Am I working out too much?

I have been going on walks every other day, about 5 or 6 miles each time. I eat very healthy and am vegetarian. I also stay away from gluten (I have an intolerance) and also sugar.

I have been doing this for a week but I am GAINING INCHES

My legs are bulking and I was trying to do the opposite. I want to lose inches, not gain them.
It is just a matter of time, or should I walk less to prevent muscles from getting bigger?

I am getting very frustrated!

Replies

• I'm interested in this too as I am walking 4-5 miles a day 6 days a week myself and really don't want to bulk my legs up!
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    If your goal is to get thinner then it is going to happen in the kitchen.
    To develop you exercise.

As for if you are working out too much; that's more a factor of you, your health, your goals.

On a typical day I do cross training, strength training, and some form of pilates or cardio training for marathons.
    On days I overtrain I KNOW I'm overtraining. I'm fatigued for 3 days later and all my muscles are sore and having a tough time recover. That is how I know I overtrain.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Are you gaining weight too?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    First off, are you actually measuring your legs when you say you've gained inches? if not, do that first. If so....

How long have you been walking like this? If not that long, your legs are probably retaining water to repair the muscle that's not used to being worked. If you keep at it, you will get stronger and your muscles will stop holding so much water.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Nope, you're doing okay. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll surround yourself in winnins.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    If you do not want muscular legs, you need to be at your current exercise routine with a calorie deficit.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    First off, are you actually measuring your legs when you say you've gained inches? if not, do that first. If so....

How long have you been walking like this? If not that long, your legs are probably retaining water to repair the muscle that's not used to being worked. If you keep at it, you will get stronger and your muscles will stop holding so much water.

This.
  • flacroix897
    flacroix897 Posts: 1 Member
    My legs are bulking and I was trying to do the opposite. I want to lose inches, not gain them.

The only way to do that is to stop working out your legs. Even on a calorie deficit, the body won't use up the protein stores in your legs if it needs them, i.e.: if you work them out. It'll go and grab the energy from somewhere else in your body to strengthen the muscles you use, be it your fat stores or the protein and carbs stores in your upper body.

That's what the human body is the best at: adapting. If you use your legs a lot, your body will make sure they are strong by building muscles there.

Would you rather have skinny and weak legs, or fat legs? This doesn't make any sense to me anyway, but that's just me.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Keep walking, they are retaining water. Walking 5 or 6 miles 3 or 4 times a week could hardly be summed up as overtraining. The human body's most natural movement is walking. It's just not something you are used to.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    a whole week! lol try 6 months and then get back to us
  • Alittlebitmessy
    Alittlebitmessy Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all so much, I will keep with what I am doing and see if that makes a difference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    one does not bulk by doing light cardio.

eat at a calorie deficit- keep walking.

bulking is HARD work and comes with dedicated work and diet for months.