What do you all do about going on holiday??

Options
Hi there! I am just coming towards the end of my first week on this. I had a stone to lose in total, and this week I have lost 4 pounds, so 10 pounds to go. I'm 5ft6, active and sporty, I just like chocolate a bit too much!!!

My question is, what do you all do when you go on holiday? I am going on holiday tomorrow for 5 days and I am not sure how strict to be. I have been eating 1200 cals a day and eating back all of my exercise calories. In one way, I feel like I am on holiday and I should just enjoy myself while I am away, and get straight back on it when I am back. But on the other hand, I am slightly concerned that because I have only been doing it for a week, any progress I may have made will go down the pan.

What do you all do?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have the MFP app on my phone, so I log when I'm out of town. It's hard to get exercise because you're out of your routine, but if I know there's wifi, I bring my computer and do stuff from online. Think there's no reason I can't enjoy myself and stay conected to my higher plan. Maybe recalculate intake for mainenance level for the week to give yourself some leeway.
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    Thanks :) I have the app on my phone too so the logging part isn't the problem, more how strict to be!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could earn calories beforehand by exercising or eat at your calorie maintenance level so you won't gain.
    More importantly, it is a time to relax and have fun so do it.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nothing... I go on vacation and enjoy it...
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Try to make good choices, but treat yourself. You can get right back on track when you get home.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I am away, I more or less stick to my eating plan. I may have a few treats here and there, but I always try to offset those calories with a work-out. You will find that others give themselves total freedom to eat whatever. It really is a ersonal choice. HAve fun.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get some exercise everyday --walking is good.
    Try to get some low calorie choices that fit into your plan.
    Have a good time.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas for a week when I was about a month into starting. Being early in my start, it could have been a good excuse to go off the rails, so I wanted to stay mostly on track. I just made a point of making the best choices I could in restaurants. It's not easy when eating out, but I tried to eat smaller portions, trade in the fries for salad with dressing on the side, etc. I allowed myself one nice no counting meal and had to allow myself to indulge in Bailey's coffee in the mornings. Fortunately, there's a lot of walking in Vegas, so it helps burn off some of the calories. I managed to come home with a 1lb loss that week.

That said, you've only got 10 lbs to lose, so setting yourself back for 5 days won't be too big of a deal. Go enjoy your holiday and make sure you get back on the horse when you return. Don't be too strict on yourself, but make good choices where you can.
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    Go enjoy your holiday and make sure you get back on the horse when you return. Don't be too strict on yourself, but make good choices where you can.

Cbhubbybubble - Ironic you should say that, seeing as I do own a horse and riding is my main form of exercise, ha!

Thanks everyone, it is great to hear what other people do. I think I will try to make sensible choices, but will treat myself a bit seeing as it is so rare for me to go away.
  • woolfman72
    woolfman72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will be going on vacation for a week. I plan on making better choices but still enjoying myself. I have already planned a trip to cold stone creamery for a nice big ole scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. But we are going to spend 4 days walking around theme parks. So atleast i will get a little exercise in.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think going to maintenance is a fantastic plan. You can enjoy yourself a bit more without undoing your hard work.

Also, my general eating plan is pretty simple. I actively seek out foods that are good for me, that I enjoy, and when I want something that's not as healthy, I just eat a little bit less of it than I used to. I try to stick to that basic plan, even on holidays and vacations.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Then definitely get back on the horse...literally and figuratively:laugh: