Makeover After Goal Achieved?

Options
Wookinpanub
Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
Any guys done any makeovers after you achieved your goal? Ladies have any comments on this.

I am getting closer to mine and have been thinking about

1) obviously new clothes as my pants are too big right now. I am 42 and kinda think some younger type clothing styles (Abercromby?) would make me feel young again but certainly don't want to look like that balding older guy going thru a mid life crisis.

2. Here's a big one - I go to the local Supercuts for the $14 cut. Is it worth going to an upscale salon to get ideas and a new style? How would I find one that works with older guys with thinning hair? I am thinking about coloring too to get rid of some of the gray.

3. Tattoo to celebrate my accomplishment?

4. Teeth whitening?

Replies

• SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a great idea! After I toned up, I've treated myself to some new clothes.

1) Younger looking clothes sound fine, you're not old at 42. As long as the Abercrombie jeans don't have huge rips in them, get them!
    2) Do you have a pic of your hair as of now? And depending on how gray your hair is, the salt and pepper look can look nice.
    3) If you want a tattoo, get one.
    4) If your teeth are yellow, whiten them.
  • Wookinpanub
    Options
    It's definitely a great idea! After I toned up, I've treated myself to some new clothes.

1) Younger looking clothes sound fine, you're not old at 42. As long as the Abercrombie jeans don't have huge rips in them, get them!
    2) Do you have a pic of your hair as of now? And depending on how gray your hair is, the salt and pepper look can look nice.

Thanks. My teeth aren't yellow but they aren't movie star white either. Not sure I'd get a tattoo - I am boring accountant but who knows.

Are you a hair stylist? I would love some ideas. I could send you a pic.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a boring accountant and I have 3 tattoos :) If you want one, go for it!!
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Clothes, wear what makes you look hott! it doesn't have to be exactly what the "kids" are wearing.. remember distinguished is sexy!!

hair... maybe you can spring for a salon cut to get something new... then just keep it close with supercuts, guys hair is way easier!

tattoo... don't be silly with that accountant stuff.. i do payroll and have gotten 3 in the past year... I LOVE THEM.. you can be clean cut with a fun rebel side if its what you wanted to do

The teeth.. I'm a fan but I'm just a sucker for an incredible smile!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Oh I misread the title, I thought it said make out after goal achieved. Well now I’m not as interested. I’ll probably cut my toe nails when I reach my next goal. :tongue:
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options

Thanks. My teeth aren't yellow but they aren't movie star white either. Not sure I'd get a tattoo - I am boring accountant but who knows.

If your teeth aren't yellow, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you would feel that whiter teeth would give you more confidence, it isn't exactly necessary. Tattoos are permanent, so I think it is a big decision. Anyone can have a tattoo, doesn't matter the job! If you are serious about a tattoo, you could get henna and see how you like having ink on your skin for a few months, then take the leap if you like it! :) I'm not a hair stylist, but I could give you some fresh perspectives. Feel free to send me a PM.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love the teeth whitener idea. I think whiter teeth make people look younger and healthier.
  • SarahMarieYates
    SarahMarieYates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Celebrate your success.

1.) Younger looking clothes...awesome idea! I wouldn't recommend stores like Abercrombie though...unless you're a teenager or a frat boy. I would stick with Gap, Banana Republic, Express Men...even Target has good stuff if you're on a budget. Just stay away from "dad" jeans, colored denim, ripped (excessively) jeans, logo tees and you should be good. From a woman's pov...my husband is around your age.
    2.) I don't think it's about how much you spend on your haircuts but I would maybe find a barber shop/hair cut place that can try something flattering and once you find what you like...keep going to that same person.
    3.) Tattoo? I think that's the mid-life crisis talking. Unless you already have a tattoo in which case...rock on!
    4.) Teeth whitening...couldn't hurt.
    5.) Maybe change things up with a new cologne...nothing better than a good looking man that smells good too.

Good luck!
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not one to discuss fashion. At 49 I still wear blue jeans and t-shirts. I can tie a tie if I have to, but generally try to avoid such events.
    2. I never cut my hair until it's long enough to donate to Locks of Love.
    3. I have tattoos. If it's your first, do your research and make sure you get something you'll like for a long time. Oh, and don't pick one of the more painful spots for a first.
    4. I've never done more that a regular cleaning at the dentist, but to each his own. If it makes you happy.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You should totally do what makes you feel good after you reach goal (or even while getting there...). Just a couple of suggestions from a woman your age though:

1. Clothes will be a necessity and while you don't want to look old or frumpy, you don't want to look like you're trying too hard either. Classics work best and never go out of style. A good pair of jeans in a classic fit go a long way! Stay away from anything too trendy.

2. Updating your hairstyle is a good idea but, in my opinion, men are much more sexy with their natural gray. A guy who dyes his hair can be spotted a mile away...especially a week or two after having it done when the hair starts to grow out. Take it from a woman who has been dyeing her hair for years!! Women are usually attracted to a guy who owns his look. So if you're balding and/or going gray, embrace it and work it!! Confidence is HOT!

3. If your teeth need whitening, go for it. Just be careful about going too white and getting that "glow in the dark" look.

4. Tattoos are totally a personal thing but, in my opinion, should be meaningful and well-planned. Don't get some random tat that you're going to hate in a month.

Just my thoughts but kudos to you for all your hard work and blessings for continued success! :flowerforyou:
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    New clothes, sure. Ambercrombe, not so much. Grown ups in tight skinny jeans look dumb to teens, who are wearing tight skinny jeans. Imagine what that looks like to the rest of the population.

