protein challenge!

Options

Replies

• ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree it is difficult but the last two weeks I have managed to be pretty close to or meet the protein goal.
    I have fish and either rice or cous-cous for lunch, a chicken or beef based dinner in the evenings and protein bars/ post workout shakes.

due to intolerances I have cut down on my intake of cows milk,eggs,and cheese which would all normally help. I still have them in small amounts but they are a minimal source of protein for me at the moment.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    At the very least, ditch those breakfast bars eat protein bars/shakes instead.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Its difficult to meet protein goals!

So far today I've had natural yogurt, cottage cheese, ham, babybel, cheese string and milk (in my cups of tea)

And that's only 33g of protien. I still need to eat over 100g more!

I like chicken / turkey / fish... One of those things will be dinner tonight... But its still gonna be hard to get that much protein!

eat greek yogurt instead of regular....smoked turkey instead of Ham ...that will up it....
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    beans, jerky, canned meats, certain veggies. I look for bread with high protein. little bits through the day add up. :)
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    A can of tuna has 28g of protein.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Whey protein + water
    Brown rice + black beans + ground turkey or chicken sausage or tofu or egg whites + hot sauce
    Chobani nonfat plain yogurt (23 G protein in a cup... pretty good for yogurt)
    Egg whites (hardboiled or scrambled or whatever... I scramble one whole egg with 4-5 whites)
    Lentils and rice
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Whey protein pancakes
    Protein powder "cheese cake"
    Healthy huevos rancheros (basically eggs, beans and salsa)
    Nonfat or lowfat cottage cheese
    Baked Tilapia / Cod
    Canned Tuna
    Or any combination of the above.

I would stay away from all of the cheese you're having, unless it's ultra light. In my opinion, cheese (and a lot of dairy) wind up being a lot like suasage; yes, there's protein, but there's nearly an equal amount of fat. I know that there are exceptions in the dairy world, though. Just one of those things I try to avoid unless it's low-fat or really darn tasty.

ETA: fish stuff
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Yea Um..
    -- You could have a protein drink That has 30 grams protein.
    -- You could also have some sort of beans. That 8 grams of protien
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    A can of tuna has 28g of protein.
    What can of tuna are you buying.. mine only has 20
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Whey protein + water
    Brown rice + black beans + ground turkey or chicken sausage or tofu or egg whites + hot sauce
    Egg whites (hardboiled or scrambled or whatever... I scramble one whole egg with 4-5 whites)
    Lentils and rice
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Whey protein pancakes
    Baked Tilapia / Cod
    Canned Tuna

I would stay away from all of the cheese you're having, unless it's ultra light. In my opinion, cheese (and a lot of dairy) wind up being a lot like suasage; yes, there's protein, but there's nearly an equal amount of fat. I know that there are exceptions in the dairy world, though. Just one of those things I try to avoid unless it's low-fat or really darn tasty.

What's wrong with fat?
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have such high protein Grams set? MFP set my protein @ 60 and Carbs @ 150. I did not think this sounded right at the time. So I go over every day. I try to get at least 80+ Protein and stay around 100 Carbs. Most of which are fruits and Veggies. ( fat set @40- I try to keep it around 20 or below)
    Does that sound better than what MFP set it at?
    I get mine from FF cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, Protein shakes and homemade protein bars. I also eat quite a bit of chicken. Those are my main sources.
    Good Luck! :drinker:
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you for the brilliant suggestions!

I do have a thing of whey powder - but its so damn expensive that I try to ration it out and just use it on days where I do my exercises!

I absolutely bloody love cheese! this is the problem! and in another thread someone recommended that I ate full fat cheese products to increase my calorie count - so now I'm unsure what to do!

I didn't know my portions of things were too small tho. I was thinking I actually had a big lunch that day because I had loads of things. lol
  • Hornsby
    Options
    thanks to all of you for the brilliant suggestions!

I do have a thing of whey powder - but its so damn expensive that I try to ration it out and just use it on days where I do my exercises!

I absolutely bloody love cheese! this is the problem! and in another thread someone recommended that I ate full fat cheese products to increase my calorie count - so now I'm unsure what to do!

I didn't know my portions of things were too small tho. I was thinking I actually had a big lunch that day because I had loads of things. lol

You eat whichever cheese helps you hit your macros, but know, there is nothing wrong with fat.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    At the very least, ditch those breakfast bars eat protein bars/shakes instead.

yeah to be honest the breakfast bars are once in a blue moon....... I don't usually bother with breakfast
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Whey protein + water
    Lentils and rice
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Whey protein pancakes
    Baked Tilapia / Cod
    Canned Tuna

What's wrong with fat?

I was going to ask the same thing. And swap out your regular yogurt for Greek. My diary is also open if you're looking for ideas.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Whey protein + water
    Lentils and rice
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Whey protein pancakes
    Baked Tilapia / Cod
    Canned Tuna

What's wrong with fat?

I was going to ask the same thing. And swap out your regular yogurt for Greek. My diary is also open if you're looking for ideas.

thanks so much
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fat?

I think in this context it is taking away available calories for protein, but yeah... nothing wrong with fat.

Egg whites are an easy way to add protein without many calories. I buy the case of pasteurized cartons from Costco. I add an egg white or two to whole eggs for omelets/ scrambled eggs, I add some to Greek yogurt for my cereal (I use Greek yogurt instead of milk to make a more filling meal), and I add egg whites to my protein shakes.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Its difficult to meet protein goals!

So far today I've had natural yogurt, cottage cheese, ham, babybel, cheese string and milk (in my cups of tea)

And that's only 33g of protien. I still need to eat over 100g more!

I like chicken / turkey / fish... One of those things will be dinner tonight... But its still gonna be hard to get that much protein!

so a spoonful of each of those things to only get 33g of protein!? you need to eat bigger portions...

i have a 250g pot of cottage cheese with my salad, thats 25g protein.... or 2-3 slices of ham and a boiled egg, thats at least 15g.... a 170g pot of fat free greek yoghurt is 18g of protein....

how many calories are you eating?

Well that was just my breakfast and lunch. 521 cals so far.

Breakfast

Cereal bar 1 of, 2.1g protein, 138 cal

Lunch

All bran cereal 26g, 2.3g protein, 70 cal
    Natural yogurt 35g, 1.5g protein, 21 cal
    Babybel 1 of, 4g protein, 75cal
    Apple 103g, 0.4g protein, 55cal
    Ham 34g, 7.7g protein, 39 cal
    Cheese string 25g, 7.1g protein, 71cal
    Cottage cheese 86g, 7.9g protein, 52cal

And a cup of tea, with skim milk.
    My first thought is to swap the breakfast bar for one with a higher protein count; lots of options available on that front. The bran cereal for lunch can be swapped with a higher protein granola option, among other choices.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Salmon, tuna, tilapia, mahi mahi...I get about 140 grams of protein per day while remaining under my calorie goals. These really help. They have tons of protein, and they are low in calories.
  • Elretardo616
    Options
    Im 230lbs, train heavy full body 3x per week and only have 180g protein a day. There are people a lot smaller than me here eating way more, its unnecessary really. Just eat bigger portions, eat meat and add shakes. A good serving of protein powder can give you half or more of your daily protein. Its really not that hard. The foods you are eating are far too low in protein. Eat higher protein foods!
  • JSE150
    JSE150 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, Quest bars...

I get at least 130 g of protein per day - check out my diary if you'd like.

Agreed! My goal is 120g per day and both of these help me get there.