what the longest you should workout

Options
jw....because my hubby has a 2 hours class that i can workout during since i wont have my son and was wondering if it okay to workout more than an hour.... and when should I stop

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Two hours should probably be fine as long as you eat back at least half of your calories and makes sure you actually have the energy to exercise for that long.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Work out as long as you want! As long as you still have energy, you're drinking plenty of water and eating enough throughout the day before & after your work out to restore the energy and calories you burned. Don't make a habit of working out several hours a day everyday but every now and then is okay and everyday would be fine once you are in optimal shape.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    I'll just say as a former athlete that we would work out for hours and be fine. So, I wouldn't push yourself too hard to where you are feeling bad, but I know that a body can handle hours of work.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    NEVER keep going when you start to feel faint, lightheaded, dizzy, etc. But a long workout isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't hurt yourself or over exert yourself. Listen to your body.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for 8 hours a couple times a year, just for the fun of it. Three things I have learned when cycling.

One, eat about 200 calories every hour after the first hour. I usually eat things like bananas, other fruit or bagels. One other thing I eat is homemade energy bars by Ellie on foodnetwork.com. I have read a number of articles that state that eating more than 200 cannot be digested by your body.

Two, drink 16 oz of water every hour for every hour you are going to continue exercise.

Three, replace your electrolites if planning on exercising more than 90 minutes. I do this by have tablets I put in one water bottle.

After my 6-8 hour rides, I have learned to continue drinking for a couple more hours, but I take at least two hours before eating. I crave too much food right away, and actually gain weight if I start eating right away. If I have eaten 200-250 calories during the ride, I don't need more food.