Calculating a Goal Weight Based off Lean Body Mass Weight

Options
Hey, how are you guys doing?

I need help, advice or just verification on whether my goal weight is a healthy goal weight. I currently weigh 325 lbs. I have a digital scale that also measures body fat % so I also know that I have a body fat percentage of 38%. Based on these numbers I have calculated that I have an average lean body mass weight of about 200 lbs. (* I posted a link below where you can easily calculate your own LBM if you also know your body fat %.)

I decided I would set a goal body fat percentage of 17%. Using my lean body mass weight and my target body fat percentage I then calculated that my ideal weight to be at 17% body fat would be 240 lbs. (** I posted another link down below where you can choose a desired body fat percentage and calculate an ideal body weight if you have already calculated your LBM weight.)

Well my question is, at 6'1" does 240 lbs sound healthy? I'm not sure, but sounds still too heavy of a weight for a 6 foot 1 male, but I'm not to sure! Any insight, advice, etc? Thanks in advance.

* http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm
** http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Bf% scales are very inaccurate, so I would throw that bit of data out (I have one and am a data junky and I ignore it)

My husband is lean and 6'-6'1" I think 6'1" but his measurements come back both ways, he weighs 179lb. When he is his best he weighs 172lbs. My brother in law at 6' when he was large built, but also had a gut weighed 210lb.

I think maybe you should have smaller goals...like under 300lb, then 250lb, at 220lb reevaluate yourself. If you are lifting and eating enough protein it will help you retain your muscle mass. At the lower weight maybe have your bf% tested and go from there. Until you are at the lower range it will be hard to figure how your build is and how you want it to be.

Congrats on starting your journey!!!

Here is some basic info....

*Log EVERYTHING

*Weigh Solids

*Measure liquids

*Exercise for fitness
    (weight lifting is my recommendation)

*Be Honest with Yourself

*Measure yourself, take silly pictures and then enjoy your progress.

And............

*****MOST IMPORTANTLY******

READ THIS

======================================================================================================
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    ======================================================================================================

THEN READ IT AGAIN........ :drinker:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Even if we assume that your BF% number is correct (a big if), at your weight, your lean mass will likely change quite a bit as you lose weight and your body reshapes itself.

At 325 lbs, you need a lot of lean mass to support that weight--mass that you won't need as your body becomes smaller (remember, lean mass is more than just muscle).

Bottom line: your "target weight" will be a moving target as your body changes with weight loss. For now it is best to set interim goals and worry about the final number when you are closer to the finish line.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just to add in to other responses. I have kept track of LBM and Fat Loss while looking my weight and have lost about 25% LBM per 1lbs Fat so for every 4lbs I have lost 1lb was LBM. I know everyone is different but you will not keep all your LBM as you lose the weight.

Also those scales are wayyy off at times. Mine was about 10% to high when I started. I agree with the others about setting smaller goals and once you get under 250 then reevaluate where you are at and what you think you should aim to be at for your final goal.
  • czodiac
    czodiac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Would you say that scales overestimate or underestimate bf%? I know it is not 100% accurate and that numbers can be skewed by hydration and other things, but I thought it was a close number. I do believe I'm in the higher 30s of body fat. And I am very muscular so I thought a LBM of 200 was closely correct.

And yes I do go about my weight loss with small goals. My next goal is to get under 300, then next goal is to get to 280. But having an ideal weight in mind just gives me some kind of comfort.

And thank you! I actually started my journey in Dec 2013 and have lost 55 lbs now!
  • czodiac
    Options
    Bf% scales are very inaccurate, so I would throw that bit of data out (I have one and am a data junky and I ignore it)

My husband is lean and 6'-6'1" I think 6'1" but his measurements come back both ways, he weighs 179lb. When he is his best he weighs 172lbs. My brother in law at 6' when he was large built, but also had a gut weighed 210lb.

I think maybe you should have smaller goals...like under 300lb, then 250lb, at 220lb reevaluate yourself. If you are lifting and eating enough protein it will help you retain your muscle mass. At the lower weight maybe have your bf% tested and go from there. Until you are at the lower range it will be hard to figure how your build is and how you want it to be.

Congrats on starting your journey!!!

