Confessions of a closet eater....

Options
124»

Replies

• IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you, I don't like your list of questions. And the reason I don't like it is because it 1) places blame on the food (not high in nutrition, processed, can be bought at a gas station), and 2) incorporates shaming, either through body shaming or peer shaming.

Bingeing and compulsive eating are behavioral issues that have little to do with food. The only question that even touches on that is "16) Am I just eating my emotions?" In order to change a behavior, you first have to identify why you engage in this behavior in the first place, then work to change it. Blaming the food for being "bad" or shaming yourself may get you to put the cookie down, but it isn't addressing the root cause, just treating the symptoms.

Often when the root cause is not addressed, another behavior replaces the old one. It's why you see alcoholics take up smoking, or former smokers put on weight after quitting. They got used to doing one behavior in times of stress/emotions (drinking or smoking), and now that they can't do that but do not have the coping mechanisms to deal with the stress/emotions, they use the new behavior (smoking/eating).

I think trying to identify what is going on to nip a binge in the bud is absolutely a good thing, but the way you are going about it is flawed. I feel like you are setting yourself up to feel worse about yourself when you do have a slip with all the negativity you have in your list. If bingeing or compulsive eating is truly an issue, I would recommend talking to a doctor or therapist to help get to the root of the issues, or contacting an Overeaters Anonymous group for support.

You need to calm down and respect that some people use humor to express frustration.
    Also, other people's journeys or approaches are not up for your judgement.
    My posts are for me to get my emotions out and see if people relate to me.
    NOT so someone can judge or play doctor.

You are more then welcome to not like and/or read my posts.
    You are even more welcome to keep it to yourself. :flowerforyou:

There isnt a day that I dont address my struggles.
    Have a good day.
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Thank you very much for this you have no idea how much this has helped me.
    I have copied and pasted your list of questions into word and just wrote in my own answers.

It was like a light bulb moment, and gave me clarity.
    It made me think about how I feel after I over eat but without overeating first.

I will read my answers daily and if I ever feel the urge to over eat or deviate from my diet plan.
    I think you may have just given me the last tool, the last piece of motivation I needed to succeed and become a happy healthy person again.

Thank you.

68227594.png

:heart: I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!
    Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    OP, I love reading your posts...injecting a little humor is often how I cope with what's going on around me...sometimes bitter truths are made a bit sweeter when it's served with humor.

I would certainly hope that no one is pedantic enough to read your post literally as a hard n fast road map to sexypants.

Keep it up, lady...
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Thanks lady!!!!
    I got to keep rolling and not let the negativity get me down.

Thanks for reading!!!!!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You go round eating...closets?

Now that is worrying...
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    LOL.... if I have a bad enough day.
    Kidding!