Knee Pain

I just started exercising last week, and I've never been much of a runner, so I decided to start. I do 2.5 miles a day, and run 1/5 of the mile, and walk the rest. After my break day two days ago, I began to feel a pain in both of my knees, yesterday it wasn't so bad so I ignored it and went to the gym and ran on the treadmill anyway. Last night, and this morning it's been nothing but a sharp pain and it has been difficult to walk.
The last time I tried running, it didn't hurt my knees so much, it was more of my calves, and I was forced to stop.
I've been researching runner's knee and I've read that a lot of people that have gotten it are people that run quiet often.
I've really shown dedication to the gym and have gotten excited about my running progress. I'm looking to do cardio and not toning. I've read swimming is a good thing to do, but is something like an aqua zumba class okay to do as well? I've also heard good and bad things about doing the elliptical- is it okay?
And what are some ways to speed up recovery?

Replies

• stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    I think the reason you're getting pain could possibly be from your form. When you're running, it's optimal to press down in the middle part of the foot, instead of the typical heel-toe action which could prevent from injury. Water exercises like swimming and water zumba would probably be beneficial while you're recovering because it puts less stress on your joints. The elliptical is fine, I see no issue with it and I use it for a big burn when I go to the gym. As far as speeding up recovery - lay off of your knee and do water sports or stationary bike or whatever floats your boat for cardio. Stretch frequently to help prevent injury and don't go running when you feel pain in your knee because the first sign of pain was most likely your body warning you to stop and take it easy.
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    I'm in a similar boat. Just started running for cardio, was pleased with my progress, and started feeling knee pain (inner lower part of knee). It sucks but I think I just need to lay off for a while and heal before trying again. I'll be paying a lot more attention to my form next time, maybe get some new shoes, and try to ease into it a bit more. I think my problem was that I tried to push myself too hard too fast.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Tommy Copper makes some excellent knee guards that really work. take a look at them online.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    You can also try varying some of the cardio you do at the gym and use an elliptical or cycle which are good low-impact cardio options.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    You could also be having an issue with the muscles associated with your knee being too tight and pulling on the knee in a painful way. I would spend some serious time working on stretching out everything through you hips butt thighs and calves, they all connect, and for me, once one thing starts getting too tight it's like a chain reaction through the rest of my leg. If you are going to be sticking with the running and walking, you might also look at getting a foam roller to help keep those muscles loose so things don't start pulling.
  • stanthom
    stanthom Posts: 13
    Before you started running, did you go to running shoe store and get fitted for new shoes? If not, don't run another step until you do. If you have, go back to the store and tell them what is happening and they will get you something with the support you need. If they don't, go to a different running store.