Here is some basic info....

*Log EVERYTHING

*Weigh Solids

*Measure liquids

*Exercise for fitness
    (weight lifting is my recommendation)

*Be Honest with Yourself

*Measure yourself, take silly pictures and then enjoy your progress.

And............

*****MOST IMPORTANTLY******

READ THIS

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

THEN READ IT AGAIN........ :drinker:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Would you say that scales overestimate or underestimate bf%? I know it is not 100% accurate and that numbers can be skewed by hydration and other things, but I thought it was a close number. I do believe I'm in the higher 30s of body fat. And I am very muscular so I thought a LBM of 200 was closely correct.

And yes I do go about my weight loss with small goals. My next goal is to get under 300, then next goal is to get to 280. But having an ideal weight in mind just gives me some kind of comfort.

And thank you! I actually started my journey in Dec 2013 and have lost 55 lbs now!
  • czodiac
    Options
    Even if we assume that your BF% number is correct (a big if), at your weight, your lean mass will likely change quite a bit as you lose weight and your body reshapes itself.

At 325 lbs, you need a lot of lean mass to support that weight--mass that you won't need as your body becomes smaller (remember, lean mass is more than just muscle).

Bottom line: your "target weight" will be a moving target as your body changes with weight loss. For now it is best to set interim goals and worry about the final number when you are closer to the finish line.

See, that's something I did not know! I didn't know lean body mass changes as you lose weight. That changes everything. Thanks for the insight and the advice. I guess I really shouldn't focus on a final number yet. :/
  • czodiac
    Options
    Just to add in to other responses. I have kept track of LBM and Fat Loss while looking my weight and have lost about 25% LBM per 1lbs Fat so for every 4lbs I have lost 1lb was LBM. I know everyone is different but you will not keep all your LBM as you lose the weight.

Also those scales are wayyy off at times. Mine was about 10% to high when I started. I agree with the others about setting smaller goals and once you get under 250 then reevaluate where you are at and what you think you should aim to be at for your final goal.

How did you keep track of your LBM?? I would like to do the same, but I guess I'm not doing things right.
    Is there another better way that I can keep track of my bf%? Maybe a caliper?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'9" and my ultimate goal weight (after adding muscle once I can get on a caloric surplus again) is 240 pounds. Fwiw. I like long term goals as well as short term ones.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Most people on this site don't like the BF% scales. They are most accurate when used consistently, esp first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.

I had my BF% confirmed at my local university. It correlated within 1-2% of my scale @ the time. My plan is to continue to monitor it using the scale, about once every 2 weeks, and then get it rechecked at the university after 6 mos.

Like you, I had a high amount of lean body mass for my weight - 121lbs out of 200 at the time it was checked. That would put me at 160 pounds with a BF of 25% (I am female), if keeping my LBM the same. The doctor I consulted with, however, said that it is nearly impossible to maintain your entire lean body mass while in a calorie deficit, even with high protein diets and steroids. He didn't give me a percentage, but what one of the above posters said of 20-25% of weight lost being lean body mass sounds about right.

You can maximize your LBM retention by lifting (heavy) and getting plenty of protein while in a calorie deficit. It is MUCH easier to maintain muscle than rebuild it once it is lost.

I think you have your head in the right place. Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight for you is anything under 185 lbs.
    You sound like you've been working hard to reach your goals.
    Keep up the good work!
    :bigsmile:
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is 2 years older, about 1' taller (5'9" to 5'10"), and weighs about 5lbs less then me. So, he is taller and lighter, so obviously he is thinner, right?
    I have less body fat (a little under 20%), and more muscle. He still has a round belly (around 25%).
    Obviously I weigh more because of the muscle, right?
    This is Kane Sumabat. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2008/insanekane3a.jpg
    He weighs 15lbs less than me, and is an inch taller. He has an insane amount of muscle, and very little bodyfat, but just losing 15lbs of fat is not going to get me to look like him. I'd need to lose like 35lbs of fat, and gain 20lbs of muscle, and still would not look like that.

You can not figure out what looks right on a person just off hearing what they weigh.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures to help you figure out your body fat level: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

As to the electric scales...I've had mine give me reading that are different by 5% less then 5 minutes apart.