Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Finally a study that makes sense.

alimac92
alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
Finally a study that makes sense. :wink:

Brains of the elderly slow because they know so much......

The brains of older people only appear to be less speedy, because they have so much information to access, much like a full-up hard drive, scientists believe.

Older people do not decline mentally with age. It just takes them longer to recall facts, because they have more information in their brains, research suggests.
Much like a computer takes longer as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been reported.

Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.
The human brain appears to work slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because so much information has been stored over time. Older people simply know more, so selecting a correct choice from the trove of stored data may take a bit longer.
So there!!!!!! :tongue:

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    Exactly!!!! Yes, this makes perfect sense ????????????
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Luckily, I use a beer brain scrubber to securely erase the unused parts of my brain that have only fragments of info. Then I defrag the rest with my dense-water-fragment-and-bourbon-processor.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    So as a useless info junkie, my brain already looks like a hoarder's basement.

I'm doomed.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    It would be interesting to see some of the research on fluid intelligence in relationship to the aging brain. But yeah, I personally have never been convinced of the idea that the brain declines in performance just because of age. Brain plasticity lasts throughout life - if it didn't, humans would have been in big trouble long ago as a species.

Not that we aren't now... but at least we lasted a little longer.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Links to Study?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I always said my brain was like a bookshelf with no bookends. You put a new book on one end, the one on the other end falls off. I have limited RAM.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Couldn't agree more, now if I could just remember where I put my slippers, glasses and the cat.