Becoming more muscular

2»

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Front squats, deadlifts, and pull ups are my favorite ab exercises, Pushups are good too, but mainly work your hip flexors.

Rigger
    If you're working your hip flexors when you do push-ups, something is not right...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

If I were to guess, my caloric intake would be about 1500-2000 calories a day.

Stop guessing. You need to know for sure, because you'd be absolutely floored to learn how quickly those few extra unlogged calories add up to several hundred by the end of the day. Weigh everything. Log everything. It's the only way to know for SURE you are eating at a deficit.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Your abs will be achieved mainly by lowering body fat % and focusing on compound lifts. You can isolate if you get bored and are doing the first two.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member

Stop guessing. You need to know for sure, because you'd be absolutely floored to learn how quickly those few extra unlogged calories add up to several hundred by the end of the day. Weigh everything. Log everything. It's the only way to know for SURE you are eating at a deficit.

^I agree with this. If you really want to get serious about this you really need to know with as much certainty as you can how many calories you're taking in.
    July 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Your abs will be achieved mainly by lowering body fat % and focusing on compound lifts.

I put an emphasis on the "and" because good abs (especially on a female who has enough trouble gaining muscle) are not "just made in the kitchen". While that's very important so is strength training, not only from compound lifts, but also heavy isolated ab work.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Get on a good "tried and true" program and eat 200-300 calories above maintenance. You'll need to gain some weight which will be a mixture of both fat and muscle. It will probably take a good amount of time, say 6-12 months.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member

^I agree with this. If you really want to get serious about this you really need to know with as much certainty as you can how many calories you're taking in.
    July 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Your abs will be achieved mainly by lowering body fat % and focusing on compound lifts.

I put an emphasis on the "and" because good abs (especially on a female who has enough trouble gaining muscle) are not "just made in the kitchen". While that's very important so is strength training, not only from compound lifts, but also heavy isolated ab work.

^solid advice
  • Thanks everyone for your tips and advice! I've been trying to eat about 1800 calories a day and drinking protein shakes to meet my protein requirements. It might sound silly to folks who have been working out for a while, but I've learned that the main reason I have trouble gaining muscle is because of a lack of protein intake. For now, I've been focusing on primarily lifting and HIIT with very minimal steady state cardio.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    the big compound lifts have worked my midsection more than anything ive done that was isolated work.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 263 Member
    Been said a lot here and i dont wanna feel left out so i will say again. Treat your abs like every other muscle. Weight makes muscles bigger. Im working on this myself right now. I got leaner and leaner and as i did i noticed my abs were not the big bricks of muscle i wanted. A flat stomach is nice but i want 3d abs. So im doing weighted rope crunches as my main focus.