How to account for eating out

Options
Hello!

I'm going to dinner with a friend tonight, and while I've already picked out what looks like the healthiest option on the menu, I have NO idea how to accurately track it under my Nutrition for the day. Does anyone have any pointers for such situations? Thanks!

Anna

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I go for the healthiest options I can, eat with moderation and just enjoy it. I don't usually bother logging it.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If it is a chain i use their online nutrition calculator..if not, its probably inaccurate eyeballing and picking the middle of the road entry in terms of calories....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Find a similar dish or food in the database
    Overestimate the amount of calories
    Add additional Fat grams
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just track each individual item if there is no nutrition info on the restaurant's website or in MFP. We eat out 3-4 times a week and it has never been a problem.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There have already been great suggestions, but I would just like to add that I personally take half of my dish home if it's a large portion or if I'm splurging and ordering pasta or something.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If the place doesn't have an online nutrition calculator, I usually just find the closest match in the MFP database and call it a day.

And I'll either split the meal with my wife or bring half of it home. Most eat-out meals are roughly 2 "servings". Watch the side items -- they're often way worse, calorie-wise, than the entree (although you can often special-order healthier sides, like steamed veggies).

And don't drink your calories unless it's really worth it, taste-wise (IMHO, a pint of good microbrew is worth every freaking calorie).
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello!

I'm going to dinner with a friend tonight, and while I've already picked out what looks like the healthiest option on the menu, I have NO idea how to accurately track it under my Nutrition for the day. Does anyone have any pointers for such situations? Thanks!

Anna

Ask for their nutrition information when you get there :) I always do better to ask then guess
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I usually just find something close to it already on the site if i can't find their info anywhere. It's better to list something than nothing.