost at $20 worth! LOL
    My Bodymedia is linked up to sites like Earnedit.com/Everymove.org and Walgreens where I earn stuff for exercise and weighing in.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • tnebell
    Options
    I'm in with you! I would love an accountability buddy (which I think is part of it. I just have lost some of my motivation.)
    You know the thing that truly drives me crazy?
    I have weeks on end where I SERIOUSLY watch what I eat, I work out, I watch every little calorie, every minute of sweat, yada yada yada.
    And I don't drop a lb. My calorie consumption will be about 1500 or so, I'm working out like crazy and I don't drop any weight which makes me think "okay, gotta be doing something wrong here"

Then I have a slip up day. Or a couple of them, and I gain a couple of lbs.

But then, I just give up, let it go. I don't step on the scale for a couple of days, and now I've suddenly dropped weight and I don't know how because I know my eating has been horrible, I've been drinking soda pop, eating chocolate, yada yada yada.

How in the world does that happen??