heart rate monitor question

Options
So I've been wearing my HRM since 9:15 this morning. I didn't get to go to the gym today... church and family day, then celebrating mother's day with family and all so I just set my timer and walked up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. ANyway, I have burned around 1500 calories since 9:15 this morning. It's now 10:00 pm and I was wanting to know if I should I eat 250-500 calories less than this number or the total I read at 9:15 tomorrow morning. Is it a 24 hour reading that I'm looking for or just my waking hour reading? thanks for helping me clear this one up. If it doesn't count the time I'm sleeping then MFP is telling me to eat a lot more than i should, which I don't believe is true. But maybe there's something wrong with me!!:indifferent:

Replies

• hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So I've been wearing my HRM since 9:15 this morning. I didn't get to go to the gym today... church and family day, then celebrating mother's day with family and all so I just set my timer and walked up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. ANyway, I have burned around 1500 calories since 9:15 this morning. It's now 10:00 pm and I was wanting to know if I should I eat 250-500 calories less than this number or the total I read at 9:15 tomorrow morning. Is it a 24 hour reading that I'm looking for or just my waking hour reading? thanks for helping me clear this one up. If it doesn't count the time I'm sleeping then MFP is telling me to eat a lot more than i should, which I don't believe is true. But maybe there's something wrong with me!!:indifferent:
  • ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    Options
    Its hard to say but I do know that our body's burn a lot of calories sleeping. More than just sitting down awake I think! So I would say that figuring out your calorie deficit should be based on sleeping and non sleeping calories. Maybe you could go to a website and find out how many calories you burn sleeping and add that to todays calories burned. That might help...
  • ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    Options
    So I just looked online and it says that a 160lb person will burn about 500-600 calories in 8 hours of sleep. And you do burn more awake sitting down, I was wrong! Good luck.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thanks. i'm going to keep digging! I'm not sure about how to use this effectively.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to wear it for an entire 24 hour period on a non-exercise day. At least as far as "calories per day", we're on a 24 hour clock here at MFP. You burn calories at a slightly reduced rate while sleeping, so the only way to know for sure is to wear the thing for an entire, 24 hour, "typical" day. Even then, you're getting a "typical day", and not an RMR/BMR reading. For that, you'd have to stay in bed for 24 hours.
    :flowerforyou: