That has how many calories???

Options

Replies

• doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Happens all the freaking time...

One time that got me was in the beginning of Spring, we had a BBQ. My boyfriend went and got Bubba Burgers. I thought "oh, a frozen little 5oz patty that shrinks when it is grilled.... can't be more than 300 cals... right?" 420, without cheese, a bun, or ANYTHING. I was mortified... I had eaten two and a hot dog that day. Needless to say, the remaining burgers are in the freezer for the next BBQ and I will not be partaking in the consumption of them!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When I try to eat out within reason, I end up hungry.
    I just limit the frequency because there's just no way around it for me.

One time I went to Hillstone's and ordered a fish fillet with some side veggies. The portion was probably 6-7oz, and when I put that type of fish into point plus it came out as 22 points! Nearly a whole day's worth! Worst part, I was still very hungry after.
    And this doesn't even include hidden calories, folks!

Anyhoo, did learn that all fish are not created equal!
  • Ragu35
    Ragu35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always knew that McDonalds was unhealthy, but I realized that even the tiny $1 sandwiches are still terrible for you.

I used the get something called a McGangbang, which is a dollar menu Double Cheeseburger with a $1 McChicken inside of it.

I looked it up a few weeks ago and it clocks in at 800 calories. Ridiculous. And that doesn't even count if you get a SMALL fry, which is over 200 calories as well. So $3 buys you over 1000 calories at McDonalds.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I first started using MFP, I went to Chick Fil A and got my typical 8 nuggets w/medium waffles fries. The fries on their own came in at 400 calories. Yikes! Now I substitute a side salad as I realized it love the nuggets more than the fries. Every once in a blue moon I will splurge on the fries, but it is very rare.

I've noticed that I never guess right when eating out, so I always try to look at the menu beforehand these days.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Don't go to Logan's Roadhouse. I emailed them for nutritional information. They responded back saying they didnt have nutritional information to give me! Horrible service.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I ate out a few with ago at Chili's. I looked at the "low calorie" section of their menu. I was shocked that most of the meals were around 600 calories. Salmon or tilapia with veggies and rice. I can make that at home for under 400 calories.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cheeseecake Factory Chicken Club. I found out too late that it was voted one of the top ten "Unhealthiest Healthy-Sounding Foods" on some website.

The innocent chicken club with no bacon or avocado has over 1000 calories and like, 60 grams of fat. Oh, and that doesn't include the fries. I ordered this asking them to hold the sauce. The sandwich arrived and the bread was FRIED. Yes, they made "toast" by frying it in oil. So the next time I went, I had half and told them not to fry the bread! At that point, I was so disgusted I never went back to the Cheesecake Factory again and I can make a pretty darn good sandwich at home.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Cheeseecake Factory Chicken Club. I found out too late that it was voted one of the top ten "Unhealthiest Healthy-Sounding Foods" on some website.

The innocent chicken club with no bacon or avocado has over 1000 calories and like, 60 grams of fat. Oh, and that doesn't include the fries. I ordered this asking them to hold the sauce. The sandwich arrived and the bread was FRIED. Yes, they made "toast" by frying it in oil. So the next time I went, I had half and told them not to fry the bread! At that point, I was so disgusted I never went back to the Cheesecake Factory again and I can make a pretty darn good sandwich at home.

Cheeseecake Factory in general is pretty ridiculous with their serving sizes and calorie amounts. This is comfort food to the ultimate level.

Good news, the skinny menu is actually pretty good there. My favorites now are the white chicken chilli and the skinny burger or vegigie burger.
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    When I first started using MFP, I went to Chick Fil A and got my typical 8 nuggets w/medium waffles fries. The fries on their own came in at 400 calories. Yikes! Now I substitute a side salad as I realized it love the nuggets more than the fries. Every once in a blue moon I will splurge on the fries, but it is very rare.

I've noticed that I never guess right when eating out, so I always try to look at the menu beforehand these days.

Yes! I about fell over when I found out that one little ranch dipping sauce for those nuggest was 110 calories!
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I am so thoroughly disgusted with chain restaurants because the food is so unhealthy and not even that good. If I were skinny and ate out only twice a year, I STILL wouldn't eat at Chili's, TGIF, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Applebee's or Red Lobster. The crap they pawn off as healthy is loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat. The food isn't even that good! I mean really, I'm sitting here 50 lbs overweight and I can say with conviction that the food is too salty and oily to be palatable. It's just too damn much of a "good" thing. Not to mention the employees are often underpaid wage slaves with poor food handling hygiene because could they really give a s#!t? Does their boss give enough of a s&#t to train them? If they can't even wipe down tables between customers, what on EARTH are they doing in the kitchen?

Also, "cooking" to them is throwing frozen food that has traversed hundreds of miles from the mass slaughter house to the flash freezer to the deep fryer. I'm no vegetarian but I get disgusted when I think about the mass production of that food. But yeah, let's fry it for good measure, take highly saturated photos of it and call it something creative to sell as much as possible.
  • ZarrX86
    ZarrX86 Posts: 38
    Options
    I always knew that McDonalds was unhealthy, but I realized that even the tiny $1 sandwiches are still terrible for you.

I used the get something called a McGangbang, which is a dollar menu Double Cheeseburger with a $1 McChicken inside of it.

I looked it up a few weeks ago and it clocks in at 800 calories. Ridiculous. And that doesn't even count if you get a SMALL fry, which is over 200 calories as well. So $3 buys you over 1000 calories at McDonalds.

Yea but to be honest, you bought two sandwiches and combined them as one, of course its going to be double the calories.

I get a mcdouble(390) and fruit and yogurt parfait(150) = 540cals = $2

Not the best but filling and not an insane amount of calories..... but its so hard to get the yogurt over the fries
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory avocado spring rolls are so good though... :laugh:
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    chicken wings !!!

1140 calories for 10 wings without sauce >>?!

I said goodbye to Thursday night half price wings....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,947 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I am so thoroughly disgusted with chain restaurants because the food is so unhealthy and not even that good. If I were skinny and ate out only twice a year, I STILL wouldn't eat at Chili's, TGIF, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Applebee's or Red Lobster. The crap they pawn off as healthy is loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat. The food isn't even that good! I mean really, I'm sitting here 50 lbs overweight and I can say with conviction that the food is too salty and oily to be palatable. It's just too damn much of a "good" thing. Not to mention the employees are often underpaid wage slaves with poor food handling hygiene because could they really give a s#!t? Does their boss give enough of a s&#t to train them? If they can't even wipe down tables between customers, what on EARTH are they doing in the kitchen?

Also, "cooking" to them is throwing frozen food that has traversed hundreds of miles from the mass slaughter house to the flash freezer to the deep fryer. I'm no vegetarian but I get disgusted when I think about the mass production of that food. But yeah, let's fry it for good measure, take highly saturated photos of it and call it something creative to sell as much as possible.

But.. TGIFridays... is so ... delicious! AND CHEAP. Guuuhhh! Wants!

Good thing in Winnipeg, the only TGIF is behind security at the airport so I can only go when I travel to Minneapolis (once a year) or fly somewhere (which I never do)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was at Lone Star (US Chain steakhouse) and my meal came a salad or lettuce wedge. I went with the lettuce wedge, but substituted balsamic for the blue cheese.

Turns out that even without any dressing the wedge of lettuce weighed in at about 400 calories!!

No, it didn't. Picture 5 gallon milk jugs. That's roughly how large a wedge of lettuce would have to be to be 400 calories.

They were either including dressing in the count, or there was other stuff in there (nuts, bacon?) besides lettuce.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just eat the protein and the vegetable- I'm lucky in the sense I'm not a big lover of carbs so yeah maybe I'll take a fry or two but I'm not too fussed. I'm just glad I have more room for something I do like- say steak or chicken and some veggies. And I'm getting better about eating till I'm not hungry instead of stuffing myself silly until I have bellyache!

It's a damage limitation exercise, you're never going to escape unharmed with this philosophy but if I think about it too hard, I ruin the meal for myself. Like I order the least calorific item which I probably don't really want but I feel obliged to have. I spend the meal with this flaccid pale steamed fish and potatoes in front of me (no sauce!) just drooling at somebody else's steak and tomato.

I'd rather eat out less often so I don't have to be so vigilant. So far it's working... so far... eek!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Outback Bloomin Onion - 1948cal
    bloom.jpg?w=1140&h=759
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was at Lone Star (US Chain steakhouse) and my meal came a salad or lettuce wedge. I went with the lettuce wedge, but substituted balsamic for the blue cheese.

Turns out that even without any dressing the wedge of lettuce weighed in at about 400 calories!!

Really? What was on it besides lettuce??

my guess is a large amount of blue cheese and bacon
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    RIBS! One rib has 150 calories?? I was shocked after eating 5 of them (and still starving) as they have barely any meat on them.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to a restaurant that I know is a Chain restaurant, I try to do my homework first. I look up the website and see if they have nutritional information. That way I can plan my meal in advance and try to reduce as many calories as possible. Isn't always applicable but I say try if you can!

I do this too. Applebees and Outback Steakhouse are two chains I will never give my money to again. Their calorie counts are freaking ridiculous.