Normal daily activities Question...

Options
Hello

I've been wondering about this daily activities thing for a few weeks now and if I've got it set right.

Basically I have it on Sedentary at the moment but purely because I don't really know how I should have it set to how active I am.

I work in an afternoon so generally until 12 I am sat around from when I get up at 8 or 9, But then in an afternoon I work in a warehouse as a picker and my I average about 17 to 19k steps a day when at work (FitBit says about 5 miles) and obviously I am lifting trays of beer and pop when picking orders and serving customers in branch.

Am I wrong to set my activity to Sedentary because I feel more active than when I originally signed up..

Thanks for any advice. :)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you should probably have it set to high activity as long as you are not logging any of that as exercise

a mile should be about 2,000 steps so something is not quite right there???
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you have Fitbit linked to MFP? If so - it should not really matter, because if your actual activity level is higher than what you indicated - you'll earn extra calories.

Look at it this way:
    scenario 1: you set to sedentary and MFP gives you 1800 calories. According to Fitbit you're active, and you show an extra 600 calories earned each day.

scenario 2: you set to active and MFP gives you 2400 calories. According to Fitbit, you burn what MFP expects so your adjustment is 0 or very small.

PS-you may want to check your stride in Fitibit. Its not GPS so it doesn't know how far you travel each step. If you are going 17k-19k steps per day that should be more than 5 miles.
    Same end result - though personally I do like to see at least SOME extra calories for activity from the Fitbit adjustment. :)
  • ChrisMayhew87
    ChrisMayhew87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you should probably have it set to high activity as long as you are not logging any of that as exercise

I should have probably mentioned that recently I linked my FitBit to MFP but to be honest I'm not sure on it's calorie adjustments because it gives me 1300+ extra calories a day..

I'm not sure on the millage thing, I setup the FitBit to my stride length.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Do you have Fitbit linked to MFP? If so - it should not really matter, because if your actual activity level is higher than what you indicated - you'll earn extra calories.

Smart lady! If you don't know how to sync them: go to the apps tab, find fitbit and click, it will promt you to log into fitbit and wala!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The adjustment makes PERFECT sense to me. You've fairly active, so you burn more calories by a good bit - compared to what MFP expects of you at sedentary.

Personally I'm set to lightly active - 1400 from MFP. I tend to hit 12k-13k steps per day and earn an extra 200-300.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I should have probably mentioned that recently I linked my FitBit to MFP but to be honest I'm not sure on it's calorie adjustments because it gives me 1300+ extra calories a day..

what is your MFP goal, thats alot of adjusting?

fitbit is supposed to not erase your deficit as long as you have your settings correct (you can set your deficit in fitbit in the foodplan tile), however, lately mine has been adjusting me up to maintenance everyday and i cant figure out why. Since I use the TDEE method I just set my calorie goal based off of my weekly average according to fitbit and erase the extra calories fitbit gives me in MFP daily. Maybe another fitbit user can chime in and know a better way?
  • ChrisMayhew87
    ChrisMayhew87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

I've just re-done my stride setup on my FitBit and from what I've just done I was way under on my stride length so we'll see tomorrow if it gives me a better millage.. haha

I'm probably going to try setting it at Lightly Active and see how I go with that, I don't think I am highly active but who knows! haha

what is your MFP goal, thats alot of adjusting?

fitbit is supposed to not erase your deficit as long as you have your settings correct (you can set your deficit in fitbit in the foodplan tile), however, lately mine has been adjusting me up to maintenance everyday and i cant figure out why. Since I use the TDEE method I just set my calorie goal based off of my weekly average according to fitbit and erase the extra calories fitbit gives me in MFP daily. Maybe another fitbit user can chime in and know a better way?

My goal is 1550 calories on MFP at the moment.