My god, it's everywhere...

Options
13»

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Wait, is sodium the enemy now?

Yes. Sodium is the enemy. All sodium are terrorists.

Beware of the Sodiumites
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I solved my sodium problem rather easily.

I removed it from my diary. Now I don't see that big red number any more.

This. I did it with sugar too.

It's not medically necessary for me to freak out over it, so I just don't.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    The study, “Compared With Usual Sodium Intake, Low-and Excessive-Sodium Diets Are Associated With Increased Mortality: A Meta-Analysis,” concluded that 2,645 – 4,945 mg of sodium per day, a range of intake within which the vast majority of Americans fall, actually results in more favorable health outcomes than the CDC’s current recommendation of less than 2300mg/day for healthy individuals under 50 years old, and less than 1500 mg/day for most over 50 years. This study was a combined analysis of 25 individual studies, which measured results from over 274,683 individuals.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know! So much sodium in things like almond milk. And in my favorite foods (this, I knew about), like kimchi and pickles.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    full-bleed-1276653462.jpg
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wait, is sodium the enemy now?

For those of us with high blood pressure and advised by our doctors to reduce sodium, yeah - I would say it's my enemy. Doesn't mean it's your enemy, but then I am not big on using broad brushes on such matters.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    What's so great about MFP (on others like it) is the awareness it brings to so many of us who just didn't have a clue. When I started looking at the nutrition labels on my old favorite canned and frozen foods, I was so shocked by the sodium content, and often with the canned foods, I was eating more than a single serving at a time, so the sodium intake was even higher . I don't have high blood pressure, but it sure runs in my family, so I do try to keep the sodium levels in check.
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I solved my sodium problem rather easily.

I removed it from my diary. Now I don't see that big red number any more.

Thank you. I was scanning through the replies before saying the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure my system would go into some sort of shock if I cut my sodium intake as far as the suggestion.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to say stupidity. But yes, sodium, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium can be an issue...too little sodium can also be an issue.

I have hypertension so went all balls to the wall trying to cut sodium early on and all I ended up with was a bunch of cramping on my runs; it did nothing for my hypertension.

I still try to watch it, but so long as I'm between around 1800 mg and the RDA I seem to do fine...much below 1800 mg and I start having cramping issues. I exercise quite a bit and I drink tons of water...I also make sure that my potassium intake is around 1.5 times my sodium intake. For many people, that is the bigger issue...their PH balance is way off...too much sodium and not enough potassium.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If I could have a salt lick installed in my apartment, I would. I think I've lost my tolerance, though. I had a few packets of soy sauce last night and woke up 3 lbs heavier this morning.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    When I was a little one, I would pour table salt into the palm of my hand and lick it up, on an almost daily basis. My mother was horrified, but my doctor was like "lol no biggie." Years later, I still loves my salt, but not THAT much.

....I just felt like sharing. Back to your originally scheduled MFP-ing.