New haircut, sure. Color? It depends. If you are super pale, and totally grey, and looking washed out, I'd say go for it. If you have any darker skin or hair, I'd say leave it be, because hair coloring is a high, high maintenance thing. Every couple weeks your hair will remind you its grey, with an oh so not attractive line of grey roots.

Tats? I'm totally against it. You are getting older and tats are a permanent choice for a temporary treat. That tat will look like it's melted in twenty years.

Teeth whitening? Yeah, just not movie star bright. They look kinda weird.

Congrats on the weight loss. If you are married, I'd suggest running these over with your spouse.
  • AmbWalk64
    AmbWalk64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I vote for all you mentioned and if you are a white man then a spray on tan that adds a slight golden glow, not leather brown.

Congrats on your hard work and getting close to goal!
  • Wookinpanub
    Options
    Do you think I could go to any salon around town or are there certain places that specialize in middle aged men?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You should totally do what makes you feel good after you reach goal (or even while getting there...). Just a couple of suggestions from a woman your age though:

1. Clothes will be a necessity and while you don't want to look old or frumpy, you don't want to look like you're trying too hard either. Classics work best and never go out of style. A good pair of jeans in a classic fit go a long way! Stay away from anything too trendy.

2. Updating your hairstyle is a good idea but, in my opinion, men are much more sexy with their natural gray. A guy who dyes his hair can be spotted a mile away...especially a week or two after having it done when the hair starts to grow out. Take it from a woman who has been dyeing her hair for years!! Women are usually attracted to a guy who owns his look. So if you're balding and/or going gray, embrace it and work it!! Confidence is HOT!

3. If your teeth need whitening, go for it. Just be careful about going too white and getting that "glow in the dark" look.

Just my thoughts but kudos to you for all your hard work and blessings for continued success! :flowerforyou:

I'm a 37 yr old woman and I agree with ALL of the above wholeheartedly. ESPECIALLY the part about owning that look if you are balding or greying. Men are lucky in that they can pull off grey much earlier (40's) than women generally can. And as others have said, your roots will begin to show really quickly if you have a typical short male haircut. Women (even w/ short hair like mine) have more styling flexibility to hide the greying roots when they begin to appear.

My husband's 33 and I'd say quite current - but even for his age, I think logo tees and/or blatantly trendy clothing from Abercrombie & Fitch would be hilariously bad and just too young. Basic, non-logo items from that type of store can be good, but there's really no need to buy them there since other stores offer the same things (and nicer quality in some cases) for less money. Maybe just branch out by trying a few new things. For example if you tend to wear old school khaki trousers with pleats, get some flat fronts and maybe in grey. Try some sportier shorts or shirts if that's appealing to you. This might sound stupid - but if you're really clueless on updating your style I'd recommend looking to actors in the late 20s to 40s range in your favorite TV shows (as long as it's not Game of Thrones or Big Bang Theory) and movies.

Good luck!!
  • Wookinpanub
    Options
    I vote for all you mentioned and if you are a white man then a spray on tan that adds a slight golden glow, not leather brown.

Congrats on your hard work and getting close to goal!

I tan very well (small part American Indian) in the summer time.
  • Wookinpanub
    Options
    I'm a 37 yr old woman and I agree with ALL of the above wholeheartedly. ESPECIALLY the part about owning that look if you are balding or greying. Men are lucky in that they can pull off grey much earlier (40's) than women generally can. And as others have said, your roots will begin to show really quickly if you have a typical short male haircut. Women (even w/ short hair like mine) have more styling flexibility to hide the greying roots when they begin to appear.

My husband's 33 and I'd say quite current - but even for his age, I think logo tees and/or blatantly trendy clothing from Abercrombie & Fitch would be hilariously bad and just too young. Basic, non-logo items from that type of store can be good, but there's really no need to buy them there since other stores offer the same things (and nicer quality in some cases) for less money. Maybe just branch out by trying a few new things. For example if you tend to wear old school khaki trousers with pleats, get some flat fronts and maybe in grey. Try some sportier shorts or shirts if that's appealing to you. This might sound stupid - but if you're really clueless on updating your style I'd recommend looking to actors in the late 20s to 40s range in your favorite TV shows (as long as it's not Game of Thrones or Big Bang Theory) and movies.

Good luck!!

Thanks good advice - I may look to see if there are any clothing style consultants in my area.
  • TheGirlWhoWaitedToRun
    TheGirlWhoWaitedToRun Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I am a boring bookkeeper and I have several tattoos! Obviously all in places that can be hidden if I want them to be, but don't let a boring job hold you back!
  • chrismonkey88
    Options
    I’ve nearly hit my goal, I’ve purposely not brought any new clothes until I’ve hit my target weight. So at the moment everything is baggy and shapeless but that new wardrobe is a strong motivator and can’t wait to get some nice new fitted clothing.

I may also treat myself to a small new tattoo.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Thanks good advice - I may look to see if there are any clothing style consultants in my area.

You're welcome! And that sounds like a good idea, especially if you need to update your professional wardrobe, too.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You've got some great ideas. One thing to consider, though, which may not even apply to you. Are your teeth at all sensitive? If so, whitening them will make it worse. I've gone to the dentist multiple times sure I've got a cavity somewhere but it's really just my teeth being sensitive. If that's a non-issue - go for it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!