1000 a day calorie diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I was actually put on a 1000 a day calorie diet by my dietitian on Tuesday. I am 23 years old and 261 pounds :(. I work about 50 hours a week at one job go to school at night and i have a pt job on sunday from 2-11 (being a broke college student sucks!!) I have high stress and anxiety which im trying to find the best ways to control it without pills.

My Question is since im always on the go can someone take a look at my food diary and kind of idk hint me on what to incorporate??

Your diary isn't open. If you want people to take a look you may want to open the diary so people can get a better idea of what you are currently eating.

Like others have mentioned the 1000 calorie a day diet seems really low especially for someone that is on the go with work and college.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think you go by how you feel. I ate 1000 calories a day at first and felt great and had lots of energy. When I started weight lifting I got a lot hungrier so I ate more. Now I eat about 11-1200 and it's enough. Your body will tell you if you need calories. Don't let yourself get lightheaded or feeling depleted.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Was he actually a state registered dietician? I would go to your doctor and ask them to refer you to one they recommend
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    id say get a second opinion on your diet. 1000 is very low for someone your size and age

I second this advice
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1000 seems very low to me. You will obviously lose "fast" on that diet, but your body will catch on and slow it's metabolic rate and you won't burn as many calories. I would look into boosting that maybe up to about 1200-1500 per day so your metabolism doesn't sink. I wouldn't think any reputable dietician would recommend 1000. The goal is about 1-3 pounds per week at the max to lose.
  • AthenasWiseOwl
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 177 lbs, still I cannot feel satisfied with 1000 calories. If I'm on 1000 - calorie diet, I'd probably feel weak all the day and have a binge attack. In my opinion, taking your stats into consideration and being active, you should not lower your calories below 1800 calories.
  • elizabethharper123
    Options
    you all need to chill, 1,000 calories a day is fine :p Just eat really nutrient rich foods
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    you all need to chill, 1,000 calories a day is fine :p Just eat really nutrient rich foods
    strong first post. you know nothing john snow
  • NewYearRes2013
    NewYearRes2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That will be hard to maintain. 1200-1400 is low enough for weight loss and will be easier on you as you get started.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree with most other posters, 1000 is way too low. You will likely loose weight initially but it will be a struggle filled with hunger and cravings. It will not be a healthy weight lose for sure. The damage you will do to your metabolism will then take time to repair.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you're not concerned with anything other than weight
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I would get a different dietician. Also, if you want to respond to people, press the 'quote' button at the bottom of the response you want to respond to.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion or even a third. Just because someone has a "credential" doesn't mean they're right or even good at what they do.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I was actually put on a 1000 a day calorie diet by my dietitian on Tuesday. I am 23 years old and 261 pounds :(. I work about 50 hours a week at one job go to school at night and i have a pt job on sunday from 2-11 (being a broke college student sucks!!) I have high stress and anxiety which im trying to find the best ways to control it without pills.

My Question is since im always on the go can someone take a look at my food diary and kind of idk hint me on what to incorporate??

here are a few suggestions for food to include in your diet (your diary's not open) and should be able to eat on the go.

hard boiled eggs
    lean turkey
    high protein boca burgers
    nuts
    look for a low sugar high protein bar (my husband likes builder bar)
    fish (i don't eat fish so can't help with suggestions)
    lean meats (96% lean hamburger, loads of veggies all stuffed in a few tortilla wraps
    oatmeal
    greek yogurt
    peanut butter
    chicken
    beans
    avocado
    chick peas (or hummus) dry out the chick peas in the oven and enjoy
    hard cheese
    string cheese
    grains (brown rice, quinoa, barley) - you could make yourself a homemade burrito with these
  • gaucincyn
    gaucincyn Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you this helped alot ! :)