When you are sick

Options
When you are not feeling great do you still workout? I am getting a cold (or my allergies are killing me slowly) and I did T25 already today but I still have C25K to do later today. At what point to you decide to not workout and is it OK to push yourself to workout if you are just not feeling your best with a sore throat and a bit of a dry cough that only appears when you are really active?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    A typical rule of thumb is if the illness is above the neck (stuffy nose, allergies, etc.) it's ok to work out (I personally wouldn't if it's a headache though since blood pressure rising could make it even worse). If it's below the neck (lungs, stomach, flu, etc.), then your body needs rest.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise, while overall making you healthier and boosting your immune system, can actually lower your immune response in the short term (few hours to 1 day after exercise). So if you know you're ill, it may be best to just focus on getting better. Then again, if it's a mild enough cold and you feel fine to go ahead and work out it probably won't kill you.

Just don't go to the gym or another public place. I HATE when I see someone sneezing and coughing all over equipment in the gym, especially now that I know my body is more vulnerable to catching something when I'm exercising.