water, water, water

Options
It looks like I average about 5-6 tall glasses of water a day and thats only when Im at work. I usually dont drink much fluids when Im at home... dont know why; just dont. With dinner at home I like to have a Diet Dr Pepper. Then I usually have a couple of sips of water before bed. Any suggestions on how to increase my water intake?? When we go out to eat, I always have water and usually have 2-3 glasses

Replies

• mrsknash
    mrsknash Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Set an hourly alarm, then have a glass whenever the alarm goes off! That way you can't forget. :)
  • sherbert0705
    Options
    I'm a bit like you. I drink loads of water at university and at work but when it comes to drinking at home it's like I forget. I don't know what to suggest to b honest but I normally drink water out of boredom too, I'm not saying get bored just so you can drink more water but that's what I tend to do. I probably haven't helped :/ x
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is from a previous post asking about drinking too much or too little water. The quote is from someone else but I replied & thought this might help you. :)

QUOTE:

Once you get used to drinking larger amounts of water, your body will get used to it and you won't be using the bathroom quite as often.

I agree with this. Just like anything else your body needs time to get used to something new. Do try to watch your sodium intake as it will retain fluids and it will show up in the scale.

I start with my water first thing in the morning at 6:00a and drink water with all my meals. I first fill up my 32oz bottle and drink about 10oz & the other 22oz while I'm getting ready for work. By the time I leave the house I've drank 4 glasses of water. I have a 24oz bottle at work and drink 2 of them through out the day (48oz =6 glasses). When I get home at 5:00p I fill up my 32oz bottle again and drink about 1/2 of it while I'm working out and the rest between 6 - 9p. By the time I go to bed at 10:30-11p I've drank 14 glasses of water.

It's definately doable, but it will take your body some time to get used to it.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing,then I started using Flower Essences and you take them 4 times a day in water. It has made a huge difference for me!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're actually getting enough water to me.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else but I just kind of made myself a schedule.

1 large glass of water in the morning when I take my vitamin / daily dose aspirin.
    20oz of water about 10:30am. I refill my Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi bottle from the morning with water. That's 2.5 glasses.
    20oz of water about 2:30pm. I refill another Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi bottle from the afternoon. That's 2.5 glasses.
    1-2 large glasses of water in the evening while reading, watching TV, or surfing.

My "large glass" is a 16oz glass so I count it as two 8oz glasses on the food diary. That all adds up to about 9-11 8oz glasses of water per day. The downside is going to the bathroom a lot. I haven't really cut down on the number of Pepsi's either so that's a lot of fluid.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The water bottle is great for maintaining your water intake, because it always holds the same amount and you can close the lid and take it with you everywhere. if I try to drink glasses of water, I find I don;t drink as much. If I have a bottle to sip at all day, I drink more and I just keep track of the number of bottles I drink in a day. For me, one bottle is 16.9 ounces, but I count it as 16. So if I drink 5 a day, that is my 80 oz that I want in a day.
  • cruan
    cruan Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a 32 oz water bottle that I try and take everywhere with me. My goal each day is to drink 2 full bottles, which is 64 oz. I also have a beverage mix that gets mixed with water and I have that for lunch, so that's another 16 oz of water. So as long as I meet my goal everyday I'm getting about 64-74 oz everyday.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a water drinker. For the most part, I would rather have a glass of water than anything else. I have 3 daily requirement of water bottles (2.3 liters each). I keep one at work, one at home and one in my car. My daily goal is to drink 2 of those. A nutritionist told me that I need to drink an extra serving of water for every 10 lbs I'm overweight, which comes to about another 8 glasses a day extra. I've been averaging between 10 - 12 lately because I kind of fell off the wagon. Was drinking more coffee than water. big no no. I also started adding a wedge of lime to my water because it's a natural diuretic and I've gained some water weight over the last month or so.

That being said, I totally agree with the bottle idea. It allows you to really measure how much your drinking and record it accurately. Also, you will want to drink an extra 2 servings of water for every serving of caffeinated beverage you drink because of the dehydration factor.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i get through a lot of water - i have a 1litre bottle (sorry I don't do the ounces measurement...) that gets refilled around 3 times a day - plus if I count the cups of green tea I drink then I get through about 3.5litres of water a day plus any extra that I drink while doing my wii fit.. I don't mind drinking that much but my poor bladder hasn't quite adapted yet!!!
  • evanryn
    evanryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a huge glass that I carry with me at home... If I'm at the computer, in the bedroom, at the kitchen table, sitting in the living room, or cooking in the kitchen, I carry that sucker with me. The more I have it with me the more I'm likely to drink from it. I also put a wedge or two of lemon in the water; it adds a little more excitment to my tastebuds than just plain water. I think I'm the opposite of you though...I drink more when I'm home than at work (I hate public bathrooms,,,eeek). Take it easy and just go with the flow...haha flow, lol. :D
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I have a container in the fridge that holds 2.2 liters of water. I tell myself I HAVE to finish the entire thing each day before I can have a diet coke or a glass of wine, or whatever else I want to drink that day. Works like a charm!