Foods that are low in calorie but yet fulfilling ?

Options
Hi everyone, what are some of your favorite low calories food to munch on?

Replies

• lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    a cup of low-fat cottage cheese mixed with some scallions, salt and pepper or seasoning according to taste or carrot/zucchini sticks with some low-fat cream cheese. The cream cheese/cottage cheese I buy has around 65 calories per 100 gr so you could eat almost the entire pack and still be around 100 calories total
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A 1-ounce bag of plain potato chips. I am a fat-craver and require oil to satisfy me. The 1-oz. bag is automatic portion-control @ 150 calories. The oil makes it way more filling than 150 calories' worth of nonfat food!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I find that food with mainly healthy fats and fibre satisfy me for a long time.

Here's what I've found works:
    Smoked salmon and fresh salmon
    Greek yogurt with no fat (add in small things like fruit and vanilla extract to make it taste nice!)
    Philadelphia light (great with smoked salmon and crackers etc)
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, celery, cucumbers, tomatos, oh and apple slices especially with a sprinkle of cinnamon, yum!
  • meganregan94
    Options
    Bachalors pasta n sauce! Each pack contains 2 servings, so lunch/dinner dinner/supper . so tasty and a full packet is around the 500kcal mark. each serving 250kcal.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Here is a neat picture gallery you might get some ideas from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy/photos/foods-with-100-calories.html

Also try researching "volumetrics" it is the theory that you eat low calorie, yet dense foods to fill up. Some examples of foods that fit into that are greens, celery, cucumbers, etc.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks I bring to work is two whole carrots. They are so crunch it takes me a while to eat and is quite satisfying. Also FYI baby carrots are usually dipped in chlorine to keep from rotting, plus real, whole carrots are way cheaper. About $2.50 for a 5 pound bag of organic whole carrots, compared to $2.50 for a 1-lb bag of baby carrots that are covered in chemicals.

I also like cucumber and other veggies sliced and dipped in hummus.

When berries are in season, I make a nice salad with 2-3 cups of greens, a handful of strawberries and blueberries, then serve with a simple EVOO and balsamic vinegar dressing. Very yummy and quite filling for less than 200 calories.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love this thread idea.

I've found celery sticks to be a big help, filling and super low in calories at 12 calories for 2 7" to 8" sticks.

Carrots are excellent too.

Surprisingly cantaloupe and watermelon are pretty low in calories. I'm a big guy with a large appetite and I was craving that full feeling last night. I ate a half of a cantaloupe and it only cost me 150 calories or so. I felt like I splurged but I was still 700 calories under my goal for the day.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Grilled prawns and scallops.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! But be careful, they pack a lot of sugar and carbs (although it's natural and healthy, so you shoudn't be too worried about it unless you're on a low carb diet.)
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fruit!!! I love snacking on fruit, just be careful not overdue it with all the natural sugars. Also carrots and celery with a little peanut butter. Another thing my boyfriend and i love to snack on at night is tuna and some lowfat crackers.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    All fruits. All veggies ;)
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky!! My favorite it the Perky Turkey Jerky (it's caffinated!) I think it's like 1oz for 50 calories. I'm not sure but the bag I buy is 100 calories and it is full of protein so I stay full for a while!
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the morning star veggie patties and greek yogurt.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    When I want to fill up I end up going for high-protein with something on the side, usually cottage cheese+grilled chicken+ herb potatoes is my go-to when I'm really starving because I love all of those foods. Bacon and eggs is good too, whether it's hard boiled or skillet-cooked. Add a spinach salad on the side for some contrast in flavor. Hearty stuff fills me up, and it's really not that bad calorie-wise with a little planning for the day included.