FitBit

Options
2»

Replies

• laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the FITBIT Zip and I love it!!!!! It's really helped me a lot! pushes me to get my minimum 10,000 steps a day and then I log other exercise in MyFitnessPal.

Somehow, it's made a huge difference in my motivation which has translated into a lifestyle change.
  • sabyx_is1
    sabyx_is1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and I'm very happy with it. I used to have a KiFit (Boddybug in America) but the only incovenience about it was that it was very awkward to wear - around the top of the arm (although I used to mostly wear it in my bra after a while).

Fitbit Flex is very compact and you can wear it around your wrist. You can also buy different colour wristbands to match your outfit.

The ONLY PROBLEM I have with it is that it doesn't record the calories burnt during High Intensity Interval Training accordingly. I read somewhere that it isn't meant for those kind of activities as it doesn't measure your heart rate. So, instead, I use a HRM and log those calories on the FitBit app.

I hope this helps, x
  • newday180
    newday180 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I looked at the Fitbit line and their Web App. I was kinda' turned off because Fitbit forces you to sync with your computer or smartphone to know exactly where you're at during the course of the day. So, I chose the Withings Pulse. I was so impressed by the Pulse and their Health Mate Web App and Health Mate iOS App, I ended up buying the Withings blood pressure monitor and the Withings Smart Body Analyzer scale which also fully integrate with both Health Mate Apps. The Pulse has its own display where I can check my step count anytime without connecting to a phone, it can measure my pulse and my specific dissolved oxygen (Oxymetry) simultaneously during a brief rest period which is a good indicator to identify the onset of an imminent asthma attack, and consumers have a choice of wearing it clipped to a pocket (or elsewhere) or it can be worn like a watch on the wrist depending on user preference.

The only downside to the Withings Pulse is that it is not waterproof. To address the waterproof issue, I recently purchased a Garmin Vivofit. The Vivofit is worn on the wrist and will easily pair with Garmin's heart rate monitor. For me, the Vivofit is ideal for swimming, fishing, kayaking, and other watersports.

So, I wear both of them with the Withings Pulse clipped to my pocket and the Garmin Vivofit worn on my wrist.

As for accuracy, I've found the Withings Pulse is more conservative in its count because my Pulse is clipped to my pocket rather than worn on my wrist. Any random motion of your hand (like when driving a car) has some potential to count as a step when wearing any activity tracker on your wrist, including the Garmin Vivofit. The difference between the Withings Pulse (clipped to my pocket) and the Garmin Vivofit has varied by as much as 1300 steps during the course of a given day depending upon how animated my arm motion has been throughout the day. I'm a lefty so I'm toying with the idea of moving the Vivofit from my left wrist to my right wrist and wearing my watch on my left wrist. Perhaps that switch will reduce the potential for erroneous step counting.

The Withings Pulse and Withings Health Mate Apps are geared more toward overall family health, while Garmin Connect Apps and the Garmin Vivofit is targeted toward individuals pursuing a more active and athletic lifestyle. Both integrate quite well with MFP without being too intrusive. Both Withings and Garmin have released fairly frequent software updates and quick bug fixes for their products from my experience.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Pulse is a great choice, but just for accuracy- the Fitbits also have a display. The Jawbone Up doesn't have a display.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit ONE... it clips on...just about anyway....and I love mine... not problems and if you do have a question or problem the support folks are great and fast.... money WELL spent!
    :happy:
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i have a flex and love it... it is worn on my wrist and is water resistant so i never take it off... i wear it in the pool while doing water aerobics... i am able sync with my phone so i know where i am at activity wise throughout the day...
  • Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. Really like it It has a really good battery life, hardly needs to be charged and charges really fast. I haven't had any problems with it syncing. the clip it comes with is really strong so little risk of it falling off of whatever you clip it to.

The one downside is its really small. Thats usually nice but can lead to it getting lost. There is an app you can get to help you find it if its misplaced though. I put it on my night table when i sleep and my cat has nocked it off several times. One time he actually ran off with it.....
  • doIdaretoeatapeach
    doIdaretoeatapeach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm thisclose to buying a FitBit One. The black model is about $99, but a couple of sites have the burgundy color for $80. For something I plan to wear hidden, I'll go for the off color and $20 savings.

Sorry to hear that it doesn't track stairs well, though.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm thisclose to buying a FitBit One. The black model is about $99, but a couple of sites have the burgundy color for $80. For something I plan to wear hidden, I'll go for the off color and $20 savings.

Sorry to hear that it doesn't track stairs well, though.

I've actually not had an issue with that - it seems pretty accurate, though it combines stairs and inclined steps (which is fine, really, since walking up a hill, while not the same as walking up stairs, is also not the same as walking flat).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The issue with stairs is usually not that it doesn't track them well but because it uses an altimeter which uses air pressure, you might get a lot of 'false positive' stair flights on days with weather conditions that affect it. So typically it'll count the flights of stairs you do fine but now and then you'll have a day where you've got 48 flights of stairs when you did none. Though it doesn't count toward anything, it's just a stand-alone value.

I have the burgundy One and paid full price for it and don't consider it an 'off color', but I had a black Fitbit for 4 years prior so I like the new color. :smile:
  • doIdaretoeatapeach
    doIdaretoeatapeach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To be honest, for the $19 - 20 savings, it could be any 'off' color and I'd take it. I'm cheap like that.