My wierd food and bad teen eating habits :)

Options
CyclingDiva
CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
Ok beside my sweet, junk food weakness...:tongue:
I have always tried to eat healthy and I'm always looking for good, filling, healthy foods
to eat or as my kids put it "mom's weird food". They are always commenting
on the things I eat. Funny thing is so do my co-workers :ohwell:
Today I made myself a baby romaine salad with 2 oz of grilled chicken breast,
sugar snap peas and chopped red bell pepper, with Ken's lite Raspberry
Pomegranate dressing..YUMMY! Not so weird...so you would think?
Well my wonderful 14 yr old son was laughing at me. He asked, who was going
to eat that plate of leaves. He said, I might as well go pick up a some leaves
off the ground outside.
Then I have my husband in the back ground commenting on how expensive the leaves
on my plate cost. He's eats healthy too, but he says I'm a high maintance eater..whatever LOL :tongue:
My kids seems to think the only type of lettuce is ice burg, smothered in ranch dressing....gggezzz!
Their dad and I have been divorced for 9 yrs and he's a big time meat and potato kind of guy.
They love eating over there because they have real hamburgers, not turkey burgers, real
ranch dressing, not lite...ect!
Now that they are teens it's getting harder to influence them to make healthy choices .
I swear If it's not peanut butter and honey or hot dogs...OMG!
I still make them healthy dinners and I will never give up on encouraging them to eat good.
I hope oneday mine and my husbands eating habits will rub off them.
Kel~ :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    Options
    Ok beside my sweet, junk food weakness...:tongue:
    I have always tried to eat healthy and I'm always looking for good, filling, healthy foods
    to eat or as my kids put it "mom's weird food". They are always commenting
    on the things I eat. Funny thing is so do my co-workers :ohwell:
    Today I made myself a baby romaine salad with 2 oz of grilled chicken breast,
    sugar snap peas and chopped red bell pepper, with Ken's lite Raspberry
    Pomegranate dressing..YUMMY! Not so weird...so you would think?
    Well my wonderful 14 yr old son was laughing at me. He asked, who was going
    to eat that plate of leaves. He said, I might as well go pick up a some leaves
    off the ground outside.
    Then I have my husband in the back ground commenting on how expensive the leaves
    on my plate cost. He's eats healthy too, but he says I'm a high maintance eater..whatever LOL :tongue:
    My kids seems to think the only type of lettuce is ice burg, smothered in ranch dressing....gggezzz!
    Their dad and I have been divorced for 9 yrs and he's a big time meat and potato kind of guy.
    They love eating over there because they have real hamburgers, not turkey burgers, real
    ranch dressing, not lite...ect!
    Now that they are teens it's getting harder to influence them to make healthy choices .
    I swear If it's not peanut butter and honey or hot dogs...OMG!
    I still make them healthy dinners and I will never give up on encouraging them to eat good.
    I hope oneday mine and my husbands eating habits will rub off them.
    Kel~ :flowerforyou:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I was reading what you were and thinking, "Doesn't sound weird to me":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So I guess I'm a high maintenence eater too(LOVE THAT!!!!:laugh: )
    I was brought up in home where exercise and nutrition were not even on the radar. My mom is from the south so you can imagine the bad food(Butter, fried, heavy sauces, gravies, whole milk,etc). I am trying to bring my kids up differently. My kids always complain they are the only ones in their class that doesn't get chips in their lunch or poparts for snack:noway: )
    Your kids may make fun of you now, but if you keep at it with making them aware of their food choices, etc.it will become part of who they are and hopefully when they are older they won't have as many health problems as their peers. Maybe you could find some info online about waht eating bad foods does to their bodies, like info with pics of organs, etc. Although teenagers are tough, b/c they already know EVERYTHING right?:laugh:
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    MKEITHLEY...

OMG let me tell you how much I talk to them about health. I work in surgery and I see so many unhealthy,
    overweight people on a daily basis. It's sad! I tell my kids about the risks these people
    put themselves into when they don't take care of themselves.
    My husband's own father for example had a heart transplant, was diabetic and just a mess.
    He lost both his legs and starting losing his fingers before he died at 62. The sad thing is he would
    never change his eating habits. That has a lot to do with my husband major obsession with exercise.
    It's upsetting my husbands oldest son is 5' 10" and is about 300+lbs at the age of 27 :cry:
    He looks just like his papa!
    My three kids on the other hand are lean and active. They are not over weight so they think not me...uggggg! You are exactly right when you say, they already know it all...gggeeezzzz:tongue:
    I think it was my senior year when it finally sunk in with me. My ex-husband (boyfriend at the time)
    use to eat Taco Bell and McDonalds almost everday. I changed, he never did :grumble:
    Now he's the cool dad because he eats like crap....sorry couldn't help it :laugh:
    I'll just keep shoving those veggies in there faces maybe one day it will seriously sink in :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My daughter is only 7, but finicky...finicky...finicky....:explode:

I've decided that it's time to teach that child how to cook & I'm gonna let her plan a meal one day a week, WITH the understanding that there will be no mac & cheese/hot dogs/pizza allowed. :noway:

I'm tired of trying to figure out something she'll do more the pick at. :grumble:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am worried about this too, even though my daughter is only a year old. I am concerned about what she will want to eat when she goes to school and sees what her friends eat! :laugh:

My friend sends two kids to elementary school. One tells her that every day they have a snack, and usually it is something like chocolate milk and donut holes! :noway: Ugh! I told her to talk to the teacher and (politely) recommend some healthier snacks.

After everything mothers try to instill in their children--TV, friends, and the lure of fast food will win at some point. Hopefully teens get it out of their system and remember what their mom fed them when they get a little older!