How do you count Grams?

Options
I have just been guessing at the amount of grams, per serving, per item. How do I do this more accurately, without having to buy some sort of top notch scale for food?
What are some of you low cal, low, carb, snack?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You don't need a "top notch" scale. The inexpensive digital scales from Walmart and similar places measure in both ounces and grams. They run about $20.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    28 grams = 1 ounce. You still need a food scale, though. General merchandise stores (Walmart, Target, etc.) sell them, at about $15-$25. Most (all?) will measure in both oz. and g. Best weight loss/health investment. Ever. (IMHO-YMMV).

ETA: Answering second part of your OP. I don't do "low carb", but like to keep it moderate (~150-175g carbs per day). I like yogurt (plain stuff is almost zero carb, add a little fruit or honey to sweeten, depending on your carb needs). My other "snack" foods are typically my carbs, so I'm no help, sorry. Except yogurt, yummy, yummy yogurt :love:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you want to count your grams accurately, you will have no choice but to buy a digital scale that counts in minimum of 5g increments.

Why specific low carb snackes?
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale at Walmart for like $20. You can't count grams without a scale.
  • rainymorning28
    Options
    Carbs are my biggest ones I use for meals. I'll look at Wal - Mart for a scale.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Use your fingers
    :laugh:
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Oops I replied to the wrong message:embarassed:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my biggest ones I use for meals. I'll look at Wal - Mart for a scale.

Huh? Biggest whats?

Anyway, low carb snacks - beef jerky, bacon, shrimp, steak, cheese, etc. Unless you have a medical condition, carb consumption is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i got a scale that measures grams and ounces, and you can convert back and forth, as well as tare, which is VERY useful. it's very accurate and cost under $20 on amazon.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale - I think mine was $14 on amazon and it measures grams, ounces, etc. and has a tare function. Different food have different gram counts per cup - don't get confused between weights and measures. Measure those foods that should be measured - weigh the ones that need weighing. (Get the weight/measure per serving from the packaging).

Low carb snacks - veggies, meat, some protein bars/shakes. Jerky is great - but watch the sodium!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    1, 2, 3, 4 , .............