How do you make shiritaki noodles less disgusting?

Options
goshnames
goshnames Posts: 359 Member
I have heard some people say that if you "dry fry" the noodles, the texture and smell/taste improve drastically. As someone who is generally not well versed in cooking, I am wondering if anyone could give me specific cooking instructions.

I have only tried the noodles once. Not knowing what I was getting into, I microwaved them. It was...terrible. Very stinky and very rubbery. I am willing to try one more time if anyone knows how to cook these things up right.

Thanks!

Replies

• tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    im making some tonight.

i hear that if you rinse them thoroughly in hot water then dry fry them (spray non stick pan with some pam, let them cook until most of the water is gone, i dont think you have to stir very much) until they are bone dry. then add in meet, seasoning, veggies and sauces. there is someone on here that has tons of great recipes. try going back 6 pages or so. there is a post about shirataki noodles
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I rinse them under running water for several minutes
    pay dry to absorb some water with paper towels
    then I dry cook them until they sort of squeak when you move them around

I really like them !!

there was a lady who posted a lot of great shiritaki recipes here.... Try a board search and you might find her, she gave good tips on cooking them
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    the easiest way is just to avoid eating them. What others have said is good advice too.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just throw them out and grab a box of pasta
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    you don't
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy tofu shirataki noodles! A great pasta replacement and low-calorie, filling dinner option. You need to rinse them very well, and throw them in a skillet. If you have any seasonings or vegetables that need to be cooked, throw them in now as well. DO NOT microwave or even boil in a saucepan. I usually turn the dial on my stove to medium high, and they are done in 7-8 minutes. At first, you won't notice much happening, but after a few minutes, you'll notice that lots of liquid has filled the skillet. That's the water/packaging liquid cooking out of the noodles. Many people don't do this step, so when they eat them, there's actually that fishy-smelling curd liquid still inside of them. Keep simmering until you notice that most, if not all of the liquid is gone. Then, add your sauce and other toppings. I usually continue stirring until the sauce is also boiling, and then garnish before serving. See one of my favorite recipes below.

Tofu Shirataki "Spaghetti" in a Tomato Cream Sauce

8 ounces tofu shirataki "spaghetti-style", dry-fried before adding the sauce
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup diced tomatoes
    Garlic, to taste
    Onion, to taste
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Oregano, to taste
    1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

You dry-fry your noodles with all of the above seasonings and diced tomatoes, and when done, add the tomato sauce, low-fat cream cheese and water. Simmer until sauce has thickened and garnish with grated parmesan. The entire plate was around 350 calories! :)

68vmvs.jpg

10nggus.jpg

I also make a delicious roast tomato carbonara, and cajun fettuccine alfredo. There's tons of different options! Good luck, and feel free to add me! :)
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy tofu shirataki noodles! A great pasta replacement and low-calorie, filling dinner option. You need to rinse them very well, and throw them in a skillet. If you have any seasonings or vegetables that need to be cooked, throw them in now as well. DO NOT microwave or even boil in a saucepan. I usually turn the dial on my stove to medium high, and they are done in 7-8 minutes. At first, you won't notice much happening, but after a few minutes, you'll notice that lots of liquid has filled the skillet. That's the water/packaging liquid cooking out of the noodles. Many people don't do this step, so when they eat them, there's actually that fishy-smelling curd liquid still inside of them. Keep simmering until you notice that most, if not all of the liquid is gone. Then, add your sauce and other toppings. I usually continue stirring until the sauce is also boiling, and then garnish before serving. See one of my favorite recipes below.

Tofu Shirataki "Spaghetti" in a Tomato Cream Sauce

8 ounces tofu shirataki "spaghetti-style", dry-fried before adding the sauce
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup diced tomatoes
    Garlic, to taste
    Onion, to taste
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Oregano, to taste
    1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

You dry-fry your noodles with all of the above seasonings and diced tomatoes, and when done, add the tomato sauce, low-fat cream cheese and water. Simmer until sauce has thickened and garnish with grated parmesan. The entire plate was around 350 calories! :)

68vmvs.jpg

10nggus.jpg

I also make a delicious roast tomato carbonara, and cajun fettuccine alfredo. There's tons of different options! Good luck, and feel free to add me! :)

That looks beautiful :) Will have to try.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just went to spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. I could not get past the smell. If I have enough calories to spare, I just eat pasta
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I rinse them really well, then sauté them with a little bit of bullion and some water until the water is gone. They soak up the flavoring of the bullion. Then I'll add whatever sounds good. That tomato sauce looks awesome!
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are several recipes for the shiritaki noodles on Hungry-Girl.com.