Burned 1687 Calories

Options
I went snow shoeing today for 3+ hours, we only took one 5 minute break, otherwise we just kept going. The loop was only about 8 miles, but it was tough...the snow was wet and heavy due to being late in the season, and the hills were tough. There were many soft spots where the snow was so soft that I sunk in about a foot or more. The toughest part was the last hill that we had to climb at the end of the loop, the hill was steep and icy, and we were very tired, but we made it.

If you want to burn lots of calories, so you can eat anything you want...go snow shoeing.

Replies

• neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went snow shoeing today for 3+ hours, we only took one 5 minute break, otherwise we just kept going. The loop was only about 8 miles, but it was tough...the snow was wet and heavy due to being late in the season, and the hills were tough. There were many soft spots where the snow was so soft that I sunk in about a foot or more. The toughest part was the last hill that we had to climb at the end of the loop, the hill was steep and icy, and we were very tired, but we made it.

If you want to burn lots of calories, so you can eat anything you want...go snow shoeing.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm an ignorant Las Vegan, what's snow shoeing?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    lol! you wear tennis racket-looking dodads on your feet and walk through snow. Kind of a cross-country skiing meets hiking routine. Very tiring, GOOD JOB! :drinker:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't know people actually did that. Thought it was something they just did in the cartoons. I live in the desert, what do I know? :happy:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    What's snow?
    :wink:
  • neverbeenskinny
    Options
    lol! you wear tennis racket-looking dodads on your feet and walk through snow. Kind of a cross-country skiing meets hiking routine. Very tiring, GOOD JOB! :drinker:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's the funniest way to describe snow shoeing that I've ever seen. You are TOO funny. :drinker:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Isn't that crazy. I haven't heard anyone talk about that in years and my hubby suggested doing
    that just yesterday :happy:
    We love to do crazy stuff like that and it's awesome to think you can burn that many calories in one
    day isn't it. Don't you wish you could do that everyday LOL :tongue:
    Man you make me want to do something insane like that now hahahha! My Monterey trip is coming up in
    3 wks...I'm getting pumped to do some intense biking :happy:
    Kelly :flowerforyou:
  • neverbeenskinny
    Options
    Isn't that crazy. I haven't heard anyone talk about that in years and my hubby suggested doing
    that just yesterday :happy:
    We love to do crazy stuff like that and it's awesome to think you can burn that many calories in one
    day isn't it. Don't you wish you could do that everyday LOL :tongue:
    Man you make me want to do something insane like that now hahahha! My Monterey trip is coming up in
    3 wks...I'm getting pumped to do some intense biking :happy:
    Kelly :flowerforyou:

Hey Kelly, you should absolutely do it, it was so much fun. I went into caloriesperhour.com and it actually gave me a higher calorie burned than this site, so I took the lower of the two. I'm into intense/insane workouts, and would do it everyday if I could. I'm just sorry to see the warmer weather coming so I won't be able to snow shoe again till next year. But no matter, intense hiking is good too, we have lots of mountains here and I love to hike up steep elevation gains, but the sad thing is, it doesn't burn as many calories as snow shoeing...oh well, there'll be next winter.

Have lots of fun biking in Monterey, let us know how you do. :drinker:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have been snow-shoeing, it is hard! I'm totally impressed by your 8 miles!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    ack, snow shoeing? Man, you really must love snow to do that. I can honestly say that I am completely and utterly sick and tired of snow. Course that might have something to do with the hours of shoveling I have to do every storm. And let me tell you, shoveling is HORRIBLE for your back, I don't care how good shape you are in, shovel 10 or 12 inches of that nasty, heavy, wet snow you get in N.E. for an hour or two and you will hate it too. Plus, the minute you finish, the plows come around and plow it right back onto your nice, shoveled drive way and walk way! *Grumble grumble*. It's enough to make you want to slash the tires of the hack plow drivers that get paid $50/hour to get their jolly's from ruining people's day (I actually know 2 different city contract plow drivers and they have both admitted they take note of promising targets and wait to plow till they are just about finished! it's sadistic and twisted!)
  • neverbeenskinny
    Options
    ack, snow shoeing? Man, you really must love snow to do that. I can honestly say that I am completely and utterly sick and tired of snow. Course that might have something to do with the hours of shoveling I have to do every storm. And let me tell you, shoveling is HORRIBLE for your back, I don't care how good shape you are in, shovel 10 or 12 inches of that nasty, heavy, wet snow you get in N.E. for an hour or two and you will hate it too. Plus, the minute you finish, the plows come around and plow it right back onto your nice, shoveled drive way and walk way! *Grumble grumble*. It's enough to make you want to slash the tires of the hack plow drivers that get paid $50/hour to get their jolly's from ruining people's day (I actually know 2 different city contract plow drivers and they have both admitted they take note of promising targets and wait to plow till they are just about finished! it's sadistic and twisted!)

Hi Banks,
    I'm sure that shoveling is horrible, especially on your back. I'm not a fan of that...but here in the Pacific NW, Seattle/Portland area, we hardly ever get snow in town, we go to the mountains to enjoy the snow. I think we've had maybe an inch or two all winter in town, but we've had record snow falls in the mountains which is less than an hour away, it works very well for recreation.