Working out during Ramadan

Options
2»

Replies

• sofiachohdary
    Options
    If you carb loading properly post work out and eventually before Fajr you should still be able to pull in a decent work out before breaking the fast. You might want to take it easy and not push yourself as much as during non fasting months as your levels of dehydration are higher (and possibly you might be more tired that the usual due to timings).
    I live in a Muslim country and train with fasting bros' - most train just before Iftar and break the fast when leaving the gym with dates and water and aminos – eventually get home and eat.
    Option to train at night / before Fajr is there but depends a lot on timings / working hours and overall life pattern.

Thanks for the advice. Because of my small kids, the only time that is easy for me is 2-3 hours after Fajr. But I make sure I have a good protein-rich Sehri with buckets of water, and eat light and re-hydrate on Iftar.

My 1 hour and 35 minutes of combined cardio and strength training exercises have been reduced in Ramadan to at least 35 minutes of cycling, and if I am up to it, I do some push ups, weight lifting and other small strength training exerices.
    Why am I not surprised DailyMail would pull a stunt like that? The only stories they have, they either rip from other agencies, or create sensational headlines with no actual merit whatsoever. It's disgusting they would stoop that low for a story, though.

I hope that the remainder of your month goes well, and I hope that you do not get any more comments like this. Ramadan Mubarak, my fellow fitness pal.

Thank you so much. Yes, it's sad, the only thing we can do is pray for God to forgive them and enlighten them with the truth. I also pray we don't get any more of these comments, we are here to support each other in our health goals, not to criticize and insult.

Ramadan Mubarak to you too my friend. :)
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but wanted to offer encouragement. I really admire your faith and commitment :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    If you carb loading properly post work out and eventually before Fajr you should still be able to pull in a decent work out before breaking the fast. You might want to take it easy and not push yourself as much as during non fasting months as your levels of dehydration are higher (and possibly you might be more tired that the usual due to timings).
    I live in a Muslim country and train with fasting bros' - most train just before Iftar and break the fast when leaving the gym with dates and water and aminos – eventually get home and eat.
    Option to train at night / before Fajr is there but depends a lot on timings / working hours and overall life pattern.

Thanks for the advice. Because of my small kids, the only time that is easy for me is 2-3 hours after Fajr. But I make sure I have a good protein-rich Sehri with buckets of water, and eat light and re-hydrate on Iftar.

My 1 hour and 35 minutes of combined cardio and strength training exercises have been reduced in Ramadan to at least 35 minutes of cycling, and if I am up to it, I do some push ups, weight lifting and other small strength training exerices.
    If that is the only timing you have then go for it.
    Just watch out on your hydration / activity levels - where I live we get easily at the moment to more than 50*C hence the choice for a lot of fasting lifters to keep it close to 7.11 PM!!
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Just watch out on your hydration / activity levels - where I live we get easily at the moment to more than 50*C hence the choice for a lot of fasting lifters to keep it close to 7.11 PM!!

Thank you.

Yes, I get minimum 13 glasses of water a day (8 of them are at Sehri), my post-workout showers are COLD lol, and if I see I get dizzy or too much dehydrated, then I skip a few things. So far for many days I've been able to do at least 1 hour of cycling, and only 1-2 days I have been feeling down and made only 35 minutes. It's torture during fasting, but the results have been faster and amazing! Even my husband says that if I lose any more weight I'm gonna get deleted lol!

But anyways, that's not why we are fasting, we are fasting to understand how poor feel like and make us humble and charitable, that's why I'm not giving up on my workout. Pain is good. ;)
    I don't have any advice, but wanted to offer encouragement. I really admire your faith and commitment :)

Oh thanks! That's so cool of you! :)
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was doing Jillian michaels ripped in 30 before ramadhan and completed the 30 days. I am currently walking 15 minutes fast pace twice a day now in the garden but I am getting bored of doing that.

I was thinking to myself yesterday that I might do 30 day shred (I've done this workout before) before aftaar as people have suggested , just the modified version not too intense.

My question is when people say before aftaar how soon before aftaar?
    Our fast times are 2.15am-9.38pm, the last hour before aftaar I am prepping food for the family so if I could work out the best time for me to fit it in is 6pm, just before assr. This was I have time for a shower too. I still would have 2 hours till aftaar, would that be ok do you think?

I can't do suhoor workout, I have a very active toddler and when she sleeps I do to.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Yes me too. My Colleague is fasting for Ramadan at the moment and I really take my hat off. I have so much respect for you all.

Best wishes
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    I was doing Jillian michaels ripped in 30 before ramadhan and completed the 30 days. I am currently walking 15 minutes fast pace twice a day now in the garden but I am getting bored of doing that.

I was thinking to myself yesterday that I might do 30 day shred (I've done this workout before) before aftaar as people have suggested , just the modified version not too intense.

My question is when people say before aftaar how soon before aftaar?
    Our fast times are 2.15am-9.38pm, the last hour before aftaar I am prepping food for the family so if I could work out the best time for me to fit it in is 6pm, just before assr. This was I have time for a shower too. I still would have 2 hours till aftaar, would that be ok do you think?

I can't do suhoor workout, I have a very active toddler and when she sleeps I do to.

If I can do 60 minutes of vigorous cycling and some strength training after Fajr, and wait for sooooo many hours just to get some water, then I'm sure you can handle 2 hours. My kids are very active also and my little one is still teething, so I am like a soother and a mess cleaner/destruction eraser etc lol all day (and night) long.

Try it once and see how it goes, if you see you're getting weak or dizzy stop, you don't need to do the whole thing. I know how rough Jillian is! :D
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Yes me too. My Colleague is fasting for Ramadan at the moment and I really take my hat off. I have so much respect for you all.

