What do I eat?

Options
Since I started the MFP program, I've cut my portions significantly, no longer eating until I couldn't eat anymore (and sometimes further than that!). I've started to portion what I've been eating as well as adding a few healthier options to try to get my calories in line with the suggested number. While I almost always manage to keep below my calorie limit, I feel like the food I'm eating is not "healthy." What should I eat and what are some things I need to eliminate in order to facilitate my weight loss?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits in your goals. If you're having a hard time with portion control and find that you're going over your calories, then you might look at some options with more bulk and fewer calories, like lots and lots of veggies. Or, if you find that certain foods trigger you into not being able to control yourself, you might want to consider limiting those foods. Otherwise, there is no food you need to cut out. Many people find that cutting out whole food groups causes them to feel deprived and triggers binging. Figure out which works for you.

That being said, it's much easier to stay full and get all your macro and micronutrients if you eat a lot of lean meat and veggies, since they're lower in calories so you can eat a lot more. If you're having trouble with portion control, it might help to buy things in smaller amounts, or in single serving packages, or to portion them out as soon as you get home or open the package. A food scale also helps with that...it will make you think twice when you see that what you put on your plate is actually 2 portions, not one.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Set your diary to public and we can make sensible suggestions based on what you actually eat.
  • willfish116
    willfish116 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Diary is now public
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Whoa, dude, you're way undereating. Your goal is just that...a goal, to be reached every day. You should be eating pretty close to that goal. I eat more than you do, and I'm a 5' 3 1/2" chic.

So, my advice to you is to eat more. About 1000 calories more, most days.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Ok, as far as what you're eating, I do see a lot of pizza, fast food, and convenience foods like the peanutbutter crackers, and snack foods. And again, all that's fine if you're able to not go over your goal and if you're able to meet your macros...but you're going way under your goal, and you're nowhere near meeting your macros, so you might want to add some more nutritious food in with that stuff. Your workouts aren't going to help much if you're not eating enough, especially protein, to ensure that you can maintain muscle mass. As it is, your body is going to be eating up your muscle for energy because you're not providing enough in the form of calories.

More lean meats: chicken, turkey, lean deli meats, seafood. More veggies. And if you're still short on your calorie goal at the end of the day and you're not particularly hungry, eat nuts. They have protein and good fats.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Start by getting more fruit and veg in there. Snack on an apple or a banana, have some carrots or celery sticks to dip into peanut butter or a dip.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You should eliminate or at least significantly decrease the amount of CRAP in your diet.

C- carbonated beverages
    R- refined sugars
    A- artifical sweetners
    P- processed food

Those 4 things are a good start.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    And yes you aren't eating nearly enough
  • willfish116
    willfish116 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks guys I had no idea about all this other stuff I needed to look out for (I'm a major diet noob). I thought that calories were the end-all, be-all. I will definitely eat more to try to reach my daily calorie goal as well as adding better foods and taking out the bad stuff. Should I take some kind of multivitamin as well?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You should eliminate or at least significantly decrease the amount of CRAP in your diet.

C- carbonated beverages
    R- refined sugars
    A- artifical sweetners
    P- processed food

Technically, none of these things have to be cut for weight loss. If you want to cut them for your health or because cutting them makes it easier to hit your goals, then more power to you. But many, many people still eat these foods and lose weight and have great bodies and good health markers.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you like in quantities that fit your goals. It really is that simple.

Look for foods that have plenty of protein, fat, and fiber. These help you stay fuller and more satiated for longer.

Protein is good to help retain and repair your lean muscle mass while you're losing weight. You should try to be in the red on protein every day if you're using MFP's defaults.

Fat is good for brain function, hormone balance, healthy skin & nails, vitamin absorption, etc. Don't be afraid of it.

Carbs give you energy. They're not the devil, but they can be less filling than the other macros. Keep them in balance with the other macros (protein & fat) and you'll be fine.

Sugar is also not the devil as long as it's part of a balanced diet.

