100 calories/hr until late afternoon; normal dinner?

My greatest struggle with dieting is feeling super ravenous. I'm sitting around studying all day for a big exam that takes 3 months to study for so I need to snack. The more I concentrate, the hungrier I get. I've opened my diary and have logged everything I put in my mouth for the past few days. Today is the first time I'm doing 100 calories per hour from 6:30 to 2:30. I eat dinner at 6 so I don't mind the four hour fast.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Replies

• fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Sounds like emotional eating to me. And yes, I've been there :(
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Actually, I do struggle with emotional eating. I think I'm genuinely hungry, though. Perhaps that's why I have a problem -- it isn't *real* hunger! AHH.

How do you fix emotional eating?
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    I have yet to figure that out LOL
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    This is a mental thing that you will need to overcome. You don't "need" to snack every time you are studying for an exam or when something stressful is about to happen.

I know it's easier said than done, but you need to develop a healthy relationship where you control your food intake, not the food controlling you.

Make sure you are recording everything openly and honestly and use a kitchen scale to weigh everything. Make sure you are having quality meals too. You can eat anything on this diet and lose weight, ANYTHING. But, if all you eat is burgers at McDonald's you will be hungry again in an hour tops and you'll find yourself short on calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I only eat around 500-800 calories during the day then have a larger meal at night.

works out very well for me.

I also log everything in advance so I know what I"m eating. I drink more coffee and water and when I was studying- I bought rubber baby spoons to chew on- helped keep my brain/mouth connection busy without actually eating all day.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Planning.

I find I'm less likely to spontaneously eat random things if I already have my day pre-logged. I start thinking, "oh noes, if I eat this, it's going to completely throw off my macro balance, and then what if I have to sacrifice that ice cream I pre-logged in the evening!!!"

It keeps me on track.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Haven't you ever heard of "brain fuel"? Your brain burns calories too, and you need to be adequately fed to study and learn. When studying, trying to put down the snacks and only take a break every 1-2 hours for a bite. Or, if you feel you must eat, go for the volumetrics approach. This means that you eat foods that take up a lot of space in your stomach, but have very little calories. For example radishes only have 1 calorie each, so you could eat 100 radishes. You can eat almost 5 cups of greens and it's only 20 calories!! Almost all veggies fit into this category. I can guarantee you though, if you try to eat 300 calories of celery, you won't be able to or won't want to do it. You would be sick of it before you could eat that much. I eat all afternoon at work, but I only eat veggies, so it's usually only about 200 calories.

Another idea - take your studying somewhere where they don't allow food like the library. Stay away from studying in places that might trigger you to eat like Starbucks or at the kitchen table.