Best wishes

Thank you so much! :)
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Salam alaikom Brothers and Sisiters,

well it's really good to find such a topic here :-)
    Thank you.
    I was thinking all time how to workout during ramadan too. it's not that easy, especially when you know you have a daily schedule to follow such as work or school or University. besides when you think about Iftar is here (Germany) at 21:41 and Suhur is 3:18. There's no long time left to workout, even i liked the idea with workingout post or Pre- Suhur but i find it hard to do it.
    I decided to put all Cardio workouts during Ramadan away and only focus on Weight lifting. I always wanted to try StrongLifts 5x5 so i think i will give it a try.
    To get to know my limits better, i visited a class of Les Mills bodycombat (one of my favorite Classes) and it was really hard. I stayed untill the end of the class but i really noticed that i'm missing the waterbreaks.

May Allah accept our Deeds in Ramadan and give us the Strength to achieve it in a good way.

Nohmen
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Salam alaikom Brothers and Sisiters,

well it's really good to find such a topic here :-)
    Thank you.
    I was thinking all time how to workout during ramadan too. it's not that easy, especially when you know you have a daily schedule to follow such as work or school or University. besides when you think about Iftar is here (Germany) at 21:41 and Suhur is 3:18. There's no long time left to workout, even i liked the idea with workingout post or Pre- Suhur but i find it hard to do it.
    I decided to put all Cardio workouts during Ramadan away and only focus on Weight lifting. I always wanted to try StrongLifts 5x5 so i think i will give it a try.
    To get to know my limits better, i visited a class of Les Mills bodycombat (one of my favorite Classes) and it was really hard. I stayed untill the end of the class but i really noticed that i'm missing the waterbreaks.

May Allah accept our Deeds in Ramadan and give us the Strength to achieve it in a good way.

Nohmen

Ameen.

Do whatever suits you best, each person's circumstances are different I guess.

I found strength training to be more exhausting for me than cardio, so I'm sticking to the cardio and go back to vigorous strength training when Ramadan is over. (although a few push ups here and there are permissible from time to time).

Do it at whatever time suits you, I thought I was gonna have a real hard time doing my workouts in the morning after Fajr, while starving myself all day long, but as hard as it is, so far I'm surviving it Alhamdulillah. Try it out for a day according to your schedule, and change it accordingly.

What helps me is a very good Sehri meal high in protein and 8 glasses of water. I know it sounds a lot just for Sehri but the way I do it, I prepare my meal from the night (in my case it's apple, kiwis, tuna sandwich) so as soon as I wake up, I drink 4 glasses of water, then eat slowly (I wake up at least 45 minutes before Fajr), and then slowly again 3-4 more glasses.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Yes, I get minimum 13 glasses of water a day (8 of them are at Sehri), my post-workout showers are COLD lol, and if I see I get dizzy or too much dehydrated, then I skip a few things. So far for many days I've been able to do at least 1 hour of cycling, and only 1-2 days I have been feeling down and made only 35 minutes. It's torture during fasting, but the results have been faster and amazing! Even my husband says that if I lose any more weight I'm gonna get deleted lol!

But anyways, that's not why we are fasting, we are fasting to understand how poor feel like and make us humble and charitable, that's why I'm not giving up on my workout. Pain is good. ;)

Same principle as intermittent fasting with the exception of the drinking / aminos during the fasting window.
    It is all a matter of getting used to it and eventually it will become a routine, your body and mind need to get used to it!
  • sofiachohdary
    Options

Same principle as intermittent fasting with the exception of the drinking / aminos during the fasting window.
    It is all a matter of getting used to it and eventually it will become a routine, your body and mind need to get used to it!

Yes, you are absolutely right.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    And me, saluting you too, ignore the person who said 'scary'! Most people (Muslims, atheists, whatever) live life in moderation and with love and respect for all, whatever creed you subscribe to.

FYI I'm Jewish though not observant, love that you guys have such great community spirit and tips - even a Yom Kippur fast was always hard for me so I salute you for your efforts and wish you all the best :)
  • lna_1981
    lna_1981 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I would simply ignore the person that said scary, they're obviously just trying to cause issues. We all have our own beliefs, what matters is living peacefully and respectfully.

Good luck to you in your time of fasting, hope you can manage a good balance for a workout ^_^
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    And me, saluting you too, ignore the person who said 'scary'! Most people (Muslims, atheists, whatever) live life in moderation and with love and respect for all, whatever creed you subscribe to.

FYI I'm Jewish though not observant, love that you guys have such great community spirit and tips - even a Yom Kippur fast was always hard for me so I salute you for your efforts and wish you all the best :)
    I would simply ignore the person that said scary, they're obviously just trying to cause issues. We all have our own beliefs, what matters is living peacefully and respectfully.

Good luck to you in your time of fasting, hope you can manage a good balance for a workout ^_^

Thanks to both of you. :) I just love the MyFitnessPal community. I think it's one of the best on whole Internet. You guys are great! ;)
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options

Agreed...I'm an atheist, but I figure whatever it is that gets you through the night is absolutely fine by me...It sounds like you are holding up well and have such a bright and positive outlook on your fast. I admire positive people of all walks... :)
  • sofiachohdary
    Options

Agreed...I'm an atheist, but I figure whatever it is that gets you through the night is absolutely fine by me...It sounds like you are holding up well and have such a bright and positive outlook on your fast. I admire positive people of all walks... :)

Thank you. Absolutely! We may have our different ways, but we have the same goals: To live this short life the best way we can! Love you all!