Addition to chocolate

Options
Any one else finding it so hard to go a day without one little bar of chockolate (I usually eat a twirl bar almost every day, but nowadays Id either eat a freddo or kitkat 2 fingures)
Its like I'm going insane, first thing I think about in the morning is chockolate and its on my mind all day, especially at night.
I have no problem saying to to fizzy drinks and chrisps and take out food, that's never been a problem for me. But chockolate is.
How often do you guys treat yourself to it? I work it into my food diary every few days, but I know its bad to have it everyday.

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    On 1200 calories a day, you're body is probably craving the extra calories, increase you're calories using healthy food and the cravings will lessen.
    This is the approx amount of calories(a day) your organs need to function, Heart = 168, Kidneys = 168, Liver = 322, Brain = 322 , Skeletal Muscles = 420 (adds up to 1400 calories and this isn't taking into account any sort of movement, never mind exercise)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used to crave chocolate daily. I eat it a few times a week, as a part of a balanced diet. It got easier over time, and I found it helps to control the urge if you are eating enough calories. I would agree with the above poster, you might not be eating enough, so firstly working out whether you could be eating more and still losing may help you feel better and assist you in keeping in control. This link is a good one to check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Other chocolate tips:
    -I don't buy a big block or packet or anything because I know I'll probably not stop at a serve haha. So that's another tip. I get single individual bars at a time.

-You can scan the barcodes on the mobile app in the store to check if it's gonna fit in your day :) I found it a good deterrent because I was consciously seeing it would put me in the red if I got it.

-Try to pre-plan your food for the day sometimes, perhaps the night before or whenever you've got time. A little planning and organisation can make it easier to stick to your goal.

-Remember there's nothing wrong with eating it, or any of the foods you like. You've just got to find a balance where you add foods you enjoy into your diet so it is sustainable and enjoyable...but I try to make sure that if I want some, I still have the room to get enough calories, nutrients and stick to my macro's if I'm to have it. If not, I have to exercise to earn it! This means that generally I eat really well because it means I can eat plenty, feel full, get all my vitamins etc. Even on 1620 calories a day, I learned the hard way that if I eat lots of sweets for breakfast, it gets pretty hard to then balance out the rest of the day and feel satisfied, eat enough calories without going over fats, carbs, sugars etc.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I get the Lindt Dark Assortment and have1-2 squares a day. I even place it in a little bowl with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and microwave for 30 seconds. Then I stir and drizzle it over a banana! Heaven!
    Just make sure it fits into your calorie day!
    I would have never been able to lose weight without chocolate!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    but I know its bad to have it everyday.
    Why is it bad to have it everyday? You like it it's a small amount and it fits into your calories.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    but I know its bad to have it everyday.
    Why is it bad to have it everyday? You like it it's a small amount and it fits into your calories.

This. a little chocolate everyday keeps me from going postal lol
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate, crisps AND fizzy drink all the time. This may not be the best advice to be healthy but it's working so far for me:

For fizzy drink I have changed over to Coke Zero. I have it as little as I can but I still give in. It's hard enough to be "dieting" without taking away everything you love.

For chocolate I buy a small bar of 70% dark chocolate. When I really want chocolate I have 1-2 squares of it (10-15g) and it's normally enough. It's not too bad for you this way. Also, Jaffa cakes are a reasonably low calorie all round treat for me.

For my biggest vice (crisps) I have started making them myself. If I don't want to go to the bother of making them then I obviously don't want them enough. For anyone who's interested- I peel a potato and use a peeler/ mandolin to cut thin slices. Put 1-2 tsp of oil in a bowl with your crisps and mix them together until there's a very small amount of oil on each crisp. Place them (without overlapping) on some greaseproof paper and sprinkle your flavourings on them. I normally just do salt or paprkia. Then put them in the oven at a mid temp for 5-15 mins (can't be more specific, sorry). This also works for sweet potatos and (I've heard) root veggies.

But anyway, the basic idea is to let yourself have these things but make it slightly inconvenient. That way you'll have them less and still get to enjoy your treats :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Also, Jaffa cakes are a reasonably low calorie all round treat for me.

I always take jaffa cakes to races with me, I go on the theory that the chocolate/orange jelly is quick releasing energy and the sponge is slow releasing energy (that's my theory and I'm sticking to it), 1 jaffa cake per mile (thought about per kilometres but don't think I could tan 42 for a marathon)!!!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate protein smoothies or chocolate yogurt. I just use plain yogurt and cocoa plus a bit of stevia.
    If I really need chocolate I'll eat one square of very dark, high quality chocolate.
    Ricotta cheese and cocoa is like a fluffy,chocolate mouse!