frustrated

Options
Is it normal to reach one of the dreaded plateu's (sp?) at my weight? I weigh 268 and I have lost a total of like 26 lbs in the last 5 months. But for two weeks now....nothing. No gaining, no losing. And I havent gone much over my calories recently AND I drink plenty of water. The only thing I can think of is I am plateuing. And if I am....how long will it last?!?!

Replies

• vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    have u measured yourself at all? ive been working out regularly and eating healthy for over a month now but havent really lost any weight its very frustrating so i started taking measurments in my hips and waist and each week i gradually lose an inch or 2 . You are prob just gaining muscle which weighs more then fat, i would suggest working out like 20 min longer each session and switching up some of the food u eat ur body may be getting used to watever u have been doing! good luck
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    try changing up your exercise rountine. another thing to check is are you actually eating what you are logging. I know myself I guess at what I think a serving is. I am thinking about investing in a food scale. my son tells me i am being anal when he sees me measuring out an actual cup of food. I really try not to focus on what the scale say and more to how my clothes fit me. Yet I am a scale addict still.
    i dont remember what you do for exercise. my trainer, suggest that you dont work the same muscles out twice in a row. although I do cardio 5 6o 6 days a week. Monday is Lower body Tuesday is Upper and Abs Wednesday cardio only Thursday Full Body Saturday I dont go to the gym (yard and farm work day) Sunday cardio only.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    what you doing for exercise?

Maybe you should mix it up. Do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    For some reason the past two months my weight loss stops for two weeks then picks up again. Last month I went 2 weeks without any loss showing on scale. I then loss 2 pounds a week for 3 weeks. Now I am back at the stall mode. So waiting to see if it changes on weigh in day this week. I would wait a bit longer before thinking about a plateau.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I switch between two different dance workout dvd's and walking. I do log EVERYTHING I eat as well as measure and weigh the foods. BUT I do eat pretty much the same foods all the time.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Every time I reach a plateau (and yes it is VERY frustrating) and I'm also saying I'm not cheating by "much," I know EXACTLY why I've reached the plateau.

Re-assess
    Re-commit

and I

Re-assure - the plateau will go away. You CAN do this!!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    no strength training?

ever thought about going vegetarian 3 times a week so you can increase & vary your fresh veg intake?
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Every time I reach a plateau (and yes it is VERY frustrating) and I'm also saying I'm not cheating by "much," I know EXACTLY why I've reached the plateau.

Re-assess
    Re-commit

and I

Re-assure - the plateau will go away. You CAN do this!!

Yes!! this pretty much sums up what I was gonna say :smile:
  • azlady7
    Options
    no strength training?

ever thought about going vegetarian 3 times a week so you can increase & vary your fresh veg intake?

I was vegetarian many years ago, but I gotta be honest....I LOVE chicken and fish and an occasional steak (about once a year lol). I probably should have told everyone.....the last few days have been bad due to two bdays in a row....my hubby's and sons. I dont normally eat like my diary shows lol
  • azlady7
    Options
    no strength training?

oh yeah forgot this one. No I dont do much of that, since I naturally have good muscle tone. I dont know if its lugging around all this weight that keeps my muscles VERY well built or the laps I do all summer long lol
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I seem to plateau every 6 weeks or so. I will have a good drop one week, go a few weeks slowly dropping, then peter out to nothing for 2-3 weeks. Then it starts over... big drop, dribble dribble dribble, nothing.....

Everyone is different. Shake up your routine, get outta the rut for a couple weeks. Up the cals, or lower the cals. Do something different for exercise. Eat dinner for breakfast.... do something different. Confuzzle your body.
  • azlady7
    Options
    I seem to plateau every 6 weeks or so. I will have a good drop one week, go a few weeks slowly dropping, then peter out to nothing for 2-3 weeks. Then it starts over... big drop, dribble dribble dribble, nothing.....

Everyone is different. Shake up your routine, get outta the rut for a couple weeks. Up the cals, or lower the cals. Do something different for exercise. Eat dinner for breakfast.... do something different. Confuzzle your body.

Thanks guys for the responses! I think I will just switch stuff up!