Help! Haven't Lost in 10 Days! :(

Let me start off by saying that I'm 300 lbs. I've only lost 35 lbs in the past 8 weeks, and I feel like that is not very much for someone my size. I have been losing consistently, but in the last 10 days, I've actually GAINED 2 lbs, and haven't lost ANYTHING! I am running/walking at least 1.5mi per day, 6 days a week. The only thing I really changed last week, was that I lifted weights one day for about 20 minutes, but I don't think that would be the reason for not losing and actually gaining? I am allowed to have 1,670 cals per day. Most days I get around 1,400, but some days I've eaten around 1,550. Can someone help me? I feel like I should be losing more weight, especially since I'm so big :( I'm really getting discouraged! :sad:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    weight loss is not linear...and not losing weight for 10 days is not a big deal...try going 3 weeks.

As for the gain it's from the new exercise most likely...water retention..it happens with new exercise.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    is this the first time you lifted? new exercise can cause water retention in your muscles, but if youre in a deficit then you are still losing fat

dont sweat about a lbs or 2 over a period of time that short, weight fluctuates too much due to water and food waste. give it some more time

patience and persistance
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    weight loss is not linear...and not losing weight for 10 days is not a big deal...try going 3 weeks.

As for the gain it's from the new exercise most likely...water retention..it happens with new exercise.

QFT , just be patient and stick with it
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    I know that, but being 300 lbs, it's very hard to understand why I've increased my activity and limited my food so much in the last 8 weeks, and I'm only 35 down....well, now only 33 down. And the worst part is I feel like all of that was water weight. When am I going to start losing fat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I know that, but being 300 lbs, it's very hard to understand why I've increased my activity and limited my food so much in the last 8 weeks, and I'm only 35 down....well, now only 33 down. And the worst part is I feel like all of that was water weight. When am I going to start losing fat?

you keep saying 'only' 35lbs... this isnt biggest loser, you're not going to lose 10lb a week if you are losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way.... 35lbs is a GREAT start in your first 8 weeks... just be patient and consistant and the scales will keep going down.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Weight loss is not linear at all. And you should eat your recommended calories. Under eating can be detrimental to weight loss. 35 pounds in 8 weeks is not quite 4.5 pounds a week on average. I don't think that's much to complain about. A 2 pound gain can be water weight, hormonal fluctuations based on where you are in your cycle, etc.

Don't expect the weight to drop in large chunks consistently. You didn't gain the weight overnight and it won't go away overnight. It will take time. The closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight will come off, too. It took me about 3 months to lose my final 5 pounds.
  • KaraBoo87
    Thanks for the comments all!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Adjust your expectations. 35 lbs in 8 weeks is a huge amount. It sounds like your body is slowing down the rate of weight loss a bit. I've had 3 week periods where I haven't changed anything but not seen a loss, or even had a small gain. It's how it works. You might find that next week you're down 3 lbs. Just carry on doing what you're doing and settle in for the long, slow journey ahead.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Theres no way you lost 35 pounds of water weight. Also, I realize the heavier you are the faster the weight does come off at first, but 35 pounds in 2 months is pretty dang good I think. It took a while to put that weight on, and will take a while to take it off. Theres no hurry, in fact the more you take your time, the more you get used to your new way of eating and the more likely the weight loss will stick. There will be plenty of weeks, you will lose a lot, and plenty where you wont lose any. Dont be discouraged.
  • KaraBoo87
    I'm not meaning to complain or anything.....It's just very frustrating.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

This...

I understand it's frustrating, we have all been there. Just stick with it. Patience.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    dear, shake it off, try taking pictures or measurements.. that scale is the devil. I was 310 when i started this and it took me over 100 days to get where I am now.. you're practically nipping at my heels! What are you worried about!?!?1 Keep up the great work and you'll be fine!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

you keep saying 'only' 35lbs... this isnt biggest loser, you're not going to lose 10lb a week if you are losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way.... 35lbs is a GREAT start in your first 8 weeks... just be patient and consistant and the scales will keep going down.

I'm with her, try to stop using the word ONLY. I've "only" lost 35 lbs. You've lost 35 lbs! That's awesome! That's amazing! Celebrate it!!! When you put it like I've only lost 35 lbs you are minimizing what you accomplished.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    When the fat cells lose fat water moves in at first, then you will see a woosh and you will see weight loss. You are retaining water. Log your food accurately. Weight and measure and you will see a drop.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Frustrating yes. But it happens. I've gone a couple of weeks without losing anything or even gaining a bit. When that happens I have to just take a deep breath and trust the process.
    And yes, 35lbs (or even 33) in 8 weeks is spectacular. I'm not a doctor or a dietician or a nutritionist but from experience I can say that you have had a lot of success to this point and leveling out a bit is normal.
    THE most important thing for me in this process - the main factor that has contributed to what I've accomplished so far - is adjusting my expectations. As hard as it can be sometimes, if I can constantly remind myself that losing 1-2lbs a week is normal and healthy and part of the overall plan, then I'm less inclined to give up and eat an entire pepperoni pizza when I have a tough day.... or week... or month.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I get that you're mostly venting but seriously hon - what's the alternative? Give up? Nah, not gonna happen. You just gotta keep on keepin on. And yeah - stop with that "only" crap. You've lost 35 pounds in 8 weeks!! Holy ****e! That's over 4 pounds per week! Definitely nothing to get upset about. There was a post on here yesterday about a woman being in an abusive relationship with the negative voices in her head. You should read that and gain some perspetive. Stop being so hard on yourself and celebrate your victories!

It's very likely water weight. You're not regaining actual fat - that's just not possible on a calorie deficit. When I first started out, I lost 2-4 pounds per week but as soon as I started exercising, I went up a pound and then stalled out for a couple weeks. Didn't let it get me down, kept up with the calorie deficit and exercise and the next week I was down another 4.

No one really talks about it but patience is a HUGE factor with weight loss. We all want to lose the weight NOW but that's just not how it works. Some weeks you lose a lot, some weeks you don't. Water weight is brought on by new/more intense exercise, TOM, too much sodium/not enough water, even unusually high carb intake. Fluctuations happen, get used to them.

Good luck!
  • KaraBoo87
    Thanks, all!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I'm not meaning to complain or anything.....It's just very frustrating.

Yes we understand that but remember you didn't put the weight on in 35weeks....40 weeks...or even 52 weeks...this is going to take some time...and as long as you do it at a healthy sustainable rate you have more of a chance of keeping it off...and isn't that really the end goal here?
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    weight fluctuates... to be honest, you shouldn't be weighing yourself all that often. Sometimes you will lose lbs, or inches... it all depends. You are doing amazing!!!