Veggies are low-calorie so you can eat a lot more of them for fewer calories. Also, they contain a lot of the micronutrients your body needs (vitamins & minerals). Get several servings into your day in any way that you can. If you have to hide cauliflower in your mashed potatoes, cover them with cheese, or roast them with olive oil before you'll eat them then do it. They're good for you.

Sweets, treats, and cheats are good for the soul. If you want to skip them and feel okay doing it then that's fine. But if you want to fit them in then you should. That doesn't mean you can eat nothing but ice cream and twinkies all day. But a serving here and there won't negate all of the healthy foods you're eating.

If you haven't come across them yet, I always recommend starting with these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

And then read these when you're ready to take your logging accuracy to the next step:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Calories are pretty much the end-all for weight loss. However, I know I prefer to fill my diet with veggies, meat, fruit, and a little dairy just because I like to eat food. Less processed food tends to give you more calorie bang for your buck.

Heck, I spent my entire life at a healthy weight eating crap. I'm still a healthy weight, a little leaner, eat way less crap (except for yesterday, haha), and generally feel more satisfied with food and body.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your food, keep doing what you're doing! Try to hit your calorie goals without going over or under by more than 50 - 100 (but try to keep it balanced for the week).

Otherwise, take a look at the Canada Food Guidelines (even if you're not from Canada). It's a great resource and I know someone who lost weight simply by following their recommendations (not counting calories).

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/food-guide-aliment/view_eatwell_vue_bienmang-eng.pdf
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks guys I had no idea about all this other stuff I needed to look out for (I'm a major diet noob). I thought that calories were the end-all, be-all. I will definitely eat more to try to reach my daily calorie goal as well as adding better foods and taking out the bad stuff. Should I take some kind of multivitamin as well?

Sure, calories are the main part of weight loss but we don't just eat to gain/lose weight - we eat to nourish our bodies and it takes quite a number of calories just to support basic body functions (I think the minimum for guys is 1500). When you set up your MFP profile, it takes into account all your info, activity level and amount of weight per week you said you'd like to lose and establishes a daily calorie goal that already includes a deficit so you don't have to eat under that numter, you should strive to meet it or come as close as possible. No one needs to starve themselves to lose weight.

And if/when you exercise, you should log that and plan to eat back at least half of earned calories.

It never hurts to take a mutli vitamin but also make sure you're eating a good balance of nutrients - lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies and some healthy fats too. And keep the occassional treat in there too so you don't go nuts with cravings.

Good luck!
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As a mom, I would say you need to eat more fruits & veggies. Yes, I give my kids chicken nuggets and let them eat granola bars with chocolate chips, but my four year old will tell you that his favorite foods are broccoli and carrots and chicken and rice. There's lots of room for treats (and even fast food now and again), but you need nutrients to fuel your body (including adequate calories as mentioned above).
    Keep at it!
    :happy:
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options

C- carbonated beverages
    R- refined sugars
    A- artifical sweetners
    P- processed food

I. Love. This.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Shop the outer edges of the grocery store for most of your food. This will have you buying fresh meats, fresh produce, and dairy. Then rice, beans, and other grains and legumes in reasonable quantities (it's ok to measure your food, how else will you know?) frozen vegetables without additives are also okay. If you are primarily cooking from scratch, avoiding packaged/processed items, sodas, fast food, and junk almost all of the time, then you will be eating clean, and this is healthiest for your body. So for example suppose that for dinner, you cook up some rice, bake some skinless chicken breasts, and steam some broccoli. Have a small cup of yogurt or piece of fruit as dessert Tada, nutritious dinner! Herbs and spices, lemon juice, and a little olive oil will add flavor and interest to foods that might otherwise seem too plain. You will also save a lot of money!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

C- carbonated beverages
    R- refined sugars
    A- artifical sweetners
    P- processed food

Yeah, how about no?

Eat within your targets for weight loss. Calorie deficit is all that's needed.

Hit your macros and micros for overall health!