treadmill advise please vs gym membership??

Options
Hey guys. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a treadmill.

I can't make my mind up. Do I buy a nice treadmill ( what things should i look for).

OR

Do I buy a gym membership at anytime fitness ( allows 24x7 access with personal keycard access).

I figure price is the biggest differance right?

Years and years ago I used to love going to the gym....now Im so out of shape im just plain embarrassed so I dont even know
about where my motivation levels are each day vs having a treadmill in my house where I have access anytime?

What do you think? Any and all advise would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Get the gym membership so that you can do strength training as well as cardio.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Let's say a gym membership is £20 a month (that's what I've usually paid), and a treadmill (I looked at LifeFitness for this) is around £2000.

If we do the cost for the gym membership per year, £20x12=£240

Then, £2000/£240=8 years...

So, buying a treadmill is sort of like buying 8 years of gym membership based on my prices.

My maths might not be correct, but I think it is.

Also, if you're not motivated now - will you be motivated to use your treadmill?
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why not run outside and get a gym membership? If I had to pick between buying a treadmill and getting a gym membership I'd go with the gym membership because the membership will give you a variety of options including a treadmill. Do you enjoy running on a treadmill? Are you actually going to use it or is it just going to collect dust after a few weeks? I love running, but running on a treadmill is mind blowingly boring even with music or a tv.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love my home rowing machine. My husband has a stair master that he loves. I can't do the stairs due to knee issues.
    I'm a big believer in having home gyms. If I have the machine at home, I'm more likely to use it. I also like doing bodyweight and band exercises and yoga from You Tube.
    I have a gym membership for swimming but its a long enough drive that I'm less likely to go,even though I love it.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Went to a few gyms for awhile and found most of them SUCK. Waiting for machines, guys yapping on them instead of training, etc. Turned my basement into a home gym and haven't looked back. If your motivation is low, I'd join a gym for a bit and see how you hold up then go with home gear if you can swing it. I have a treadmill and a elliptical. Elliptical wins hand down, I use it 90% of the time over my treadmill. I found that running is pretty hard on the joints and I was always having some injury of sorts, less so with the treadmill as oppose to running outside, but it still caused some. No injuries what-so-ever on the elliptical in over a year of use and calorie burn is impressive with it. It's also a lot quieter than the treadmill so I can watch an interesting show while giving her. Another option to think about anyways. Good luck! :D
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Gym membership. Oh, and ditch the treadmill and pick up some heavy weights. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    GYM MEMBERSHIP
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Hey guys. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a treadmill.

I can't make my mind up. Do I buy a nice treadmill ( what things should i look for).

OR

Do I buy a gym membership at anytime fitness ( allows 24x7 access with personal keycard access).

I figure price is the biggest differance right?

Years and years ago I used to love going to the gym....now Im so out of shape im just plain embarrassed so I dont even know
    about where my motivation levels are each day vs having a treadmill in my house where I have access anytime?

What do you think? Any and all advise would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Haha, great minds think alike apparently.
    I started off with buying a treadmill cause I couldn't bear to be seen in all my wobbly fat glory at the gym. Plus if it was in my house I didn't really have much of an excuse not to get on it. So after 20 weeks of logging what I'm eating & adding some modest exercise 6 days a week I've dropped 17kgs (37ish pounds) & I'm ready to add some weights into the mix.

Do what you feel is right for you as long as it gets you stared & off your butt then you can work on adding variations in as you go.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is going to be different for everyone. I have owned a treadmill for over 12 years. It was very expensive and I do still actively use it. I hate gyms. I'm basically a homebody. . . I work long hours away from home and I want to spend my free time at home. My dog deserves my presence. I read, watch Netflix, and think while I'm pounding out the steps.

You have to figure out what suits your personality and lifestyle.