Weird Experiences at the Dentist Office?

Options
Army_Of_One
Army_Of_One Posts: 107 Member
This week I went for a routine cleaning and check-up. The cleaning went really well until the Hygienist said she was going to floss my teeth. I have permanent retainers in my upper and lower mouth so she has to use this plastic needle to guide the floss under the retainer and down to the gums. She did the upper teeth just fine with no problems nor discomfort. Then she started to floss my bottom teeth. She slid the needle through the front but under the retainer. Then she slide the needle through the top 'skin' of my tongue and did not realize it. She started pulling it back and sewed my tongue to my front teeth. I was crying out in pain and could only use repeated and frantic hand motions to ask her to back the needle up enough so I could say with a lisp "You sewed my tongue to my teeth". The needle was still in my tongue and threaded with floss. She said "OK, hold on . . . " and started to gingerly pull it out. That hurt worse and she finally just popped it out which was painful but better as it was just like pulling a bandage off quickly versus slowly. My tongue still hurts today, and I wince because it brings back painful flashbacks. But I was able to laugh about it with her.

Have you ever had any weird dentist experiences?

Replies

• Beautiful_disaster40
    Options
    I was squirming while I read this...ouch!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My weirdest dentist experience was years ago when getting treatment for a filling my breath smelt so bad for the drink I had the night before followed by the Spicy Chicken Pizza. That the dentist and assistant put on full surgical gear, shut the door to prevent the smell traveling through the surgery, switched on the humidifier and opened his window as wide as he could. It was the first and last time that I had ever laughed in a dentist whilst getting treatment.:noway:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to file a complaint with the dentist and the state, it sounds like that hygienist shouldn't be working. Oddist thing i've had happen is finding out i inherited curved teeth roots after he snapped one he was pulling and had to drill the roots out of my gum. That and the day my old dentist pulled a tooth out (i had one too many up front) and the thing had a 1/2" root on it. He let me keep that sucker as a trophy lol
  • Army_Of_One
    Options
    I just laughed it off. Sometimes *kitten* happens.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    PlumbNemisis, first I think I need to clarify to the group that we are RL friends (its a disclaimer to protect myself).

As I read this, I am on the floor totally laughing, cause that is the way I was when you first told me the story. You are a talker. You talk ALOT and laugh ALOT and are in no way subtle about it. That is why we are friends!. So with that being said, It is the first time in the last 4-5 years we have known each that you had been totally tongue tied HAHA!

I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about this!!!
  • Army_Of_One
    Options
    MR 1066AD - We are friends because you are hilarious & make me laugh until tears come streaming down my face! Really not that hard to do - just self-reflection from reading your statement. Plus we are friends because you are ALWAYS honest with me. Sometimes you sugar coat it a little so it goes down better so I do not get all butt-hurt (your phrase). But it is always something I need to hear. But you and 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' always brighten my day!
  • MindyM80
    MindyM80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i was a dental assistant for 8 years there are many, oh too many weird things that happen, and are said, in a dental chair, not just for the patients. :) never a dull moment.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have more angry experiences at the dentist rather than weird.

I had braces, and never had the same lady working on my mouth when I had to get them adjusted. I got a really inexperienced girl one day, and she was trying to get the wire into the last bracket. She ran it all the way through the bracket and speared my gum with it. I about shot through the roof. She pulled it back out, tried again, and speared me AGAIN. At that point I refused to let her try again and made her get someone else. The next time I went, I saw she had made a note in my file that I had been "moody" that day. :mad: I'll show you moody!

OMG I can't believe I forgot about a dentist I saw ONCE! He kept touching my shoulder in a non professional way, and making inappropriate jokes. I had to get a cavity filled, and he was holding that little ray gun thing in my mouth to dry it or whatever, and while it was in there he took my head and started shaking it back and forth. It made me panic because I couldn't get away. It was AWFUL!!!!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Dentist looked down my top every time I went and would sit near me for way too long, ugh. The time I wore a high necked sweater in the winter he spent like 2 minutes with me and moved on, I guess because there was nothing to see there!?

I saw his wife at a charity event and she has a HUGE & very clearly fake rack. Guess he's a breast man!

I changed dentists, but not for that reason...it was just mildly irritating.